The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 29, 2020, 02:19:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2020, 02:19:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Was just wondering... if it can be too late for a person to become involved?  (Read 6588 times)
estranged newby
Last Login:September 19, 2007, 06:35:52 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: unknown

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 16, 2007, 05:39:06 pm »

Sad Embarrassed   I was just wondering if it can be... too late, for someone to get into paganism, and how other people started out into it...

I always felt a kind of... kinship with paganism, but, I never knew anyone growing up who was pagan or pagan interested, and when I did try eventually and follow it, I guess, I probably got talking to the wrong people, people who probably weren't that genuinely pagan after all, looking back, and got kind of put/scared off...  I only really got proper internet recently, and like I said, I've never really known anyone I could talk to about it before...

How did others of you first start out on this? -How did you know you were pagan, to ask the first stupid question?  I'm not totally brainless, but since for me this is more about things I feel than facts, if you don't know anyone you can talk to and see if you have something in common,  can you get to a stage where it's too late to start down such a big road? When you've gone too far without?

Sorry- I don't know if I've explained it well. I'd apprectiate any of your opinions...?  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 05:40:48 pm by estranged newby » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 16, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »

How did others of you first start out on this? -How did you know you were pagan, to ask the first stupid question?  I'm not totally brainless, but since for me this is more about things I feel than facts, if you don't know anyone you can talk to and see if you have something in common,  can you get to a stage where it's too late to start down such a big road? When you've gone too far without?

It's never too late.

We've got a student this year in the group I work with who's 65. (Which is sometimes a little weird for me: she's only slightly younger than my mother.) It's great, though - she brings a huge range of different experiences and thoughts to our conversations. (I've got a note on the age bit: it's at the end.)

For the rest of your questions:

1) How'd I know?
I had Pagan friends when I was in college and actively Catholic. My sophomore year, some weird stuff happened, and I learned basic energy work (grounding, shielding, centering) as a survival skill. From there, I got intellectually curious, and then as I felt less and less like Catholicism was the right place for me, spent some time exploring options. I eventually found a group (5 years after that sophomore year in college) that was a good fit for me, and I've been there since.

2) Talking about it:
Here is a good start! Most of us are really familiar with the "I don't know how to explain this" issue. If you're willing to try, people here are likely to be willing to try and make sense. (Just be prepared to be willing to try a different phrasing, answer questions, etc. if you ask for help: people may ask so they can figure out how to better suit what you're looking for. It's fine to say "I have no idea: could you just talk about stuff, and I'll ask when I'm confused?"

3) Can you ever go too far?
I don't think so. I do think there are some patterns which, when you learn them, may be more engrained. This doesn't mean you can't unlearn them - but it does mean it might take you longer, or might mean you need to go at learning some stuff in a different way.

On the age thing:
I bring this up because I've had mixed experiences with it in a particular setting. I don't think *anyone's* too old to learn - I do think that some people get rigid about who they're willing to learn from.

I've had a bad experience with someone who wouldn't listen to younger teachers when they told her things she didn't want to hear (about how things are done in the specific area where she was requesting teaching.) The 65-year-old I mention above doesn't do that: we all recognise that she's got tons of life experience we don't yet: but she recognises that we know specific skills, and have specific ritual experiences, etc. that she wants to learn from. When we're in class, we're clear on the relationship. (When we're being social, it's a little different, and more even.)

That's really my only caution, though: if you're asking for help, you want it from people with experience with what you want help with. In some cases, they may be somewhat or quite a bit younger. This isn't a big deal as long as everyone's sensible about what that means.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: September 16, 2007, 07:17:52 pm »

Sad Embarrassed   I was just wondering if it can be... too late, for someone to get into paganism, and how other people started out into it...

Welcome to the Cauldron!

I don't see why it would be too late.  FWIW, according to your profile we're the same age, and if I felt called to a religious path other than the one I'm on, Pagan or otherwise, I wouldn't be hesitating over whether it was "too late".  We've (at least theoretically) got plenty of life ahead of us in which to learn and explore a new faith--and even if we didn't, why should that stop us?  Wink

I mostly knew because I found a description of Wiccan beliefs and went, "Oh, hey, that sounds like me!"  Since then I've decided Wicca specifically wasn't as close a match as I thought, but for a lot of complex reasons I've held onto the more generic "Pagan" label.  And what I feel is definitely part of that, btw.  I mean, I don't think that "feeling Pagan" is enough to really merit claiming the label all by itself, but it's certainly part of it.  Especially since the label itself is so poorly defined in the first place... 

