The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 14, 2021, 03:40:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2021, 03:40:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fish?  (Read 9383 times)
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 20, 2007, 03:59:10 pm »

I really would like to eat more fish in my diet but have never even bought or prepared fish myself. Any suggestions? What type of fish would be good? How should I prepare it? What should I add? Anything really easy to do?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: September 20, 2007, 04:11:24 pm »

I really would like to eat more fish in my diet but have never even bought or prepared fish myself. Any suggestions? What type of fish would be good? How should I prepare it? What should I add? Anything really easy to do?

All I know is that when you buy it, fish shouldn't smell fishy; if it smells fishy, it's turning bad (or already there).  I've tried to cook fish several times, and would also like to eat more of it, but I think I must be doing something wrong.  The fish I get is definitely not rotten, but it tastes "off" after I cook it.  I keep hoping maybe I've just done something wrong or tried the wrong recipe, so I'll be watching this thread with interest too; maybe the advice you get will help me too!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #2: September 20, 2007, 04:12:25 pm »

I usually buy whatever's cheap, like whitefish or pollock.  I put some water and rice in a baking pan, put a couple of fish on top, spice it with salt, pepper, and a few squirts of lemon.  I cover the pan with tin foil and bung it in the oven for about twenty minutes.  I always use instant rice for this because I don't want to overcook the fish.

Or I take the bones out of canned red salmon, mix in vinegar and onions, and have it on sandwiches. 

That's about all i do with fish.  If I'm feeling a bit decadent I go to my mom's chip truck and have it battered with fries.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 20, 2007, 04:14:46 pm »

If I'm feeling a bit decadent I go to my mom's chip truck and have it battered with fries.

Damn, now I have a terrible craving.......

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: September 20, 2007, 04:18:31 pm »

That's sort of like, well, a little too general.

As far as what kind of fish, that's personal taste. Some people only like mild fish. Some like a stronger fish. Some like salt water fish and others only fresh water fish. How you fix it depends on the type of fish. You've got grilled, broiled, pan fried, baked, raw, poached...pretty much anyway you want to fix it there will be a fish for that type of treatment.

My suggestion is to take a look at a few websites. Allrecipes, Cooking Light, Recipe Source, those sorts of places and poke around. Some of what you read might be too advanced and some might include things you don't like/can't eat. Once you get an idea of what appeals to you, you'll have a better idea of where to start.

www.allrecipes.com
www.cookinglight.com
www.recipesource.com
http://www.ichef.com/
http://www.astray.com/recipes/

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: September 20, 2007, 04:22:03 pm »

All I know is that when you buy it, fish shouldn't smell fishy; if it smells fishy, it's turning bad (or already there).

Absolutely. And I can't tell you how important it is to have someone you trust behind the fish counter. Randall and I frequent one store (were there today) where I trust the woman to tell me what's good. She's going to know when stuff came in or what's coming in. Two weeks ago we got tilapia, today it was wild salmon and pollack. None of them smelled at all fishy.

I've tried to cook fish several times, and would also like to eat more of it, but I think I must be doing something wrong.  The fish I get is definitely not rotten, but it tastes "off" after I cook it.  I keep hoping maybe I've just done something wrong or tried the wrong recipe, so I'll be watching this thread with interest too; maybe the advice you get will help me too!

What kind of fish have you tried and how have you cooked it? Did you marinate it?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: September 20, 2007, 04:26:50 pm »

As far as what kind of fish, that's personal taste. Some people only like mild fish. Some like a stronger fish. Some like salt water fish and others only fresh water fish. How you fix it depends on the type of fish. You've got grilled, broiled, pan fried, baked, raw, poached...pretty much anyway you want to fix it there will be a fish for that type of treatment.

How about...  Something mild, relatively inexpensive (though I realize this will probably vary somewhat according to geography), either baked or broiled or fried, and easy to prepare.  (Salt vs fresh, heck if I know; I don't know the difference taste-wise.)  Is that still too general?  I think lack of experience can sort of make this an infinite loop:  without some kind of experience, we don't know what we like, so we ask for suggestions, but without knowing what we like, we can't give much of a better idea of what kind of recipes would be good.  Sad

Reona may have other ideas, of course.  Smiley

I just realized I'm late getting out the door; I'll address your other post when I get a chance.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 20, 2007, 04:45:55 pm »

Any suggestions? What type of fish would be good? How should I prepare it? What should I add? Anything really easy to do?

First, Boots is adorable!!! And I'm sure he(she?) would like to try any kind of fish you bring home.   Cheesy

As others have suggested, there are lots of options out there.  Is there any kind of fish that you've had that you liked?  If so, trying to find a similar recipe to what you've had may be a good starting point.  Then branch out from there.

