The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 03, 2023, 07:22:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 03, 2023, 07:22:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The ball starts to roll...  (Read 6493 times)
Glas Cailleach
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 22, 2008, 08:27:02 am
Australia Australia

Religion: bit of This, bit of That

'Be different like us' - 'Hmm no.. I have a life'

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 20, 2007, 12:37:10 pm »

Okay to get the ball rolling on a very simple angle I'd like to ask what everyone is doing in their path at the moment?
Anyone starting any new forms of divination? any random views or opinions on some myths?
Anyone made any certain tools of thier own? etc... (sort of like the 'Random' threads on general forums... where anything is said)

Personally Im trying to track down some woad in Australia to get and looking into tattoos (long term action).

Also I have been learning irish.

Also I have found a new interest in a diety by the name of Skatha... but also finding it hard to find out info on her (been too busy to even sit down for 5 mins).

What have you been up to/doing/pondering about?? Grin

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #1: September 20, 2007, 01:05:20 pm »

Okay to get the ball rolling on a very simple angle I'd like to ask what everyone is doing in their path at the moment?
Anyone starting any new forms of divination? any random views or opinions on some myths?
Anyone made any certain tools of thier own? etc... (sort of like the 'Random' threads on general forums... where anything is said)

Personally Im trying to track down some woad in Australia to get and looking into tattoos (long term action).

Also I have found a new interest in a diety by the name of Skatha... but also finding it hard to find out info on her (been too busy to even sit down for 5 mins).

Re: your stuff; this is a really interesting article by Kym ní Dhoireann on woad and the likelihood of it being what was used by the ancient Celts. Also, do you mean Scáthach, the warrior woman that trains Cú Chulainn?

As for my own stuff: I have a to-do list about a mile long for Conair an Cheo that I've been working through, slowly (very slowly) but surely. Right now I'm compiling various myths, cross-referencing them with other versions of the same myth, and compiling who is mentioned in them, what's the same about the versions, what's different, and any important notes or information on any deities or heroes mentioned. It's a bit (lot) tedious sometimes but it's been informative.

I will be starting to learn the ogham meanings and interpretations presented by Erynn Rowan Laurie in her book Ogam, as well as going through the ones Moon Ivy sent me and trying to compile my own (something ERL mentioned that seemed like a good learning tool). At the moment, I'm swamped with other work, but I intend to start this before the end of the year.

I'm learning to play the harp, an endeavor I've dedicated to several of my deities (originally it was just Brighid, but a few others said "hey, I like harp too!").

And, as stated in the Life Goals thread, I'm reviewing the little Irish I've learned and trying to learn more on my own until the local class starts up again, though, depending on my schedule, I may or may not have time to attend.

I think that's it... Undecided

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: September 20, 2007, 01:08:24 pm »

Anyone made any certain tools of thier own? etc...

I started learning how to read playing cards. I've shelved it for now because I'm an instinctive & intuitive reader and I need to be able to have my own space so I can read them and work on the basics.  In other words, I have to learn to dogpaddle on the surface before I can dive in and swim to the bottom!

I've not made any tools of my own but I've gathered rocks and things for altar space or decoration or something.  Smiley

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Coll9
Journeyman
Last Login:November 12, 2009, 08:03:23 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 20, 2007, 03:56:09 pm »

I'm doing many things at once. I'm in the process of learning Irish, approaching the filidecht path, and organizing "Gaol Naofa". It's been a long and challenging road, and I hope it continues to be, but I still love and cherish it.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #4: September 20, 2007, 04:23:43 pm »

I'm trying to sort out what bits and pieces go best with what other bits and pieces to make relevant wholes for a couple more tarot essays.  The bits are too short for essays on their own and connect with each other in enough ways that if I'm not careful it'll be one essay a half-a-book long.

Other than that, I've been trying to think of a way to freshen up my (very old) spirit catcher.  The geese are migrating so I can get some new feathers, but I want to do something for the fur that won't insult the fox it came from but will make it less 'musty'.  I'm going to go see a tanner on the res this weekend and see if he has any ideas.

I've been trying to come up with a way to practice with some website software that is small enough to fit on my computer but large enough to do something 'cool' with.  After that, if I get something I like, I have to see about getting space and putting it up.