One way to help make the task of going down that big road more manageable might be to narrow your field.  Paganism covers a lot of ground; if you can narrow it down even to a broad category like "things like Wicca" or "things having to do with Egypt" or "really informal stuff", you can get some sort of sense of general direction at least.  You could check out our Pagan Primer to start with:
http://www.ecauldron.com/newpagan.php

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: September 16, 2007, 07:22:59 pm »

I just want to jump on the "it's never too late" bandwagon.

I was in my early 20s when I first really started looking at paganism, went through a long time of agnosticism, then finally came back.  It's only been quite recently that I've *really* learned where I belong and to Whom.

A question back at you:  If you were considering joining a more mainstream religious tradition, say, Catholicism, a Protestand Christian denomination, or Judaism, would you be concerned about being too old?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: September 16, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »

I was in my early 20s when I first really started looking at paganism, went through a long time of agnosticism, then finally came back.  It's only been quite recently that I've *really* learned where I belong and to Whom.

Which reminds me that I forgot to say something similar.  I've been Pagan since about the time I was twenty, but it's only recently I've figured out where that's really taking me.  I've known "to Whom" for longer, but even that took a few years.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: September 16, 2007, 08:13:46 pm »

Other people have gone on the 'too late' thing, so I'll just focus on these.

I don't know that I ever "knew I was pagan", as if it were some sort of revelation like knowing my sexual orientation or something like that.  There's no big reveal to be had there, any more than I had to go through a process of knowing I was a college student when I was in college, if that makes sense.

I was raised by secular Christian parents, had a little association with a church as a kid, and mostly came away from the experience going, "... that god isn't interested in me personally.  I want a god who's interested in me personally."  The stuff there didn't speak to me.

When I was introduced to Wicca in the early 90s, the stuff there spoke to me a bit better in some ways than the stuff I grew up with.  I poked around that for a while, and then drifted off again, because it wasn't that much better; I came away a bit more secure in polytheism and with some doctrinal stuff that I needed to clear through, and that's about it.

At various points, usually when looking for unrelated things, I came away with things that I felt the need to pursue, because it had useful approaches or tools, because it was beautiful in a way that speaks to me; I kept a number of those.  I was not in contact with 'the pagan community' when I found my spiritual home; I was doing an unrelated websearch and came across things that finally left me finding things that turned out to actually mostly work for me.

None of this was a 'know you are pagan', so much as, well, these things make sense, they happen to be called 'pagan', I guess I'll use that word.  Descriptive, not revelatory, sort of like my hair colour.

(I am really fairly prosaic about all this stuff.  Except when I'm not.)

It's too late to find things about how your life works when you're dead.  So long as you have space to live in ... I don't understand where the problem comes in.

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: September 16, 2007, 08:26:55 pm »

Welcome to The Cauldron!

As others have already said, it's never too late. I was in my 30's before I started really looking into pagan religions. Though looking back, the mindset was probably there for much longer.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 16, 2007, 08:36:35 pm »

Too late? Never!!!

Religion / spirituality is a path, whatever beliefs you already have are where you are standing on your path right now, but you never know where the path will take you. Sometimes you come right back to the beginning, I have done that a couple of times, before spiraling off again in another direction. It's all a learning experience really.  That is why it is never too late, it is never to late to learn, or seek knowledge.

How did I start? I don't know. I was raised as a Christian, but even as a child I loved the idea of witchcraft, I used to check out every book about witches and folklore I could at the library. It seems I was always drawn to Ancient Egypt too.

I "officially" started off the Christian path at age 13. I couldn't get into the whole "other religions are wrong" aspect. I don't see Christianity as bad mind you, just not right for me. I read a lot about all kinds of religions and I don't really fit totally into one slot, my beliefs kind of overlap.

I did a lot of research on the pagan origins of Christianity, the similarities of religions, ancient religions, eastern philosophies, oh, you name it.

I am not a youngster, and I still learn something new all the time.

Blessings along your path.
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 16, 2007, 09:37:29 pm »

It's never "too late". I have several Students in their 50s.
Keeper o Duckshoed Muse
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 09, 2008, 09:18:15 pm

Religion: A Craftsman Witch with Elemental leanings

Dancing a delicate line and loving every moment.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 16, 2007, 09:50:07 pm »

Sad Embarrassed   I was just wondering if it can be... too late, for someone to get into paganism, and how other people started out into it...[snip]

Sorry- I don't know if I've explained it well. I'd apprectiate any of your opinions...?  Smiley

Truthfully I'm with everyone else here, the only time it is too late to start down a new path, is when your legs are no longer able to carry you there.  As my mother is ever fond of saying, "Well if you wanna do it, get off your dead ass onto your dying feet and get movin'!"  (I love my mother  Grin)

As to the idea of knowing your pagan, for me its a lot like learning anything else about yourself.  It's all there to start with, sometimes you just have to pay closer attention to notice it!  It took me nearly twenty years of living before I did.

