The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2019, 10:49:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 10:49:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Famous Curses from Fiction  (Read 21571 times)
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 16, 2007, 09:19:58 am »

I'm surprised that none of you mentioned the Harry Potter books!  They're chock full of curses and "black magic".  Cheesy Wink

Arvada Kadavra anybody?

I actually thought that myself, and was fixing to mention it, when I noticed you beat me to it!  Cheesy

Harry Potter, with his famous scar....

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: September 16, 2007, 01:02:02 pm »

Imperio! Edit that post and remove the "r" - it's Avada Kadavra! Cheesy

Sorry...I tend to read it as "Arvada" even.  Embarrassed

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:September 14, 2019, 06:07:21 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 17, 2007, 04:33:15 am »

...In what other famous works (books, movies, art, opera, whatever) do curses figure prominently?

Pirates of the Caribbean, yo.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: September 17, 2007, 01:32:51 pm »

...In what other famous works (books, movies, art, opera, whatever) do curses figure prominently?

Continuing with Potter, Voldemort cursed the Defense Against the Dark Arts position so that each teacher would only last one year.

In Charmed Grams cursed her engagement ring to turn its wearer into a 50's housewife (even turning her black and white).  It's inscribed with the words "To gain another is to lose oneself."

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 18, 2007, 02:09:11 am »

The Curse of Chalion.
The Mummy's Curse.
The Curse of the Viking Grave (I didn't read it so I don't know if it's a real curse, there.)

And of course, all the various incarnations of Sleeping Beauty.
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 18, 2007, 10:56:41 am »

The Curse of Chalion.
The Mummy's Curse.
The Curse of the Viking Grave (I didn't read it so I don't know if it's a real curse, there.)

And of course, all the various incarnations of Sleeping Beauty.

Sleeping Beauty--of course! Thanks, Sefiru; it doesn't get more classic than that one. Do you remember exactly how that curse worked/was worded? I recall something about how if she ever pricked her finger with a needle, she would fall into sleep forever...or something like that. Or is that just in the Disneyfied version?

I'm not familiar enough with the Mummy movies (neither Karloff classic nor Brendan Frasier updates) to remember exactly how that curse supposedly worked.

And what's The Curse of Chalion?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #21: September 18, 2007, 11:08:27 am »

I recall something about how if she ever pricked her finger with a needle, she would fall into sleep forever...or something like that. Or is that just in the Disneyfied version?

The original curse was that on her sixteenth birthday, she would prick her finger on a spindle and die.  The death was commuted to sleeping until true love's first kiss or something along those lines by the lone remaining fairy godmother who hadn't yet bestowed her magical gift upon the princess at the time of the curse.  That's how it goes in Disney, but IIRC that's not one of the things they changed...  of course it's been a long time since I looked at a non-Disney version, so I may be wrong.

Speaking of fairy-tale curses, though, there's Princess Fiona's princess-by-day/ogre-by-night curse in Shrek.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 11:10:26 am by Star, Reason: HTML... BBcode... whatever. *grumble* » Logged

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 18, 2007, 11:31:45 am »

Do songs count?  My all time favorite curse, from "Nell Flaherty's Drake":

Bad luck to the robber, be he drunk or sober,
That murdered Nell Flaherty's beautiful drake.

May his spade never dig, may his sow never pig,
May each hair in his wig be well thrashed with a flail;
May his turkey not hatch, may the rats eat his meal.
May every old fairy from Cork to Dunleary
Dip him smug and airy in river or lake,
That the eel and the trout, they may dine on the snout
Of the monster that murdered Nell Flaherty's drake.

May his pig never grunt, may his cat never hunt,
May a ghost ever haunt him at dead of the night;
May his hens never lay, may his horse never neigh,
May his goat fly away like an old paper kite.
That the flies and the fleas may the wretch ever tease,
May the piercing March breeze make him shiver an shake;
May a lump of a stick raise the bumps fast and thick
Of the monster that murdered Nell Flaherty's drake.

(This was written in the 1800's, so I'm assuming public domain.  If there's copyright concerns, let me know and I'll just link to a page with the lyric.) 

