The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 14, 2021, 03:26:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2021, 03:26:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fish?  (Read 9382 times)
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #30: September 21, 2007, 03:59:45 pm »

If you wish to brave that kitchen of yours, I would love the baked catfish recipe? If, you know, you have time and all that. [pouts]

Duh, I forgot I have my collected recipes saved as a word file.  My bad, I thought this one was baked and it's pan fried.... still yummy though. 

Here it is:

Pecan-Coated Catfish

1 to 1 1/2 lbs catfish filets (fresh or frozen), cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons cornmeal
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons ground pecans
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
2 to 3 tablespoons cooking oil (vegetable works best)
1/3 cup chopped pecans

Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish and pat dry. Cut into 4 serving-size pieces, if necessary. Set aside. In a shallow bowl mix bread crumbs, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, ground pecans, salt, and pepper. Coat each portion of fish with flour, dip in milk, then coat evenly with crumb mixture.
In a large skillet fry fish in hot oil for 4 to 6 min-utes on each side or till golden and fish flakes eas-ily with a fork; keep warm.
Remove excess crumbs from skillet. Add additional oil, if necessary. Add chopped pecans. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or till toasted; sprinkle pecans over catfish.
Makes 4 servings.

Feeling bad I've steered you wrong on the baking portion, here's an "oven-fried" catfish recipe as well:

Baked Catfish

vegetable oil spray
1/3 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon spicy seasoning blend (optional)
1 teaspon paprika
1/2 teaspon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teapsoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup fat-free or low-fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
4 catfish fillets (about 1 lb total)

Preheat oven to 450.  Lightly spray baking sheet with cooking oil.
In a shallow bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, and seasonings (everything except the buttermilk, juice, & fish).
In another bowl, mix buttermilk and lemon juice together.
Rinse fish & pat dry.  Dip each piece of fish in buttermilk, turning to coat.  Dredge in cornmeal mixutre.  Place on baking sheet & lightly spray fish with cooking oil. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.

And now I think it's time for me to go the store and buy some catfish fillets!!!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: September 21, 2007, 04:56:57 pm »

*nods*  That's my only reservation about looking for/trying tilapia.  Google informs me that it's a salt water fish, so it might be more expensive, or at least not as fresh, here in Indiana.  But we'll see.

WI here (about an hour from Lake Michigan)--I get tilapia frozen at the supermarket. Not too pricey as fish goes. I bake it right out of the freezer, or nuke it (same deal--the package I get always has cooking instructions/suggestions printed on it), with a little olive oil and dill, salt and pepper, or with Creole seasoning (in a shaker--salt, pepper, and "spices" not further specified), and have a lovely green salad and/or steamed veggies with it.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Yum.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #32: September 21, 2007, 07:22:12 pm »

WI here (about an hour from Lake Michigan)--I get tilapia frozen at the supermarket. Not too pricey as fish goes.

Yeah, I was just in picking up some other stuff and checked, and I can get it and it's not too expensive.  So yay!  I'll try it this week, probably.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: September 22, 2007, 07:27:47 am »

I really would like to eat more fish in my diet but have never even bought or prepared fish myself. Any suggestions? What type of fish would be good? How should I prepare it? What should I add? Anything really easy to do?

At home we would do whole baked fish. Just get a whole cleaned fish, with or without the head, stuff some salt, pepper, fresh herbs, lemon juice or onion in the body cavity, wrap it in tinfoil and bake the sucker for around 10 min (for a 2-3 pound fish). Or get one of those grilling baskets and do it on the barbecue.

The trick is carving it: hold the carving knife along the middle of the back and cut straight in until you hit the spine, then run the knife along the upper ribs and lift the meat off into a dish. Pull on the head end of the spine to get most of the bones out in one go, and use the knife to scrape off any leftover bits. Then put the meat on the lower side in the dish, and serve.
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #34: September 22, 2007, 03:04:29 pm »

Duh, I forgot I have my collected recipes saved as a word file.  My bad, I thought this one was baked and it's pan fried.... still yummy though.

Thanks Aisling! I’m off to the store right now to see what I may have available there. I think I’ll try the baked pecan recipe first. It sounds delicious. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #35: September 29, 2007, 10:45:55 pm »

Like I mentioned earlier, I'd probably go with tilapia, cod, pollack...they're relatively easy to get filleted and the first two are really versatile (pollack less so because it's more delicate).

I did it!  I cooked fish and it tasted good!  I got some tilapia and just pan-fried it with some garlic, and when I thought it was done I gave it another couple of minutes.  And it came out just fine. (Well, OK, the garlic was a little on the crispy side.  But the fish was done correctly.)  I still need some practice; the fillets fell apart all over the place on me and stuck to the pan more than I'd anticipated, and I think I need to do a breading or a marinade or a sauce or something because the fish alone was a little on the bland side.  But I've proved to myself that I can do it, and I'm going to try again this week.  Smiley

Thanks for the advice!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: September 29, 2007, 10:50:01 pm »

I did it!  I cooked fish and it tasted good!  I got some tilapia and just pan-fried it with some garlic, and when I thought it was done I gave it another couple of minutes.  And it came out just fine. (Well, OK, the garlic was a little on the crispy side.  But the fish was done correctly.)  I still need some practice; the fillets fell apart all over the place on me and stuck to the pan more than I'd anticipated, and I think I need to do a breading or a marinade or a sauce or something because the fish alone was a little on the bland side.  But I've proved to myself that I can do it, and I'm going to try again this week.  Smiley

Thanks for the advice!

LOL...welcome to fish world. There's a whole slew of possibilities open to you now.

Let me send you a recipe for fish that has poblanos and Mexican squash and tomatoes. This is one of my favorites and you can add/subtract ingredients to get it the way you want it. It's baked in the oven, so you don't have to worry about it falling apart on you when you flip it.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #37: September 29, 2007, 11:06:55 pm »

Let me send you a recipe for fish that has poblanos and Mexican squash and tomatoes. This is one of my favorites and you can add/subtract ingredients to get it the way you want it. It's baked in the oven, so you don't have to worry about it falling apart on you when you flip it.

Got it, thanks.  Smiley

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: September 30, 2007, 05:25:00 am »

the fillets fell apart all over the place on me

I just remembered when I read that, fish is supposed to do that when it's done. (flake up easily, that is.) It's another way to tell.
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #39: October 01, 2007, 03:00:17 pm »

Thanks Aisling! I’m off to the store right now to see what I may have available there. I think I’ll try the baked pecan recipe first. It sounds delicious. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

I have made fish! Hallelujah! And it was good. We tried the catfish on Friday night and the salmon last night. Even my Dad liked it and the jack-ass doesn’t like anything. I should have made my own bread crumbs though. I bought some to save time, didn’t add any salt myself, and it still came out too salty. Grrr. Next I want to try the salmon pouches with red potatoes.

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #40: October 01, 2007, 03:06:28 pm »

I have made fish! Hallelujah! And it was good.

Very cool. Smiley

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)