The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 11, 2020, 09:59:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2020, 09:59:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Oaths and promises  (Read 8446 times)
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 25, 2007, 07:13:12 pm »

The responsibility part?  Or the interpretation part?

The responsibility - seems, much to my surprise, that I look on them as very... binding... and permanent.....

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: September 25, 2007, 07:17:21 pm »

The responsibility - seems, much to my surprise, that I look on them as very... binding... and permanent.....

And so they are.  But not in a bad or onerous way, as long as you both understand and agree on the interpretation.

But then, I'm a lawyer... Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 25, 2007, 07:53:16 pm »

And so they are.  But not in a bad or onerous way, as long as you both understand and agree on the interpretation.

I know, just surprised me that it was part of why I never did.

But then, I'm a lawyer... Wink

and one with a purpose - or is that porpoise? Tongue

Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 27, 2007, 02:43:56 pm »

The only oaths I took were to honor and responsibility, and dedicating myself to service.

Yes! I made a commitment to uphold ma'at in every situation, to do what it takes to do so. that is the whole of any promise or commitment I have made. what that entails is indeed taken by a case by case basis and is between me and Yinepu (and occasionally Set, although He is less involved in that). It involved no oath do do *specific* actions insomuch as to take action where needed.

I make no oaths to specific actions simply because, as my gods have discovered, I am a horrid procrastinator and will likely put it off as long as I can. then I force myself into action, and they don't want that. They want me to WANT to act, and do so of my own free will. they don't want me to feel as though I HAVE to. Clear as mud, I know.  Grin Basically, my gods know that in my case, I am not a very acting type of person, and if I make an oath for specific actions (especially actions involving worship rituals), I will do them at first cheerfully, then start to drag my feet, then act with irritation, and then start to slack off. That is my way. 

F'ex, I used to do daily ritual, then I became frustrated with it (never mind the expense). Now it has become weekly, and I look forward to it, do it with cheer and happiness. If I had promised daily ritual and worship, I would never had kept that promise, so that is why I don't promise. I tend to think bigger than I can follow through with.  Wink
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #19: September 27, 2007, 02:55:48 pm »

F'ex, I used to do daily ritual, then I became frustrated with it (never mind the expense). Now it has become weekly, and I look forward to it, do it with cheer and happiness. If I had promised daily ritual and worship, I would never had kept that promise, so that is why I don't promise. I tend to think bigger than I can follow through with.  Wink

I am the same way, lol. I do two small rituals, basically involving lighting a candle and prayer, everyday (well the same one twice a day). The big "ritual" I do once a week, usually on Saturday night, unless I'm busy or sick, in which case it gets done on Sunday, or if I can anticipate it, Friday. I really don't see a need to do any more than that.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.