Apparently, the drake is supposed to be "code" for Robert Emmett.  It's funnier if it's just a duck, though...
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #23: September 18, 2007, 11:37:23 am »

(This was written in the 1800's, so I'm assuming public domain.  If there's copyright concerns, let me know and I'll just link to a page with the lyric.) 

1800's should be OK.  If you're concerned about something like this, though, it's better to be safe than sorry.  Wink  But this one should be fine, as I understand it.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: September 18, 2007, 12:04:59 pm »

Speaking of fairy-tale curses, though, there's Princess Fiona's princess-by-day/ogre-by-night curse in Shrek.

What about Eleanor (Ella) of Frell in Ella Enchanted?  She was given the 'gift' of obedience by a fairy godmother so that she had to obey anyone who gave her a direct command.  Fun movie, btw.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #25: September 18, 2007, 12:09:16 pm »

The original curse was...

I should clarify this, because even I was confused when I reread it, and I wrote the post.  By "original" here I meant to refer to the curse before the fairy godmother messed with it, not "original" in the sense of how the story was originally told, given that (as I said later in the post) I'm not 100% sure I've got the latter as correct as I think I do.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 18, 2007, 12:25:57 pm »

That reminds me of the curse in the movie Ladyhawke--that Rutger Hauer's character would be a man by day and a wolf by night, and Isabeau, Michelle Pfeiffer's character, would be a hawk by day and a woman by night...a total eclipse of the sun being the only time the curse would lift and both could meet as humans.

(Which reminds me--departing momentarily from fiction--of the Curse of the Bambino on the Boston Red Sox, which was only broken on the night of a total lunar eclipse.)

I'm not sure if either work is sufficiently famous--not rising to the classic level of Sleeping Beauty or Tolkein--but hey.

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: September 18, 2007, 12:27:36 pm »

Do songs count?  My all time favorite curse, from "Nell Flaherty's Drake":

Apparently, the drake is supposed to be "code" for Robert Emmett.  It's funnier if it's just a duck, though...

Songs count. I'd never heard of this; thanks for posting it.

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #28: September 18, 2007, 12:41:15 pm »

That reminds me of the curse in the movie Ladyhawke--that Rutger Hauer's character would be a man by day and a wolf by night, and Isabeau, Michelle Pfeiffer's character, would be a hawk by day and a woman by night...a total eclipse of the sun being the only time the curse would lift and both could meet as humans.

Wow.  My brain must be baby-rotted indeed; I can't believe I didn't come up with that one, especially after coming up with another day/night one.

They're not Tolkien, but they're fairly well-known.  *shrug*

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: September 18, 2007, 12:47:36 pm »

Sleeping Beauty--of course! Thanks, Sefiru; it doesn't get more classic than that one. Do you remember exactly how that curse worked/was worded? I recall something about how if she ever pricked her finger with a needle, she would fall into sleep forever...or something like that. Or is that just in the Disneyfied version?

It depends on the version; there are several here:

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type0410.html

Only the Grimms have a kiss waking her -- and even then, it's because he came at the right time, after 100 years had passed.  The wall of thorns parted for him, as they hadn't for those who had tried earlier (the Grimms have the gruesome touch of the earlier princes dying in the thorns).  In Perrault, again, the prince walks in just as the 100 years are up; he doesn't even kiss her, just kneels down by her bed.

Basile's "Sun, Moon and Talia" is one of the earlier recorded versions, and it's funky.  Prince comes across sleeping Talia, rapes her -- which doesn't wake her up -- and goes on his way.  She eventually wakes when one of the children from this "union" sucks the fateful bit of flax from her finger.  There's also no actual curse in this version -- it's just a prophecy made by astrologers.

The Grimms' version, despite the macabre touches, is probably the most straightforwardly romantic, as it stops with the waking of Sleeping Beauty; the others continue with a conflict between SB and another woman connected to the prince (in Perrault, his mother, in Basile, his WIFE), who wants to have the children and SB killed and eaten.  The happy ending comes after the evil woman dies.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)