The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 29, 2020, 03:08:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2020, 03:08:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Was just wondering... if it can be too late for a person to become involved?  (Read 6589 times)
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 17, 2007, 01:37:47 pm »

How did others of you first start out on this? -How did you know you were pagan, to ask the first stupid question?  I'm not totally brainless, but since for me this is more about things I feel than facts, if you don't know anyone you can talk to and see if you have something in common,  can you get to a stage where it's too late to start down such a big road? When you've gone too far without?

I didn’t start labeling myself a Pagan until about a year ago when my faith became stronger and I became a whole lot more mature. I grew up in a house were religion was a mute point and really didn’t affect me. I guess you could say that I spent my childhood as an atheist. God who? But during my early teen years I began to get the sense that something was not quite right in Reona-land and this mostly stemmed from my continued believe in “little kid stuff”, as my parents put it. My father once asked me when I wanted to redecorate my room, which was a display place for unicorns, dragons, and any other fantasy objects I could get my hands on. I was dumbfounded. Why would I want to change my beautiful room? This was probably my first clue that I’m a little off.

During my teens I soaked up information about all sorts of religions, from those that could be labeled as Pagan to the mainstream Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. I wanted to know everything. It’s my greatest strength and my greatest weakness. And I wanted to be a witch. That had always stayed with me since childhood when I had to give up my desire to fly on a broom when “reality” decided to intrude. Then I learned I could be a witch in modern day. That little revelation happened in my late teens and grew during my early twenties into a serious study of Witchcraft and the many, many types of religions that fall under Paganism.

I think most of us can’t point to a moment in our lives where we can say “There. Right at that moment I began a Pagan.” For many of us it was just something that grew in us. It was something that we had always carried around in us until we could name it something. Some of us still can’t name it something.

I’d like to welcome you to The Cauldron. I’ve found it to be a very supportive place with knowledgeable people and good resources. You now have a great place to explore and ask questions. Here, you have lots of people you can talk to.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Syrbal
Master Member
Last Login:September 08, 2008, 04:18:48 pm

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 17, 2007, 02:45:51 pm »

Sad Embarrassed   I was just wondering if it can be... too late, for someone to get into paganism, and how other people started out into it...

You have lots of good advice here already, so just my two cents for grins:

Can it be too late?  Are you still breathing and alive?  Then it isn't too late.

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Blows straight into the face of time
Like a stormwind that will ring the freedom bell" (Scorpions)
Syrbal
Master Member

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 17, 2007, 02:47:33 pm »

Feel free!  I like that one, and the "If you don't play nice I'm taking my flying monkeys and going home!" expression for when people irritate me in general.   Roll Eyes

Always good for a giggle.

Ducky

Now, see, I do that one differently.  "If you don't play nice, I am telling my flying monkeys to shit all over your veranda and car windshields."

Always good for an evil cackle.

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
Syrbal
Master Member

This is my happy face!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 17, 2007, 02:50:33 pm »

I do think there are some patterns which, when you learn them, may be more engrained. This doesn't mean you can't unlearn them - but it does mean it might take you longer, or might mean you need to go at learning some stuff in a different way.

On the age thing:
I bring this up because I've had mixed experiences with it in a particular setting. I don't think *anyone's* too old to learn - I do think that some people get rigid about who they're willing to learn from.

As always Jenett, you hit the biggest nail squarely on the head. 

Syrbal the Gone

"The wind of change
estranged newby
Last Login:September 19, 2007, 06:35:52 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: unknown

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 18, 2007, 12:04:18 pm »

<breath of relief>
Thank you so much for your positive responses. And thanks for the advice, link and 'welcome's Smiley
I suppose I wouldn't feel so worried about it being 'too late' for me if it were a more 'mainstream' religion... but then I'd have had a lot more access to looking into things with people there visibly you can go to, and without so many negative reactions/rejections to my enquiries.

I guess I just feel older than my actual years sometimes, after everything, and especially when these things have been knocking about in your head for so long...

Thanks again for answering Shocked) and it's nice to know that some people have had some similar experiences.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 18, 2007, 12:10:01 pm »

Sad Embarrassed   I was just wondering if it can be... too late, for someone to get into paganism, and how other people started out into it...

This is a bit of an irony today. My art teacher told us of when he went to the States for art university/college, and how he had never golfed before. They asked him if he had ever golfed, and he said no. They asked how old he was, and at the time he was 27 (so he said so). And then they went, "You're too old to try."

