The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 28, 2022, 09:49:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2022, 09:49:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Clergy (& others) as Intercessors  (Read 8355 times)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am
United States United States

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #15: November 05, 2007, 07:49:40 am »

In the What is clergy? thread, an idea that came up a few times is the rejection of the role of "clergy as intercessor" and affirmation that we can talk to and experience the gods ourselves, without need of a "priest" of any kind.

However, traditional cultures often have a place for spiritual professionals (shamans and so forth) whose job is very much intercessory, relaying messages from the spirits and interacting with the spirits on behalf of others. In the pagan community, people often consult respected diviners for guidance and assistance in determining what course of action is likely to be most spiritually appropriate or rewarding. While an intercessor isn't seen as necessary in the Pagan community, it seems it is often desired and perceived as useful. What is your take on this?

-- Joshua

When it comes down to it, the teacher/clergy as intermediary is in my opinion more for the purpose of getting you to accept what you already know. When you're stuck on a concept that you aren't internalizing properly, that you've got intellectually but has yet to sink through to the life affecting layer, or it's sinking through in a way that isn't integrating well. 

Someone who can help you cross examine your own reasons for not growing anything but your library and the stack of books on your 'to do' list - or why you have gotten stuck in the first place, where the sticking point is that you aren't either willing or able to break free of. 

Eg. If I let go of believing that this is as it is, even when that belief doesn't serve me, then I also feel I end up letting go of something that makes me who I am.

If I progress beyond this line on the map, then I no longer fit in this box, and am no longer a part of something that I want to belong to.

Someone who has the been there done that's can help clarify that the changes might not be as you think they are, and point out the places where you're bundling your associations and fears into concepts that aren't necessarily tied to those things.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: November 06, 2007, 09:32:09 pm »

In some religions some or all of those events are not religious events.

That's very true, I personally have performed a wedding which wasn't religious at all, but I still felt like, and was referred to as, clergy.  Perhaps the term "facilitator" would have been more appropriate?

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: November 06, 2007, 09:35:24 pm »

That's very true, I personally have performed a wedding which wasn't religious at all, but I still felt like, and was referred to as, clergy.  Perhaps the term "facilitator" would have been more appropriate?

"Officiant" is the correct term in that situation, IIRC. You officiated, you were the officiant.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 06, 2007, 09:41:09 pm »

"Officiant" is the correct term in that situation, IIRC. You officiated, you were the officiant.

It's funny you should use that term.  I use Officiant when writing rituals of any kind on paper, but almost never use it when actually carrying out said rituals. 

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)