I've been an avid reader and researcher of anything and everything mythological, literary, and/or fantasy since my mother taught me to read.  I spent more time outside playing in the trees and river behind my home than I did with my barbies, wanted to be a witch every year at Halloween because in my early opinion 'Princesses suck monkey toes!'  But at the time, I didn't know what a Pagan was, much less how to follow my path.

Then came the glorious years of teen angst and martyrdom that my entire family suffered through.   Wink  I discovered my interest in it around then, but wasn't able to find a lot of resources in the school libraries (I suffered from the I-must-have-a-How-To-Book-to-be-a-witch syndrome!)  And while I didn't really start to practice or study until I left my parents home, I kind of always had a feeling that I wasn't Christian.  My parents are Southern Baptists, and lovely ones at that!  But I never felt the connection to their god and church, so I finally went about looking for information. 

I found some rather entertaining resources that make me groan now with how naive I was, but I at least began to search.  Now a few years later I'm more aware of who and what I am spiritually, and I'm paying more attention now.  It's not that it suddenly came into my life, I just finally became aware of it enough to actually give it a name!

*looks above at her typing* Oh dear frogs and fairies, I rambled!

Ducky

I take responsibility for my insanity only!
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2020, 07:39:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: September 16, 2007, 11:16:48 pm »

the I-must-have-a-How-To-Book-to-be-a-witch syndrome
I am so stealing that expression!

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Keeper o Duckshoed Muse
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 09, 2008, 09:18:15 pm

Religion: A Craftsman Witch with Elemental leanings

Dancing a delicate line and loving every moment.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 17, 2007, 01:12:02 am »

I am so stealing that expression!

Sunflower

Feel free!  I like that one, and the "If you don't play nice I'm taking my flying monkeys and going home!" expression for when people irritate me in general.   Roll Eyes

Always good for a giggle.

Ducky

I take responsibility for my insanity only!
skybyrd
Journeyman
Last Login:April 06, 2009, 01:25:50 am

Religion: Feral Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: September 17, 2007, 04:24:09 am »

To me, being a Pagan is less about how I feel, and more about a choice I made.  When I was first working on my sprituality, I was looking at every religion I could find, and none fit.  I include Pagan religions in this statement.  Like most people, I was first introduced to Wicca, and when that didn't quite work, I gave up for a while. When I started again, I looked at *everything*, Christianity (I *read* the bible), Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Bhuddism, Druid paths, other Celtic paths, Greek paths, Egyptian paths, everything.  Nothing fit.  I finally meditated and got a visitation from the being that I call the Creator.  I thought I was done, and stopped looking.  I was essentially monotheistic, but still called myself a Pagan, though I didn't follow any of the "known" paths.  I did this because Pagans are (in general) people I get along with most.  I don't agree with everyone and everything, but I'm comfortable in the community.  There's a good thread in Special topics about defining the term Pagan.  It's a slippery term, because so many different things fall under the umbrella of being a Pagan. 

I know that it can be scary standing at the start of a path, and seeing how long it is.  But once you step foot on it, you start to realize that its not as long as you thought, the going is easier than you thought, and you are just happy to be walking.  Don't feel rushed, take your time.  Just take a deep breath, and look around you.  You've already taken the first step by coming here.  You now *do* have people to talk to about this, you aren't alone anymore. 

Welcome!

Hannibal
Journeyman
Last Login:March 02, 2010, 01:58:41 pm

Religion: Kemetic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 17, 2007, 08:24:54 am »

I'm gonna say what alot of people have said on the subject of if its to late or not. Its never to late to change your beliefs. Just as long as your sincere about it. Do whatever feels right to you. Smiley

"Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas."-Emiliano Zapata Salazar. Translation-It is better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
 ego mos reperio a via vel ego mos planto unus Translation-I will find a way or I will make one
http://dragcave.net/user/Hannibal
Kazer
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 08, 2008, 07:33:55 am
China China

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: September 17, 2007, 11:15:45 am »

Just so everyone doesn't have to look at the same thing over and over: You CAN be too old to start new.

And now, back to my actual opinion Cheesy

Really, I certainly have to agree, you can never be too old. Well, as long as you're young enough to comprehend your surroundings that is Smiley

How did others of you first start out on this? -How did you know you were pagan, to ask the first stupid question? 

I don't generally think that choosing your path is something that comes in a split second thwap or anything, it's more of a general thing that could take anywhere from a couple days to several years! You should always keep that in mind and always keep open for new information. Smiley

Life's a witch and then you fly.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.