The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 11, 2019, 06:21:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:21:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Family tricks  (Read 9047 times)
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 16, 2007, 09:40:34 pm »

For those of us whose parents and other family members are not pagan or practicing any sort of magical system, can you think of any things that your family does/did that in retrospect could be considered a type of magic?

For example, my mother was always really good at drawing off pain. (Probably a relatively common mother thing.) I can remember getting vaccinations at the doctor; my mum always held my hand and told me to "give the pain to her."

I seem to have inherited this knack. Even though I have very little healing talent, if someone has a headache, I can "take" it from them. Of course this means I end up with the headache, but hey, I can do it. I can also give pain to my partner if I'm not careful. It's a bit embarassing to have someone pointing their finger at you saying "You gave me your hangover!" Ooops, I wondered why I was feeling so good. *hangs head in shame*

Anyway, does anyone else have anything like this in their families? I'm not really thing of famtrads, more like family knacks or tricks.

Betty  Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 16, 2007, 10:19:15 pm »

Even though I have very little healing talent, if someone has a headache, I can "take" it from them. Of course this means I end up with the headache, but hey, I can do it. I can also give pain to my partner if I'm not careful. It's a bit embarassing to have someone pointing their finger at you saying "You gave me your hangover!" Ooops, I wondered why I was feeling so good. *hangs head in shame*

My entire family can do this, which can be problematic at times. There's speculation that my uncles took on my grandfather's heart attack several years ago (they're twin brothers who had mild heart attacks at almost the same time, and my grandfather was having a lot of heart problems). I was very young, so I personally can't be sure.

Another family trait (which honestly I'd like to lose) is the ability to kill any plant we touch. I'm not joking. The only plants I've come across which do not die within days of my mother, my grandmother, my aunts or my touch are trees and things that are tree-like (like juniper bushes, for example).

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 16, 2007, 10:48:45 pm »

For those of us whose parents and other family members are not pagan or practicing any sort of magical system, can you think of any things that your family does/did that in retrospect could be considered a type of magic?

Anyway, does anyone else have anything like this in their families? I'm not really thing of famtrads, more like family knacks or tricks.

Betty  Smiley

My dad used to rub his hands together some (yanno, to heat them up) and then put them on (using me for an example here) my head and make my headaches go away. Basically, he could put his hands on whatever part of your (general here) body and heat it up enough to make it quit hurting.  I can do this to an extent but I've found that if I touch any metal that's not on my hands (rings Smiley ), the heat and energy drains away and I get cold all over.

Also, the rest of us, my mom, me, my little brother, and the older sibs to some extent, can "get ahold of" any of the rest of us just by concentrating on whomever and/or thinking about her/him alot. Apparently, my grandmother could do the same.  Smiley

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 16, 2007, 10:56:44 pm »

I seem to have inherited this knack. Even though I have very little healing talent, if someone has a headache, I can "take" it from them. Of course this means I end up with the headache, but hey, I can do it. I can also give pain to my partner if I'm not careful. It's a bit embarassing to have someone pointing their finger at you saying "You gave me your hangover!" Ooops, I wondered why I was feeling so good. *hangs head in shame*

"empathic healing"... I do the same thing. I take people's emotional or physical pain away from them and carry it myself. It's a heavy burden sometimes, but if I truly care about the person, I am happy to do it.

Empathy and healing is a family thing from my mother's side, so is telepathy. But my mom is quasi-pagan-Buddhist-taoist so it's not really that she doesn't accept that stuff but does it anyway.

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #4: March 16, 2007, 11:13:40 pm »

"empathic healing"... I do the same thing. I take people's emotional or physical pain away from them and carry it myself. It's a heavy burden sometimes, but if I truly care about the person, I am happy to do it.

Well, I'll take it when I can (usually only for family members and DH), but I won't carry it.  I 'transfer' it as soon as I have it, usually to a tomato, since that's what I've found most receptive so far.  It's amazing how fast they rot after you do this, and woe betide anyone who takes it and eats it before you get a chance to dispose of it.  Throwing it away immediately is safest, but I've kept them around to compare their rotting rates with the 'unused' tomatoes from the same batch.

