The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 02:05:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 02:05:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: what do wiccans think about.....?  (Read 14681 times)
GI Jane
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 10, 2007, 12:07:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 25, 2007, 02:22:44 pm »

i go to a catholic school. (it was my parents idea because they thought i was falling into the wrong crowd). anyway i am afraid to say anything about my new religion because i will get into trouble. i doubt that i could even wear a pentacle if i wanted. i dont know what to do. i mean it doesnt say in the dress code i cant. but they all fall under the catagory of believing its "the symbol of the devil"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 25, 2007, 02:27:24 pm »

i go to a catholic school. (it was my parents idea because they thought i was falling into the wrong crowd). anyway i am afraid to say anything about my new religion because i will get into trouble. i doubt that i could even wear a pentacle if i wanted. i dont know what to do. i mean it doesnt say in the dress code i cant. but they all fall under the catagory of believing its "the symbol of the devil"

Personally, I would err on the side of caution and not wear one, unless it is important enough to you that it's something you'd be willing to take a stand on. (I'm guessing that's not something you want to do, feel free to correct me if that guess is wrong)

I went to a school that might as well have been a catholic one since the principle was catholic and ran it as one despite it's official policy to the contrary. The only jewellery allowed was a cross/crucifix. I never wore one the entire time I was there. (She had some issues and imo got away with a LOT)

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: September 25, 2007, 04:01:18 pm »

GI Jane,

Just a friendly reminder. - Please remember to use the quote function and leave the long quote code in tact when you reply.
Here is the guideline: http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=1161.0

Thanks!

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
GI Jane
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 25, 2007, 08:04:28 pm »

GI Jane,

Just a friendly reminder. - Please remember to use the quote function and leave the long quote code in tact when you reply.
Here is the guideline: http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=1161.0

Thanks!

ok i wasnt aware that i had to use the quotes. but thanks for making me aware of that.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: September 25, 2007, 10:26:45 pm »

ok i wasnt aware that i had to use the quotes. but thanks for making me aware of that.

Don't forgot to trim the actual quoted text to the minimum needed -- that saves space in the database. Thanks!

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
GI Jane
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: September 26, 2007, 04:25:28 pm »

Personally, I would err on the side of caution and not wear one, unless it is important enough to you that it's something you'd be willing to take a stand on. (I'm guessing that's not something you want to do, feel free to correct me if that guess is wrong)

does anyone know what the military thinks about it? like would they give me a hard time about putting it on my dog tags because it doesnt seem to be as mainstream as a lot of other religions but i guess they would have to put it on there. i guess my fear is them just putting no preference.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 26, 2007, 05:18:04 pm »

does anyone know what the military thinks about it? like would they give me a hard time about putting it on my dog tags because it doesnt seem to be as mainstream as a lot of other religions but i guess they would have to put it on there. i guess my fear is them just putting no preference.
Wicca is officially recognized by the US military.  I'm not sure how that translates to actual practice though.  I'd imagine that it would be something they'd put on dog tags.  But then, I'd also imagine that the VA would be willing to put the symbol of any officially recognized faith on a vetran's tombstone, too.  Turns out, not so much.

AFAIK, no other pagan religion is recognized.
Julea
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 05, 2009, 11:24:16 pm

Religion: none of the above

taffy junkie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 26, 2007, 05:40:09 pm »

I wear a pentacle to my (Catholic) school from time to time, but it's on a long chain underneath my shirt, so I'm the only one who knows it's there. I don't think I'm willing to tempt the dean to dislike me any more than she already does.  Tongue

Holy short attention span, Batman!
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #23: September 27, 2007, 09:31:03 am »

There are certainly people in the military with it on their dog tags. There are some potential things to consider (you may always - in the military or no - hit someone who is biased against something, and who makes decisions based on it. In a military setting, you may have fewer options on how to deal with it.)

You might want to check out the Military Pagan Network at http://www.milpagan.org - they have some networking resources, with people with direct experience, who could help with specific questions about what to say, how to raise the topic, etc.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: September 29, 2007, 11:53:48 am »

what do wiccans believe as far as sex before marriage abortion gay marriage. things like that.

Depends upon the group.

I've heard of groups that say death to prostitutes to ones that prostitution is "normal" way to earn money. (That was in 1970s, pre-Herpes).

Similar for abortion. Ranged from no way, no how to any time the woman wants.

I don't think you could accurately state what even Most Wiccans believe on such issues.  I think this is even more true if you were to ask about it from a strictly theological view.  There doesn't seem to have been a real lot of deep discussion and analysis made public about the theological reasons for any of the stances.

I also suspect that a lot of stances come more from political positions, often pre-pagan.
~*Faye*~
Last Login:October 01, 2007, 03:03:50 am

Religion: seeker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: October 01, 2007, 02:23:59 am »

what do wiccans believe as far as sex before marriage abortion gay marriage. things like that.

I am not necessarily Wiccan, but here is what I think:

*Sex Before Marriage?

Sure. Be careful who you choose and be responsible, but I don't think marriage is necessary to have sex.

*Abortion?

Pro Choice. I think it is the womans decision. I would never do it personally, but I don't condemn other woman who choose to have an abortion. I don't know their story and it is not my place to judge.

* Gay Marriage:

I am not Gay. My sister is Bi. I think everybody has a right to love whoever they want. I think Marriage is a beautiful thing, and everybody, no matter your sexual orientation, should be able to be married to whomever they want. It's no one else's business if they want to be gay, they are not asking you to participate, so what does it matter to you? Thats my philosophy on the whole thing.
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: October 04, 2007, 07:37:40 pm »

" 'An it harm none, do as you will"

That's about a simple (and complex) as it gets.

And it's Wiccan, too.

Teri

GI Jane
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: October 27, 2007, 12:06:47 pm »

" 'An it harm none, do as you will"
That's about a simple (and complex) as it gets.
And it's Wiccan, too.
Teri

this is probably going to seem like a very stupid question but i had to ask anyway. im wiccan and my bf is an atheist. when the time is right how would we go about getting married? do any of you have any suggestions on how to go about it and make it different?
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #28: October 27, 2007, 12:38:28 pm »

this is probably going to seem like a very stupid question but i had to ask anyway. im wiccan and my bf is an atheist. when the time is right how would we go about getting married? do any of you have any suggestions on how to go about it and make it different?

What does he think about it? Better start there Wink

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Silberschein
Apprentice
Last Login:December 26, 2007, 12:03:05 pm
Switzerland Switzerland

Religion: Solitary

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: October 27, 2007, 02:03:24 pm »

.....do whatever you want - as long as it harms nobody...

Enjoy life, have fun, share love - be yourself!

Silberschein

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)