The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 24, 2022, 09:11:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2022, 09:11:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: An Unusual Teaching Challenge  (Read 13053 times)
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 18, 2007, 07:05:54 am »

My first little own post.......yeesh people duck and cover!  At any rate I'm as some of you know over here in Japan, and I'm in fact teaching!  Now as part of my nifty-difty lesson plan structure (passed down upon the ages from Master ALT to Apprentice ALT  Roll Eyes ) I have been asked to teach about both Christmas and Halloween.  Which I'm completely happy to do!

My challenge comes in that my supervisor's would like me to present the topics in a way that is personally and culturally relevant to me.  They feel that the students will have a stronger connection, and greater interest in Western culture if they can make it through personal knowledge of me.  I am all for sharing cultural information, but I tend to go a wee bit over board (  Grin ) on Yule and Samhain, they are for me very important days of the year.

So the usual tom-foolery of baking, sewing, flower arranging, altar building, godly and ancestorly offerings gets done, on top of doing fun kitchy stuff that people enjoy around those times of year!  I've already decided to share some of the activities and gifts I do every year with my friends and co-workers here, but I am trying to think of ways to approach these topics in such a way as to make it interesting and not preachy to children.  I want them to enjoy Halloween and Christmas, not necessarily know their every scrap and scope of history!

Therefore, what would you suggest and/or do in my position?   Huh I'm interested to hear your thoughts!

Ducky

I'll gently suggest that, unless you are completely out of the closet and your supervisors are aware that you are a pagan and thus a member of a VERY small minority subset of western religious tradition, that you discard all your actual current personal associations and that you teach the mainstream American popular/secular versions of both, with the religious basis included, of course.

Depending on how old your students are, of course, it sounds as if they want your students to get a taste of what they'd experience if they were visiting the US at those times of year, with a bit of the cultural and religious origins of what they'll see.

Certainly there's a certain amount of pagan history you can include, with the personal connection... but if you're teaching general cultural familiarization, then the mainstream  culture's stuff is what they want.  A lot more about trick-or-treating than about Dumb Suppers, for example, and about caroling, Christmas trees and Charlies Dickens and  Brown rather than Modrasnicht.

JMHO; YMMV, of course.  You know your situation.

--------------
Bless├ęd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)