It's weird, but I've found tomatoes wonderful conduits for all sorts of things, good and bad.  You can send 'flu recovery' into them and serve them to the sickie with great results.  I did once kill my entire patch by burying the remains of a negativity-trapping spell in their soil, even though it was just ashes, so I've learned to be careful.

I have no idea why they're so sensitive, but, as I said, it comes in handy.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Elisabette
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 16, 2007, 11:15:41 pm »

Glad I'm not the only one.  Smiley  Yeah, there are a limited number of people I'll do that for.  People I care about a lot, and crazy people that approach me.  For some reason absorbing confusion doesn't seem to mess me up as much as physical or emotional distress does.

I've been wondering a lot lately about these little bits of mojo that "regular" people use.  Another example: when I was a kid my best friend's mum used to amuse us by staring at the backs of people's heads and making them turn around. I've just been wondering how common this stuff is.

Betty  Smiley
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 16, 2007, 11:19:04 pm »

cool tomato stuff

That's really interesting! I'll have to remember that.

Elisabette
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 16, 2007, 11:25:24 pm »

It's weird, but I've found tomatoes wonderful conduits for all sorts of things, good and bad.  You can send 'flu recovery' into them and serve them to the sickie with great results.  I did once kill my entire patch by burying the remains of a negativity-trapping spell in their soil, even though it was just ashes, so I've learned to be careful.

I have no idea why they're so sensitive, but, as I said, it comes in handy.

Absent

I'd never thought of using tomatoes like this, but it makes sense. I'll try that. 

Out of curiosity, have you tried planting the seeds? My guess would be they're not affected, but it would be interesting to find out.

Betty Smiley
Elisabette
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 16, 2007, 11:32:31 pm »

Another family trait (which honestly I'd like to lose) is the ability to kill any plant we touch. I'm not joking. The only plants I've come across which do not die within days of my mother, my grandmother, my aunts or my touch are trees and things that are tree-like (like juniper bushes, for example).

Ooooh, a death thumb!  I've only ever known one of these. She's a physicist.

I've worked for years as a frickin' professional gardener, and I just have to look at an African violet to make it start rotting.  Smiley  The only time I can keep them alive is if I water someone else's when I notice that it's about to croak anyways.

Betty  Smiley
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 16, 2007, 11:44:26 pm »

I've worked for years as a frickin' professional gardener, and I just have to look at an African violet to make it start rotting.  Smiley  The only time I can keep them alive is if I water someone else's when I notice that it's about to croak anyways.

Betty  Smiley

I think it lessens as we get older- as a child, a plant would show signs of wilting by the end of the day if I touched it- now, it takes 3 or 4 days to wilt, and my grandmother can actually keep an aloe plant (those things are hardy).

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 17, 2007, 12:04:05 am »

Well, I'll take it when I can (usually only for family members and DH), but I won't carry it.  I 'transfer' it as soon as I have it, usually to a tomato, since that's what I've found most receptive so far.  It's amazing how fast they rot after you do this, and woe betide anyone who takes it and eats it before you get a chance to dispose of it.  Throwing it away immediately is safest, but I've kept them around to compare their rotting rates with the 'unused' tomatoes from the same batch.

I don't intend to carry it, but the thing is, with emotional pain, I don't know that I'm doing it. I recently carried some of the pain of a woman who is going through a *very* hard time (it involves her children, I won't say more than that because she doesn't want it known). I became ill because of it, but didn't realize the cause until someone else stepped in and broke the link. Then it became clear as crystal. As she's a good friend of mine though, I would do it again in an instant. I am aware that it happens though, so I have to be careful.

