The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 09, 2020, 04:35:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2020, 04:35:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Releasing Spells  (Read 10885 times)
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 24, 2007, 10:27:26 pm »

Once you've done a spell, how exactly can you release it or activate it? Does it do it on its own? If not, are there ways of doing it that are better for certain types of spells than others?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #1: September 24, 2007, 11:11:37 pm »

Once you've done a spell, how exactly can you release it or activate it? Does it do it on its own? If not, are there ways of doing it that are better for certain types of spells than others?

I find it generally requires an action to signal the end of the spell's formation and the beginning of its action.  I personally stamp my foot.  Three solemn stomps for a serious, solemn spell, one single big stamp for a spell of need or immediacy.  This formally releases the spell from the spell caster and sends the energies/power/whatever on its merry way.

Depending on what kind of spell you create there are all different ways of releasing.  My dh, on the rare occasions he does magic at all, is particularly fond of what is sometimes referred to as the 'wank method'.  Since he prefers to work with sigils, and they require a somewhat forceful 'launch' (at least in the way we understand them) this is entirely natural.

Some people use a ritual phrase ('so be it', or 'so mote it be' or 'I will it so' are popular), some a throwing out of their arms or other gesture.  Different methods work for different people or for different circumstances or different spells.  Whatever you do, it should fit the rest of the spell format.  Burning, burying, throwing into water, all are good ways of launching 'ingredient-driven' spells.  Words or motions for energetic ones, other actions for other types.

Experiment

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 25, 2007, 12:30:37 am »

My method of spell casting involves the buildup of highly charged emotional and psychic energy. The method of release is different with different spells, say if I am charging an object (a candle, a amulet etc)  I focus the energy into the object. If I am doing a more general spell ( something like a Prosperity spell) I focus the energy into the face of the moon and see it raining down over the entire planet to get things moving from wherever they need.

Personally, I find chanting the most powerful way to buildup energy. I hold the visualization of the spell's purpose in my mind and chant and drum and chant and drum and pull energy into myself from the sky and pull energy into myself from the ground with each line of the chant, over and over, intensely feeling this energy (generally seen in my minds eye as light) swirling and spiraling around and around the purpose of the spell. When I am really right on the release feels very much like a psychic non sexual orgasm (hoping I am not being crude here, but it's just the most similar experience I have had) tingling in waves from my toes to the top of my head and the energy I have been holding and spiraling bursts out. I focus it with my athame as a steam of light into the object or wherever, always holding the image in my mind of the purpose of the spell. It is mainly done emotionally and with mental visualization, I do not have a set motion I do, I'm usually so involved with just handling the energy I'm not really sure what I do.

I feel that is the moment of release in the spell, the burning of the candle or burying of object is a sort of follow up. The thing has been charged as is now ready for whatever I need to do next.

I do a closing as well, knowing my purpose has been accomplished akin to;  As I do will, so it is done. I release all banes, and all I love shall share the gains (okay, so I like Shakesphere) and state the ritual is over.
sile
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 12, 2008, 03:28:39 pm

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: September 25, 2007, 10:33:14 am »

Nice question. 

Whenever possible I visualize the object of my spell work between my cupped hands and gather energy there.   When I've hit the energy level I need I open my hands, still keeping them together as if I'm making a bowl, and gently blow the visualization out into the ethers. 

Drumming and chanting to the point of orgasmic energy release is a fantastic way to release a spell, but that little whoosh of blowing the energy out of my hands floats my boat.  It shows you how much room you have to work with as you learn new skills.
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 25, 2007, 10:59:55 am »

Since the type of spells I do usually involve candle magic (and I like using candle magic because the flame gives me something to focus on or else my mind will wander) the release of the spell is either when I blow the candle out or when the candle burns out on its own. Depending on the spell, depending on the power level needed for the working, and depending on what and how I feel at the time will determine which I perform. If I am going to be allowing the candle to burn itself out then I use a smaller candle that takes about 30 minutes to completely gut out. Sometimes I feel like staying with the candle and sometimes I donít.

Other workings involve a heavy amount of mental visualizing for me and with that there really isnít any phrase or motion I use to release the spell. In my mindís eye the energy I have gathered just shoots off to complete its task or settles into the object or person Iím focusing on. Iím sure whatever you want to do will work for you. There really isnít a set way, as you can see by the variety of responses.

(Is it bad that I know where 'mithril' comes from?  Tongue)

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 25, 2007, 11:12:06 am »

(Nope Wink )

Reona
Master Member

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 25, 2007, 11:37:26 am »

(Nope Wink )

Ah, I pine for the days when Lord of the Rings geekdom was more popular. [sniffle] My poor Elf obsession is feeling very neglected.  Grin

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 25, 2007, 12:11:13 pm »

Ah, I pine for the days when Lord of the Rings geekdom was more popular. [sniffle] My poor Elf obsession is feeling very neglected.  Grin

I used to get a lot of trouble for my elf obssession, especially my variation thereof. I have to say though that my geek side has its uses, since I finally figured out where I acquired one particular visualisation I use in spellcasting, and all I can say is, it comes from a far geekier form of spellcasting  Grin

It works for the purpose I use it for though, so I guess it doesn't matter where you get the idea from as long as the visualisation works.