And the regular stuff.  September is a big month for tarot parties with college students.  Fun and chaotic.  Still practicing online readings privately.  Got a sudden blast of phone calls from regulars who just realized I didn't do my regular open day this summer and want to make arrangements.

Life's busy and I don't even have a car Monday to Friday right now.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: September 20, 2007, 06:06:13 pm »

I suppose the biggest thing I'm doing in terms of my spirituality is learning ogam--I'm compiling various interpretations, (thanks to both Erynn Rowan Laurie and what Moon Ivy gave me), and am pondering making my own ogam lists. I actually made one just as a little brain-stretching exercise, based on the titles of my favourite books, and it worked out so well, I'm rather excited to see what else I can come up with.

Other than that, I am refining my calendar (which has come a long way), and other niggling bits of my personal system, including some work with several new guides hat have recently come into my life, but I am mostly trying to keep my ears open for Brighid. I had a talk with her in which I asked her if there was anything in particular she wanted me to do, and she said something like, "Yes, definitely, but ... I'll tell you what it is later."

So, I'm mostly doing real-life things, like going to class and doing well on projects and things, and keeping my plate fairly clear. Maybe if I don't clutter up my life with too much, she'll tell me what's going on.  Cheesy

Personally I expect it's going to be a large writing project, possibly my screenwriting minor thesis next year, but maybe even the short screenplay for a class this semester or NaNoWriMo. Heck, it could even be my film thesis. If it is either one of those major projects next year, I will essentially be spending the entire year doing the work of Brighid. Rather exciting.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 20, 2007, 08:42:14 pm »

I've been working on learning Irish (modern Irish, that is). My classes start up again in a couple weeks. I've also been working through the dedicant study program with Ar nDraiocht Fein (sorry about not including the proper accents. I don't feel like looking for the codes...) - once I've completed that, I have access to their upper level study programs. While ADF isn't strictly Celtic any longer, they do have lots of celtic resources.

Other projects... revamping my personal BOS, deepening my study of Tarot, incorporating some daily devotionals into my routine. I've also just started reading "Body Sacred" by Dianne Sylvan. I'm working on my eating/exercise habits (NOT dieting... changing the way I approach food and exercise) and the book was recommended by folks on a women's spirituality email list I'm on.

I'm also keeping up with my part-time college classes. I do see my studies of communications as somewhat in honor of Brigit, since she's a patron of Bards. Maybe it's a stretch. *shrug* She's happy with my work so far.

My overall long -term projects are to get the house decluttered and really incorporate my spirituality into daily life and not something I trot out 8 times a year and at irregular intervals to work spells. Well, and to get that second bachelor's degree finished.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List
Glas Cailleach
Senior Apprentice
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 22, 2007, 09:34:30 am »

do you mean Scáthach?

Yes Smiley her... I do apologise but I have become somewhat slack in regards to different areas dialects (welsh, irish, scottish, etc) and even proper teminology for certian things (eg.. I will say athame instead of 'working knife' which i refer my 'athame' to) as I am just too lazy for the codes or I really dont have the time for the long explainations (like now... as this is my official disclaimer from now on Tongue)

Ive felt a weird pull towards skatha and Jord (a norse goddess of wild and uncivilised woods/forests)... and I really dont know why. I found their names via randomness and took to them even before I knew who they were. Sounds simple, yes indeed, but considering who I am and my annoyingly rational and highly skeptical mind (considering I dont really believe in gods but the thought was always there) these two ladies are drawing me towards them and I am totally lost for where to turn *grrrr*

Glas Cailleach
Senior Apprentice
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 22, 2007, 09:38:07 am »

I started learning how to read playing cards. I've shelved it for now because I'm an instinctive & intuitive reader and I need to be able to have my own space so I can read them and work on the basics.  In other words, I have to learn to dogpaddle on the surface before I can dive in and swim to the bottom!