Betty  Smiley

LOL I have a "death thumb" too, but not so bad as you guys!! I have a habit of killing plants, usually by forgetting to water them but sometimes they just die anyway. I have managed to kill even a snake plant, for some reason my spider plant is still going (much to my mother's dismay...she hates it) and my african violet and air fern are both flourishing. I have a shamrock I have nicknamed my "Jesus plant" because no matter how many times I kill it, it comes back to life! Cheesy

magicklynxx
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 18, 2009, 12:36:06 pm

Religion: Pagan

What if?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 18, 2007, 09:23:59 am »

My Grandparents are farmers, of the old fashioned kind.  They eat their own produce (squash, onions, potatoes, corn, tomatoes, plums, peaches, pears, peas, beans, etc.)  and sell it at the local farmer's market.  My grandpa does something strange with his crops using a 20 year old calendar as a divination tool, and I don't even understand it.  The rest of the family thinks he's kooky for it, but their vegetables are unmatched in the local area for taste and quality.  He also is a known water witch, using a willow stick to dowse for underground water. That's my dad's side of the family.

My mom, having the luck of the Irish, wins things in drawings more often than any person I've ever heard of.  She's won everything from pots and pans to $5000 ham radio equipment.  I've inherited this ability somewhat, and it is a concious thing, not just being "lucky". There's a certain feeling that I have to get my mind into... it's a combination between precognition and influencing events, not sure how to explain it. It's influencing my own mind into the feeling that I'm GOING to win a prize, and then letting the feeling wash over me as if it is precognition.  I'm not as good at it as she is yet, but I've won a portable DVD player, digital camera, money, T shirts... just haven't figured out the lottery yet, not that I play the lottery.  My mom doesn't play the lottery either, because to her it's gambling and a sin.  Don't see the difference between a raffle and a lottery, except maybe the fact that raffles are usually for charity.  (And lottery is for education, right?)

~Lecia~

May you ever walk comfortably in the shadows. Neither blinded by the light nor lost in the dark...
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #12: March 18, 2007, 09:39:22 am »

Mmh, that's interessting with the Tomatoes, got to think about this.
Maybe it's because they a) contain a lot of water and b) are a member of the nightshade family which is all witchy by itself  Wink

The healing by laying the hands on is far more common as one might think. Even before it got all fancy with being called Reiki. It is a natural way, the first impulse if you hurt yourself is to put a hand on the spot. And beside this, all mom's can do this trick, can't they?  Cheesy

(To those of you who take over the pain and suffer, beside tomatoes crystals will work fine - oh and grounding of course  Smiley)

In my family a talent for feeling/sensing/seeing/dreaming of the departed seems to be inherited. Plus sensing 'good' or 'bad' house, spot, -fill in whatever you like-.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 18, 2007, 09:41:07 am »

Betty  Smiley

My dad is scary charismatic.  He can make anyone believe him while saying anything.  He's naturally magnetic.  I found that I can do it; but it is in my opinion a subtle form of either glamoury, or casting of some sort.  People adore him when they are around him, but it wears off usually about 12 hours afterwards.  They don't become obsessed or anything weird like that but they become very very agreeable to whatever he's saying.  yesss.... he makes perfect sense...  but they also get sort of idiotic at the same time.  Since I'm not sure exactly what he's doing, and I don't think he is either, I just don't go there very often.

He can also *fix* you with a stare down.  Makes your heart sort of stumble, and bammo... deer in the headlights.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: March 18, 2007, 12:33:20 pm »

My Grandparents are farmers, of the old fashioned kind.  They eat their own produce (squash, onions, potatoes, corn, tomatoes, plums, peaches, pears, peas, beans, etc.)  and sell it at the local farmer's market.  My grandpa does something strange with his crops using a 20 year old calendar as a divination tool, and I don't even understand it.  The rest of the family thinks he's kooky for it, but their vegetables are unmatched in the local area for taste and quality. 

I have to wonder if he's not figuring out the best times to plant his crops by the moon phase or something. It would be quite interesting to find out and/or to learn what he's doing and how he's doing it.  Smiley

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)