As far as the original question goes, what I do depends on the spell, although I must admit that I've never seen the problem with blowing out the candle - it works for me - my brain says something along the lines of.... if blowing it out is so bad (as so many 101 and cookbooks books tell you) then why do you blow out birthday candles when you make a wish on your birthday? (YMMverywellV)

Warped logic but it works well enough for me if I just blow them out.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:13:09 pm by Purplewitch » Logged

dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 25, 2007, 01:04:29 pm »

As far as the original question goes, what I do depends on the spell, although I must admit that I've never seen the problem with blowing out the candle - it works for me - my brain says something along the lines of.... if blowing it out is so bad (as so many 101 and cookbooks books tell you) then why do you blow out birthday candles when you make a wish on your birthday? (YMMverywellV)

Warped logic but it works well enough for me if I just blow them out.

Thanks PW!! Now that's one more thing on my WHY list to think about! lol Family already thinks I'm crazy cause of some of the WHY thoughts I have already.  Grin
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 25, 2007, 01:24:23 pm »

Thanks PW!! Now that's one more thing on my WHY list to think about! lol Family already thinks I'm crazy cause of some of the WHY thoughts I have already.  Grin

YW Wink
I'm already crazy and everyone who knows me knows it so welcome to the club lol

Seriously, if I remember correctly, the reasoning outside birthday candles, has something to do with wanting the energy to be controlled and/or contained (snuffing the flame) as opposed to being dissipated without control (blowing it out), but the logic just never made sense to me personally. I see blowing out the flame as sending the energy out to wherever it's supposed to go. That's just my opinion though.

And hopefully someone who understands the snuffing issue can explain the theory behind it better than I can. Because I can't be the only one who has seen it laid out as such a complete no-no in so many different places  Undecided

juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 25, 2007, 01:27:32 pm »

Drumming and chanting to the point of orgasmic energy release is a fantastic way to release a spell, but that little whoosh of blowing the energy out of my hands floats my boat.  It shows you how much room you have to work with as you learn new skills.

Yes, I absolutely agree. Spell workings are as varied as the personality of the casters and all methods are valid as long as they work. I am very visual, have boundless energy and am passionate about singing, so my method works well for me. I am certain your method suits you to a T as well. I love the imagery your post produced.

I should have mentioned that the method I described is for the Big Deal spells that I do only at need and perhaps one or two a year. What I refer to as 'spot' spells are just a deep breath, a little pull of energy spiraling up the spine and a pointing finger directs it. Good for on the spot workings, such as raising/intensifying a shield or a little push into an amulet etc.
Reona
Master Member

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: September 25, 2007, 01:42:29 pm »

Spell workings are as varied as the personality of the casters and all methods are valid as long as they work.

I think this was the hardest concept for me to come to terms with when I began my studies. We all had to learn that Paganism did not come with a big how-to manual. I was looking for a Witchcraft guide and was a little daunted when I learned how vast and varied the Craft can be. But now I see that freedom as a blessing rather than confusing and overwhelming. But I would encourage anyone seeking knowledge about the Craft to keep at it. One day it will make some sense. [Iíll let you know what I get to that point.  Grin]

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: September 25, 2007, 02:01:51 pm »

Seriously, if I remember correctly, the reasoning outside birthday candles, has something to do with wanting the energy to be controlled and/or contained (snuffing the flame) as opposed to being dissipated without control (blowing it out), but the logic just never made sense to me personally. I see blowing out the flame as sending the energy out to wherever it's supposed to go. That's just my opinion though.

And hopefully someone who understands the snuffing issue can explain the theory behind it better than I can. Because I can't be the only one who has seen it laid out as such a complete no-no in so many different places  Undecided
I've never seen that argument about snuffing vs blowing.  The argument I have seen is, "X is disrespectful to the element Fire; Y should be used instead" - with different sources citing different things as "disrespectful", so that, collectively, pretty much every means of extinguishing candles is proscribed.

<snort>

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
ďSelfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.Ē - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #13: September 25, 2007, 02:07:08 pm »

I've never seen that argument about snuffing vs blowing.  The argument I have seen is, "X is disrespectful to the element Fire; Y should be used instead" - with different sources citing different things as "disrespectful", so that, collectively, pretty much every means of extinguishing candles is proscribed.

<snort>

Sunflower

lol yep that covers pretty much everything - sadly, you know I don't have my books any more so I can't even go look. See? There are occasionally times when I miss them. Even though it included some pretty.... less than good books.

And you're right - I think - that the 'disrespectful to fire' was the reasoning I was failing to remember. I swear though I was always seeing "blowing" as the no-no. Go figure!

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #14: September 25, 2007, 02:36:13 pm »

And you're right - I think - that the 'disrespectful to fire' was the reasoning I was failing to remember. I swear though I was always seeing "blowing" as the no-no. Go figure!

I remember reading a long time ago that 'blowing' the flame out was disrespectful because it uses the element of air to 'overcome' the element of fire, indicating superiority of one element over another.  My DH puts out candles with a knife out of some unconscious version of the same thing (he is rarely interested in discussing theory, and doesn't use magic very often, so I try not to interfere with his instinctive stuff by discussing it with him unless he brings it up).

Myself, I figure the elements are balanced (like rock paper scissors basically) so I go ahead and blow.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)