The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 11, 2019, 06:17:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:17:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Daily Practices  (Read 9582 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 16, 2007, 05:01:56 pm »

What sorts of things do you do every day (or try to do everyday)? What's their significance?

Added to clarify question: do you pray, or light candles, offer libations, etc?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 05:40:51 pm by Juni » Logged

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: March 16, 2007, 05:31:50 pm »

I try to be aware - as much as possible.
Not just walking along, but take in the spider webs on the long grass, the smell of the air, the sounds around, greeting a blackbird or a tree (yes, someday they'll come and take me away *lol*) - being aware is what being alive is about  Wink but sometimes one forgets it in the hurry of the day.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 16, 2007, 05:42:39 pm »

I edited my original post to try to clarify what I meant by my question since it's rather vague.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #3: March 16, 2007, 06:05:41 pm »

Why you think the post was misunderstood?  Smiley

I knew that you meant that kind of daily Candle/Smudge and stuff - but that never worked for me. Being awake, giving attention is my kind of prayer, is my kind of offering to everything else around - we are connected, if we withdraw the attention, we cut of the flow, that hurts everything around - I maybe don't make sense here without further explanation I'm afraid.

My path is one of communication. One of being connected. So a candle is fine if I need it for a certain purpose, but the above is my daily 'worship'  Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 16, 2007, 06:21:30 pm »

Why you think the post was misunderstood?  Smiley

I knew that you meant that kind of daily Candle/Smudge and stuff - but that never worked for me. Being awake, giving attention is my kind of prayer, is my kind of offering to everything else around - we are connected, if we withdraw the attention, we cut of the flow, that hurts everything around - I maybe don't make sense here without further explanation I'm afraid.

My path is one of communication. One of being connected. So a candle is fine if I need it for a certain purpose, but the above is my daily 'worship'  Wink

No, I didn't think you misunderstood, I just realized it was terribly vague. Smiley If being mindful and aware is what you do then that's what I want to hear. Cheesy

Edited for spelling.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #5: March 16, 2007, 06:28:37 pm »

Than this was a successful communication with us not misunderstanding each other *lol*  Grin

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 16, 2007, 10:59:50 pm »

What sorts of things do you do every day (or try to do everyday)? What's their significance?

I pray twice a day and light a candle at night. I try to offer libations and pray/meditate for about an hour at least once a week, and I do a "one card" tarot reading every day. Smiley

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 16, 2007, 11:58:07 pm »

I TRY to light candles - but life gets in the way.... it's getting better, and slightly less chaotic, but I still miss days....

Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 17, 2007, 09:01:48 am »

I don't do anything every day besides basic self-maintenance [caffeine, food, meds, bathing, caffeine, etc...].

But the first time I see the moon each day I salute. 
I sketch a pent and blow a kiss off my left hand.
Note that this is not a daily ritual, because the moon is not visible every day.

Candles are nice, but I tend to forget them, and I live in a wooden house packed with books...  Even the bayberry candles for New Years are intentionally burnt in the fireplace, behind the glass, so I'll be able to sleep and not worry about what might happen...

--------------
Blesséd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 17, 2007, 10:01:54 am »

I love the idea of lighting a candle every day, though in truth I only do that when I'm keeping for Brigid.  For a while, I did that, and poured milk onto my "world tree" representation, but since I'm in college, and I can't have candles in the dorm, nor do I have my plant here... well... let's just say I don't do a whole lot.

Being mindful--I really like that.  Smiley

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #10: March 17, 2007, 11:54:43 am »

Being mindful--I really like that.  Smiley

And it usually does not set the house on fire Grin
But still, there are days I have to remind myself, like this morning, headache and tired, not a nice sunny day outside when walking with the dog - it's hard to open up then.  Sad

juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 17, 2007, 01:54:20 pm »

I light three candles everyday in the main altar. They are encased in our stone candle holders, so there is no chance of burning the house down. Cheesy It is an easy thing for me as I work where I live, it comes as naturally as saying good morning to my husband when we wake. I use candles because the main altar is Sekhmet's and She loves fire. Not doing it as I pass the Her altar would be like walking by your Mom and not bothering to say hello!

I also finally got it together to put up the Elemental altars, one each for Air, Fire, Water and Earth. I usually light a bit of incense at these, asking Air to help me figure out what I need today, Fire for the drive to get it going, Water for how I feel about it and Earth to know if it's really necessary. This little ritual helps me balance myself emotionally, as it reminds me to use all of my capacities, as I tends to get very emotional about things and forget about the practical side etc. I personally believe my route to happiness lies in balance and understanding.

If I have a current project going that involves something specific, say designing new stuff, I may burn a bit more incense at the most useful Element, which in this case would be Water because of the art and beauty connection. I need all the help I can get!

Very often I take a break around dinner time (I work from noon to 2am daily) and will do a guided meditation for an hour or so. It is very refreshing and I need to keep my skills up, as visualization is a big part of my magical path.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #12: March 17, 2007, 05:58:45 pm »

Cheesy It is an easy thing for me as I work where I live, it comes as naturally as saying good morning to my husband when we wake.

*sigh* It must be so nice if you can do such things like you wish.
Imagine me running around the office with smudgesticks or sit down to meditate -  Roll Eyes

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 17, 2007, 06:06:38 pm »

*sigh* It must be so nice if you can do such things like you wish.
Imagine me running around the office with smudgesticks or sit down to meditate -  Roll Eyes

I wholeheartedly agree! LOL I'm an aspiring artist myself, and I hope someday to be able to work at home, where I can fully combine the religious aspects of my life with my work. Besides, it's much easier to work in sacred space than in a crowded gas station. >.<

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: March 17, 2007, 08:59:45 pm »

I have a set of candles I light every evening for Brighid, all tealights in various holders that represent something to me, plus one oil lamp.  The process of lighting them (and extinguishing them if necessary, although I try to let them brun out) includes prayer.

The holder with the sun on it represents (to me) Brighid's presence and influence in my life in the form of light, fire, and sun -- I light it and ask her to be with me.  The blue, wavy holder represents Brighid's presence in the form of water. 

The oil lamp is to honor her as the goddess of crafts (which to me means creativity, making, fertility or ideas, etc.).  The salt rock candle holder is to honor her as the goddess of healing.  The candle holder that is a glassed-in lamp is to honor her as the goddess of poetry (which to me also includes wisdom and learning).

And I have a little silver bowl that is just big enough to hold a tealight that I light specifically as an offering to her.

Lately, I've also been lighting a candle to honor Rosmerta, and one as an offering to her.  I'm trying to work on that relationship, but I'm not sure it's getting anywhere.

And I've been lighting offering candles for Ganesha and Lakshmi, specifically to ask for help with financial issues.  But, again, that doesn't feel like it's connecting.

In addition to lighting these candles, I have a couple of pieces of jewelry I wear every day, which I consider...well...prayers or acts of worship or something.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)