The moral of the story is.. you're never told old to do something. Smiley

.. Well. Except for maybe bungee jumping.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 19, 2007, 11:19:03 am »

I suppose I wouldn't feel so worried about it being 'too late' for me if it were a more 'mainstream' religion... but then I'd have had a lot more access to looking into things with people there visibly you can go to, and without so many negative reactions/rejections to my enquiries.

Perhaps now would be the time to take advantage of your new internet and search for a place where you can go to see people of a like mind. Many people on this forum are in the UK or may just know of places in the UK where you can go. It might take a bit of traveling [hope you have a car] but it would be worth it for the human connection. I visit a shop that takes me 30 minutes to get to but I like it so much that the time doesn’t really matter to me. I’m not part of the group they have set up but it’s a great place to ask questions and connect.

sile
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 12, 2008, 03:28:39 pm

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 21, 2007, 12:48:37 pm »

Oh my.  I started resisting formal religion and began seeking something else a long time ago.  I didn't know what it was that I was seeking, and I labeled myself as agnostic even though I knew that the term was inaccurate.  I knew there were powers / gods, I just couldn't name them.

I began meditation and energy work in the 70's and 80's though it became less important in the mid 80's when I married and started having kids.  I never stopped my practice, it was too important to me.  About 10 years ago I "caught" my son on a Pagan website.  I bookmarked it and did some investigation later that evening.  I couldn't do anything but keep repeating the phrase, holy shit, holy shit.

So I was already doing much of the physical work of seeking god contact, creative visualization, and magic work (though I still have a hard time seeing centering, shielding, mirroring, grounding, sending energy etc. as magic) for years before I found that there was such a thing as Paganism in existence in our times.

I did have friends offer suggestions on my practice.  Try this or that, but never a mention of Paganism.  Closet dwellers.  ;-)

As far as my age was concerned, I didn't officially jump into the fray until my mid 40's.  From what I see on your profile it's not too late for you at all.
Arrow
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 26, 2009, 07:38:44 pm

Religion: eclectic shamanic animism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: September 21, 2007, 05:00:03 pm »

I always felt a kind of... kinship with paganism, but, I never knew anyone growing up who was pagan or pagan interested, and when I did try eventually and follow it, I guess, I probably got talking to the wrong people, people who probably weren't that genuinely pagan after all, looking back, and got kind of put/scared off...  I only really got proper internet recently, and like I said, I've never really known anyone I could talk to about it before...

How did others of you first start out on this? -How did you know you were pagan, to ask the first stupid question?  I'm not totally brainless, but since for me this is more about things I feel than facts, if you don't know anyone you can talk to and see if you have something in common,  can you get to a stage where it's too late to start down such a big road? When you've gone too far without?

Sorry- I don't know if I've explained it well. I'd apprectiate any of your opinions...?  Smiley

Count one more person on the "never-too-late" band wagon.

It's not the years, it's the attitude. I know teens whose minds are sealed like a vault, and people my own age (55) and beyond who enjoy a boundless curiosity.

Follow your heart whatever your age. I just started school as a music major and plan to launch a new career at an age when most of my peers will be looking at retirement. I wish them well, of course, but personally, I'm just getting my second wind! 

As for how to get started, seems to me you already have. You've found a place to "talk" to people who share your interest, and you have made contact and begun asking questions. As a seeress once told me while she was "drawing down" (allowing herself to be a vessel for) the Goddess, "the path you seek is beneath your feet."

I wish you great joy in your discoveries.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 10:35:03 pm by Arrow, Reason: spelling -- \"mad\" to \"made\" » Logged

Arrow

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

"I am made of the dust of the stars and the ocean flows in my veins"   (Neil Peart 1989)
joshuatenpenny
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2007, 08:09:28 pm

Religion: Asphodel, recon-derived eclectic paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: September 21, 2007, 05:41:47 pm »

Oh my goodness! I've been following this thread, but I assumed you were in your 60s or 70s! Your profile says you were born in 1980. I'm 27 and I can't imagine considering myself too old to start much of anything. Maybe ballet, but certainly not a new religion.

