The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 09, 2020, 03:39:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2020, 03:39:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Releasing Spells  (Read 10884 times)
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: September 25, 2007, 02:40:44 pm »

I remember reading a long time ago that 'blowing' the flame out was disrespectful because it uses the element of air to 'overcome' the element of fire, indicating superiority of one element over another.
<snip>
Myself, I figure the elements are balanced (like rock paper scissors basically) so I go ahead and blow.

Absent

Thanks Marilyn, that sounds familiar Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sile
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 12, 2008, 03:28:39 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: September 25, 2007, 02:57:24 pm »

I should have mentioned that the method I described is for the Big Deal spells that I do only at need and perhaps one or two a year. What I refer to as 'spot' spells are just a deep breath, a little pull of energy spiraling up the spine and a pointing finger directs it. Good for on the spot workings, such as raising/intensifying a shield or a little push into an amulet etc.

Heheh, isn't that fun?  I'll also take that breath, get the tingle and kinda push the energy toward the object with one hand or touch it. It really used to bother my daughter.  She's terribly sensitive and it seemed like every time I'd do something for her it would catch her by surprise.  There's nothing quite like placing your hand on someones shoulder to give them what they've asked for and getting punched in the arm in return.  I've pushed energy toward her for a long time now.   It's a lot safer.

The similarities in our spot spell workings has GOT to be age related. LOL 
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: September 25, 2007, 07:20:01 pm »

Other workings involve a heavy amount of mental visualizing for me and with that there really isnít any phrase or motion I use to release the spell. In my mindís eye the energy I have gathered just shoots off to complete its task or settles into the object or person Iím focusing on. Iím sure whatever you want to do will work for you. There really isnít a set way, as you can see by the variety of responses.

(Is it bad that I know where 'mithril' comes from?  Tongue)

I tried just pushing the energy out from inside me with as much force as possible, but I'm never really sure whether that worked, so I want a more concrete way of doing it until I'm much more practiced at controlling my magic.

lol, i think that being a lord of the rings/ fantasy nerd is a good thing, especially for a pagan. Tongue

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #18: September 25, 2007, 07:28:13 pm »

Heheh, isn't that fun?  I'll also take that breath, get the tingle and kinda push the energy toward the object with one hand or touch it. It really used to bother my daughter.  She's terribly sensitive and it seemed like every time I'd do something for her it would catch her by surprise.  There's nothing quite like placing your hand on someones shoulder to give them what they've asked for and getting punched in the arm in return.  I've pushed energy toward her for a long time now.   It's a lot safer.

The similarities in our spot spell workings has GOT to be age related. LOL 

well it is good to hear that. Whenever I do this to my kids, they get all pissy. Unless it is for helping them go to sleep or feel better when they are sick. So I pretty much only do magic around them for lovey-dovey maternal purposes at this time. Curious, how old was your daughter when it stopped bugging her when you did magic around her?

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: September 25, 2007, 11:13:17 pm »

I remember reading a long time ago that 'blowing' the flame out was disrespectful because it uses the element of air to 'overcome' the element of fire, indicating superiority of one element over another.  My DH puts out candles with a knife out of some unconscious version of the same thing (he is rarely interested in discussing theory, and doesn't use magic very often, so I try not to interfere with his instinctive stuff by discussing it with him unless he brings it up).

And my immediate reaction to that is 'so crushing it out with earth is more respectful than blowing it out with air?' :}

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #20: September 26, 2007, 12:51:38 am »

And my immediate reaction to that is 'so crushing it out with earth is more respectful than blowing it out with air?' :}

Me too, but he sees knives as being products of fire themselves.  At least he isn't trying to put it out with gasoline. Smiley

Absent  (I don't even like that song, and now it's stuck in my head)

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
sile
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 12, 2008, 03:28:39 pm

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: September 26, 2007, 12:55:36 am »

well it is good to hear that. Whenever I do this to my kids, they get all pissy. Unless it is for helping them go to sleep or feel better when they are sick. So I pretty much only do magic around them for lovey-dovey maternal purposes at this time. Curious, how old was your daughter when it stopped bugging her when you did magic around her?

I finally quit when she was about 14.  Her sensitivity level just kept increasing to the point where I became uncomfortable working around or for her.  If she ever decides she wants to work with the gifts that are lying beneath all that sensitivity she'll have some sweet skills.  Probably make me look like the newbie that my Cauldron rating says I am right now.  ;-)
Kazer
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 08, 2008, 07:33:55 am
China China

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: September 26, 2007, 05:37:22 am »

so I go ahead and blow.

When I'm putting out a candle I press the flat of my athame against the wick and imagine the energy funneling through the athame to do whatever it is it needs to do. Smiley

Outside of the visualization, it's a little more reliable for a quick put out them blowing.