I've not made any tools of my own but I've gathered rocks and things for altar space or decoration or something.  Smiley

Oh Ive found really good results with playing cards myself. I never knew their real origin though :S
I believe it is an old gypsy divination that inspired the tarot? *hides behind anything to avoid thrown food and hard things*

and I do understand about the 'dogpaddling'. Im 22 (near 23) and been interested and reading up on everything since I was 10 and I am still so bloody niave Sad *grr*

I procastinate way too much,.... I read one thing then that one thing mentions another thing so Ill read up on that then that says something so Ill read up on that etc etc etc

Glas Cailleach
Senior Apprentice
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 22, 2007, 09:40:56 am »

I'm doing many things at once. I'm in the process of learning Irish, approaching the filidecht path, and organizing "Gaol Naofa". It's been a long and challenging road, and I hope it continues to be, but I still love and cherish it.

wow, I would love to have the time to search for decent and proper material on following a druidish path 'filidecht' is the first 'level' or poet path of the druid tradition if I am right?
May I ask if you know any books or sites that contain really good info on the subject?

What is Gaol Naofa? (over here in Aus... 'jail' is actually still spelt as 'gaol' Tongue hehehe)

Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 22, 2007, 08:47:27 pm »

Lately I've been familiarizing myself with Irish and Welsh myth. Like you, I've long had an interest in these things, but have long avoided properly educating myself about them... Wink I've got half of The Mabinogion down, and I started Early Irish Myths and The Tain. Early Irish Myths has been very difficult to get through...there's a lot of epic lists in these stories that really slow things down. ("And I saw men leaping over hills, and teenagers playing catch with oak trees, and druids doing cartwheels without touching the ground, and women who can weave blankets from fire, and harpers who can talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk without ever taking a breath...") The Tain has been *much* more read-able (and has a handy pronounciation guide!) But I'll tackle those other two, don't you worry...

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
Keeper o Duckshoed Muse
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 09, 2008, 09:18:15 pm

Religion: A Craftsman Witch with Elemental leanings

Dancing a delicate line and loving every moment.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 22, 2007, 09:21:24 pm »

snippety-snip-snip

I've been taking the time away from home and family to really ponder who I am and what I'm about. Nothing quite like an ocean between yourself and the people who helped you to define who you are, to really bring things into perspective. This has led to some interesting revelations and some really uncomfortable ones as well.  But all in all a good growing experience.

I've been doing a lot more searching along my path and what it means to me.  And my guardians are quite pleased with my efforts.  Something along the lines of "Took you long enough."  And I've met a some interesting gods and goddesses that are really helping me to cut through the old habits and move forward.  So that I am now working on myself as a whole woman (at the grand old age of twenty-six  Roll Eyes).  This has pretty much eaten up what little time hasn't been consumed by my job.

I'm not learning Irish right now  Grin  but I am working on strengthening my Japanese, and retaining my very weak French.  I'm attempting to work my way through The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir.  It's slow going because I am quite busy with work at the moment.

I also started my first tarot journal while here, and it has been wonderful for me.  It keeps me actively thinking and interpreting what I'm seeing in the cards, which helps me to really focus on the messages I'm receiving.

This time in Japan has been filled with good teaching experiences.  Thanks to my predecessors I find myself quite busy working with the school teachers trying to re-organize, re-do, and fill in quite a bit of the local English curriculum and materials.  Not necessarily a bad thing, since I do enjoy Art and English, but it is certainly time consuming.

So that's it for me.  Not very exciting at all, just plenty of growing pains.

Ducky

I take responsibility for my insanity only!
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 15, 2023, 06:19:42 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: September 23, 2007, 12:49:08 am »

I believe it is an old gypsy divination that inspired the tarot? *hides behind anything to avoid thrown food and hard things*
<throws hard links>
The Hermitage: Tarot History
Trionfi: History and Origin of Tarot

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 23, 2007, 11:53:27 am »

Well in my spare time when I am not at TC  Grin  I am trying to write a book.  While I was so sick, I had too much hazy fog in my head to concentrate, but have started back now.  (Brighid can be very PUSHY  Grin)

She also tells me when I have taken a long enough break from housework and when to continue as well Grin

Now that I am feeling lazy after reading everyone else's schedule, LOL because all the rest of you have these big long lists....  I do have an article to write to get published dancing around in my head, that I will probably tackle in the next week or two.

I was working towards coterminously going to TC's astral space, but when I got sick, I stopped, but I will get back to it again. 

Right now, except some work on the book, mundane things are taking precedence. 

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)