I was going to share that my partner did spiritual counceling for a fellow in his 70s (or maybe older, I don't recall). He'd felt called to a particular spiritual path for most his life, but felt an obligation to his family to do things in a societally acceptable way. He said his wife would never accept this, and besides, it was "too late". The guy didn't want help following that path, just reassurance that in his next life, he'd be born into a situation where this path would come to him more easily. My partner said he felt this individual's patron deity practically jumping up and down behind him, saying, "He's not dead yet! You tell him he's not dead yet!"

So maybe that story isn't as relevant at your age, but I'll say it again anyway - you aren't dead yet! So long as you are breathing, you are making choices about how to live your life each and every day.

I had some exposure to paganism in my teens, and was wildly unimpressed. It didn't ring any bells for me. Then after I'd given up on the idea of finding personally relevant religious expression, I happened to attend a pagan ritual (just for fun) and had an amazingly life-changing revelatory experience. If I had been 97 years old, happily agnostic all my life, with end-stage terminal cancer, I still would have pursued paganism at that point.

-- Joshua

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #25: September 21, 2007, 06:10:28 pm »

Oh my goodness! I've been following this thread, but I assumed you were in your 60s or 70s! Your profile says you were born in 1980. I'm 27 and I can't imagine considering myself too old to start much of anything.
Well I'm older than you Wink

So long as you are breathing, you are making choices about how to live your life each and every day.

And even if sometimes you end up on unexpected paths, the journey still goes on. *thinks, pokes bad memory* Something about.... a bend in the road isn't the end of the road - unless you fail to make the turn!

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 21, 2007, 06:32:29 pm »

Something about.... a bend in the road isn't the end of the road - unless you fail to make the turn!

Nah, then you just become a trailblazer!

estranged newby, age is just a state of mind.  If you believe you're to old then you will be.  Obviously what you're looking into has some interest for you so why not explore it?  Would you decline to read a book because you didn't have it as a child?  Or ignore a a potential new acquaintance because they weren't a childhood friend?  Sit back, enjoy the ride and see where it takes you.  If you like it, great!  If not, well you can always dismount at any time.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Vanni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 16, 2015, 09:45:11 am

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: September 23, 2007, 07:48:58 am »

I always felt a kind of... kinship with paganism, but, I never knew anyone growing up who was pagan or pagan interested, and when I did try eventually and follow it, I guess, I probably got talking to the wrong people, people who probably weren't that genuinely pagan after all, looking back, and got kind of put/scared off...  I only really got proper internet recently, and like I said, I've never really known anyone I could talk to about it before...

Sorry- I don't know if I've explained it well. I'd apprectiate any of your opinions...?  Smiley

I think for many folks, finding their religious path is a constantly evolving process. It comes from trying to develop some framework with which to explain those experiences which seem to defy explanation. Some people keep the same framework and fit their experiences into that framework and others adjust the framework to fit their experiences.

For me, I will only speak in percentages- The largest percentage of my beliefs remain within a Catholic framework, but I also do not agree with everything. I try to look at religion and spirituality as comparative and if you do, you find many similarities across religions. Therefore, I prefer to think of things as concepts rather than terms that have been assigned by a particular culture. Like most religions acknowledge good/evil, darkness/light, death/birth or whatever. Most religious acknowledge that there is a spiritual realm that can either help us or hurt us depending on the circumstances.

In any case, I have been changing as i get older. I don't even want to say growing because i was much happier when I was younger. The older I have gotten and the more awful the experiences, the more jaded and cynical I have become. About six years ago, these experiences led me to realize that if I was going to save myself, I needed something other than what Catholicism offered so I investigated witchcraft. I have come to know that there is a whole subset of Catholics, largely from Europe, who have combined the two for centuries so I am fine with this no matter what the little old lady in the pew next to me might think.

Lost-in-Translation
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 14, 2009, 04:59:40 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Look Within - Trust Within.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: October 02, 2007, 03:42:32 pm »

I have to agree with the others that it is never too late.
I am 21 and just now starting my journey. Blessed Be

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: October 10, 2007, 07:00:52 pm »

It's never too late to follow your heart.  A friend introduced me to Paganism when I was eighteen and I just felt like I had come home.  I found myself nodding enthusiastically with nearly every book I read.  It was the "Ah ha!" moment that I had been searching for.  Please don't be discouraged by those influences, trust your instincts.  Look deep within yourself...You are your own Authority!  As the Goddess says "All your searching will avail you not, lest you look within" (not quoting here...paraphrased! Grin

Feel free to pm me anytime you need to

Blessed Be

Dark Plume

*Síocháin*

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.