The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 17, 2021, 01:27:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2021, 01:27:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: One reversed card  (Read 3239 times)
Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am
United States United States

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 18, 2007, 01:28:15 pm »

I was using my tarot cards a couple of days ago, as always I shuffle the deck until I feel it is done sufficiently and all the cards are right-side up.

I focused on a issue and did my usual 9-card draw. What was odd was that one card I drew which was "Son of Cups" (I use The Quest deck) and it also had the term "Seeker" written on it. But the odd part was that it was upside down..and it was the only card in the entire deck that was this way PLUS it appeared in my 9-card draw.

I looked up the definition of the meaning of that particular reversed card and one definition seemed to leap out at me and that was "Lack of Passion". It is true that I lack drive, interest or passion and I experience a total lack of connection not only to myself but this world I am in.

I found it odd as I usually draw my interpretations form both the upright and reversed..but not this time apparently.

Being the skeptical noodnink that I am I pretty much chalked it up to a mere coincidence and that as I was shuffling one card slipped out and as I straightened the deck it may have been turned around but..just one card?

Anyways..has anyone had something like this happen to them?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: September 18, 2007, 05:54:08 pm »

I looked up the definition of the meaning of that particular reversed card and one definition seemed to leap out at me and that was "Lack of Passion". It is true that I lack drive, interest or passion and I experience a total lack of connection not only to myself but this world I am in.

What is the meaning of the position it fell in?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Odjn
Master Member

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 18, 2007, 06:05:48 pm »

What is the meaning of the position it fell in?

One of the reversed meanings was "Lack of passion". That definition was the one that jumped at me.

Sorry if i was unclear...I was sure I had mentioned it. I probably neglected to say so.

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 18, 2007, 06:25:01 pm »

One of the reversed meanings was "Lack of passion". That definition was the one that jumped at me.

Sorry if i was unclear...I was sure I had mentioned it. I probably neglected to say so.

Out of curiousity, in what position within the spread did the card appear?  The same card can be interpreted differently depending on where in the spread it falls (and the cards around it, etc). 

Odjn
Master Member

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 18, 2007, 07:26:10 pm »

Oh!!! So that is what Randall meant...

Let's see..it was with cards like Seven of Swords/Uselessness, The Emperor/Establishment, Five of Stones/Material Difficulty, The Magician/Transmutation, Son of Cups/Seeker, Ace of Cups/Emotion, Aeon/Rebirth, Three of Wands/Virtue, The Heirophant/Tradition and Daughter of Stone/Possibilities.

To be honest it hadn't occured to me to pay attention to the sequence however I think that the Daughter of Stones/Possibilities was before Son of Cups..I am sorry I should have paid attention.

However the gist of the spread seemed to tell me that in life I feel useless and without a purpose or mission and I need to use some courage to try and improve my self image and make a connection to my "inner" self which is been pretty much non-existent.

It seems to tell me I have more going for me then I think and recognizing that will help open up more avenues for me but before any of this can take place I need to find some sort of motivation or find out what drives me...as of now I truly have no particular interests, no goals or aspirations and I honestly feel that I have no discernable talents.

This lack of self perception is what is holding me back.
Anyways I shall be more mindful in the future about the sequence that my cards are drawn. Thanks

Odjn
Master Member

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 18, 2007, 07:27:30 pm »

Out of curiousity, in what position within the spread did the card appear?  The same card can be interpreted differently depending on where in the spread it falls (and the cards around it, etc). 

Sorry..my bad..I forgot to use the quote function. Sorry.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: September 18, 2007, 10:50:12 pm »

To be honest it hadn't occured to me to pay attention to the sequence however I think that the Daughter of Stones/Possibilities was before Son of Cups..I am sorry I should have paid attention.

The sequence can affect the reading even if you are not using a layout that assigns specific positional meaning to the card that falls there. The cards before and after the card can influence the meaning, as can things like lots of cards from one suit and the like.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 19, 2007, 11:00:00 am »

Anyways I shall be more mindful in the future about the sequence that my cards are drawn.

It's pretty common to get caught on one card without taking into context where it is in the spread and what other cards may be influencing it.  While the individual cards carry meaning, you'll get a much more accurate reading if you keep in mind that they work together to give you the overall picture.   Smiley

Odjn
Master Member

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 19, 2007, 01:31:44 pm »

It's pretty common to get caught on one card without taking into context where it is in the spread and what other cards may be influencing it.  While the individual cards carry meaning, you'll get a much more accurate reading if you keep in mind that they work together to give you the overall picture.   Smiley

Well..I am pretty sure that the Daughter of Stones/Possibilities preceeded the Son of Cup/Seeker...and I took at least that part to mean that in order to become more open to possibilities I need to discover what my motivating force is...as I have none right now.

The sequence can affect the reading even if you are not using a layout that assigns specific positional meaning to the card that falls there. The cards before and after the card can influence the meaning, as can things like lots of cards from one suit and the like.

Thanks Randall..I am going to pay more attention from now on concerning the card sequence. It truly never occured to me to pay attention to that too.

Heh..I learn something new everyday. Smiley

nemesisfirestorm
Master Member
Last Login:March 11, 2008, 07:07:34 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Brighideach Druid (OBOD) and a little bit of witchery thrown in.

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 20, 2007, 08:46:34 pm »

Thanks Randall..I am going to pay more attention from now on concerning the card sequence. It truly never occured to me to pay attention to that too.

Hehehe, I have one word...  Spreadsheets!!!  I pretty much run my life by spreadsheets and my cell phone calendar...

Spreadsheets are great for tarot.  I just have columns with the card name, it's position, the feelings/emotions I get on initially looking at it, the generic meaning and the key words for how I've read it.  For the actual reading I use pencil and paper and write away, then transfer it to a word doc, saved with the same name as the excel sheet for the details.  Keeps me organised and it's easy to reference too.  The names for the saved docs are normally date, person, subject i.e. 2007-09-20 me career, so they're really easy to find later too.

Yeah I know, I'm a geek, lol.

As for how to read it, I am by no means an expert.  I have only just started to use the reversed cards. 

I take them to be either an emphasis of the other card's meanings, or an idea in fruition or coming to an end, depending on the context.  Very rarely do I ever read them to mean the opposite to the "right way up" readings.  I don't know if that is how others do it, or if I'm right or not, but so far it seems to be correct when I've done readings for friends that are interpreting just their current situations.

Mae'r cariad at fy ngwlad yn berwi yn fy ngwaed.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)