But that's just me.

Life's a witch and then you fly.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #23: September 26, 2007, 08:24:23 am »

I find it generally requires an action to signal the end of the spell's formation and the beginning of its action.  I personally stamp my foot.  Three solemn stomps for a serious, solemn spell, one single big stamp for a spell of need or immediacy.  This formally releases the spell from the spell caster and sends the energies/power/whatever on its merry way.

I like that stomp-thing. I used stomping sometimes to get attention, but to release - have to try that one  Smiley

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #24: September 26, 2007, 09:58:45 am »

I finally quit when she was about 14.  Her sensitivity level just kept increasing to the point where I became uncomfortable working around or for her.  If she ever decides she wants to work with the gifts that are lying beneath all that sensitivity she'll have some sweet skills.  Probably make me look like the newbie that my Cauldron rating says I am right now.  ;-)

eh, that just means you have to post more. I am highly doubtful that I am a journeyman, dragon adventures notwithstanding...

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #25: September 26, 2007, 10:26:44 am »

I tried just pushing the energy out from inside me with as much force as possible, but I'm never really sure whether that worked, so I want a more concrete way of doing it until I'm much more practiced at controlling my magic.

Perhaps an actual phrase would be more to your liking? I know someone suggested saying ďSo mote it be.Ē or ďSo I will it, so it be done.Ē But you could really say anything you wanted as an activating point. ďI release you to your task.Ē I like the idea of flinging out your arms to release the energy you have gathered, sort of like releasing birds. It just sort of explodes outward from you.

For me my workings are heavily visualizing and mental based and thatís because things go better in my head. I sound very eloquent inside my head but it seems like my mouth has different ideas. I stutter and pause a lot if I try to say what Iím thinking out loud. Really, a person coming across me when Iím doing a working would only find me standing very still staring fixedly at a candle and perhaps see some arm movement, hear some humming, and very rarely some singing.

Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: September 26, 2007, 05:57:27 pm »

Perhaps an actual phrase would be more to your liking? I know someone suggested saying ďSo mote it be.Ē or ďSo I will it, so it be done.Ē But you could really say anything you wanted as an activating point. ďI release you to your task.Ē I like the idea of flinging out your arms to release the energy you have gathered, sort of like releasing birds. It just sort of explodes outward from you.

I tried talking, but since I'm still a magic newbie, I feel insanely stupid talking to myself. I sing to myself though (makes no sense, i know), so I'm toying with the idea of putting my spells to song and just in case anyone does hear me, to put the song into a elvish-based language i've made up. i like that even if i don't care about people hearing because it's more like directly putting my will into words, you know? like for example, the word 'book' just doesn't represent the essence of 'book' to me.
ok. way off subject, sorry.

what kind of drum do people use? a bodhran?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: September 26, 2007, 06:32:34 pm »

Perhaps an actual phrase would be more to your liking? I know someone suggested saying "So mote it be." or "So I will it, so it be done." But you could really say anything you wanted as an activating point.

I often use "Let it be written. Let it be done." (I really liked the movie The Ten Commandments as a kid.) I know some fans of ST:TNG who end spells with "Make it so!"

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: October 03, 2007, 05:59:18 pm »

I used to get a lot of trouble for my elf obssession, especially my variation thereof. I have to say though that my geek side has its uses, since I finally figured out where I acquired one particular visualisation I use in spellcasting, and all I can say is, it comes from a far geekier form of spellcasting  Grin

It works for the purpose I use it for though, so I guess it doesn't matter where you get the idea from as long as the visualisation works.

As far as the original question goes, what I do depends on the spell, although I must admit that I've never seen the problem with blowing out the candle - it works for me - my brain says something along the lines of.... if blowing it out is so bad (as so many 101 and cookbooks books tell you) then why do you blow out birthday candles when you make a wish on your birthday? (YMMverywellV)

Warped logic but it works well enough for me if I just blow them out.

Now see, I always blow them out.  I think the snuffing them out thing is silly. 

On the original question of how to end spells, I do a spell first of all by a combo of prayer, focusing on what I want usually with a rhyming spell (like the way they sound  Grin )  and by making an energy ball, and asking God to pour energy in (I visualize white light/energy being poured in to the energy ball out of a pitcher filled with white light) and then I release it three times and throw it up and out with my hands the three times. 

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: October 03, 2007, 06:29:43 pm »

Now see, I always blow them out.  I think the snuffing them out thing is silly. 

I haven't done any spells for a LOOOOOONG time, but when I did, they almost always involved candles.  I always either blew them out or let them burn themselves out. 

I never understood the whole snuffing issue either.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)