Personally, I'm partial to catfish and trout, but that's mostly because they're relatively easy to get fresh where I live.   Somewhere in the chaos that is my kitchen, I have a recipe for baked pecan-encrusted catfish that I love... somewhere. 

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: September 20, 2007, 05:27:27 pm »

I cheat. Cheesy  I buy smoked salmon.  pre-cooked and can just be mixed in with things .. often pasta and brie in my house.

but it does have a STRONG flavor .. good, but strong.  so if it's not something you like, it'll overpower everything.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: September 20, 2007, 05:34:27 pm »

How about...  Something mild, relatively inexpensive (though I realize this will probably vary somewhat according to geography), either baked or broiled or fried, and easy to prepare.  (Salt vs fresh, heck if I know; I don't know the difference taste-wise.)  Is that still too general?  I think lack of experience can sort of make this an infinite loop:  without some kind of experience, we don't know what we like, so we ask for suggestions, but without knowing what we like, we can't give much of a better idea of what kind of recipes would be good.  Sad

Reona may have other ideas, of course.  Smiley

I just realized I'm late getting out the door; I'll address your other post when I get a chance.

I'd go with tilapia as my first choice. It handles pan frying, poaching and baking pretty well. It's also relatively inexpensive. Wild corvina would probably be my next. It's seasonal though, and I wouldn't expect to find it at this time of year (better from March-May). Cod works well. Believe it or not, catfish is good...we just did catfish last week. Easy recipe. Broiled with a lemon-dill sauce. Pollack too, if you aren't planning on flipping it.

If you can find shark, marinate it for 15 minutes and put it on the grill. To die for. Tuna, too, though that's cooked rare and I won't serve it here because Randall likes shit cooked to death and a good tuna just shouldn't have that happen to it. Smiley The key to grilling it is having a fish that will hold up...you'll want meaty fish for that. If it's delicate, it will just fall apart of you.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: September 20, 2007, 05:35:38 pm »

I cheat. Cheesy  I buy smoked salmon.  pre-cooked and can just be mixed in with things .. often pasta and brie in my house.

but it does have a STRONG flavor .. good, but strong.  so if it's not something you like, it'll overpower everything.

One thing I really like with salmon is capers. Seems those two flavors go really well together. Ends up looking/tasting like a million bucks and easy to fix.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: September 20, 2007, 05:38:44 pm »

I'd go with tilapia as my first choice. It handles pan frying, poaching and baking pretty well. It's also relatively inexpensive.

Tilapia has a bad rep as "junk fish" is some parts of the country, but it is actually quite good. It's very common (and cheap) in South Texas.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: September 20, 2007, 05:42:02 pm »

Tilapia has a bad rep as "junk fish" is some parts of the country, but it is actually quite good. It's very common (and cheap) in South Texas.

Yeah it does. So does shark. And I'll never forget the first time I fixed a friend of mine some shark. He was from Corpus and they tossed shark out everytime it got brought in. I didn't tell him what it was, just marinated it and grilled it. He thought he'd died and gone to heaven when he ate it...then I told him what it was. His face was priceless. LOL

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: September 20, 2007, 07:11:16 pm »

My favorite fish recipe.

Salmon (one filet per person)
Red skin potatoes (sliced into thin rounds)
Asparagus (chopped into 1" pieces)
Green onions (1-2 per person, chopped into 1/2" pieces)
Tarragon (*fresh*, 1-2 teaspoons or so per person, chopped)
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Get out one cookie sheet per person, and lay a sheet of parchment paper on each one.  Pile sliced potatoes in the center of each sheet.  Lay a salmon filet on top of the potato pile, and scatter the asparagus, green onions, and tarragon over and around.  Drizzle a little olive oil on the whole thing, then a little salt and pepper to taste.  Tear off a sheet(s) of parchment paper, and place one over each of the salmon/potato/etc. piles; fold the edges of the the two sheets together, forming an airtight (more or less) envelope.  Make one of these envelopes for each person.  Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.  To serve, put an envelope on each plate, and slice open. 

This is dead easy, and yet looks, and tastes, very sophisticated.  It's also very healthy -- salmon and olive oil (much less then one would need to fry) are good fats, and this kind of steaming, rather than boiling or frying, keeps nutrients in.   It also requires much less fiddling with the fish itself.  I'm not a fan of salmon skin, so I usually scrape it off after I slice the envelopes open (skin comes off easier after cooking), but lots of people like it, so it's your decision.   
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: September 20, 2007, 07:25:43 pm »

My favorite fish recipe.

I may have to try that. Sans asparagus since Randall hates it, but I bet I can find something else veggie like that will work. Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)