The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2022, 12:05:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2022, 12:05:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Kitchen Witchery, anyone here do it?  (Read 10398 times)
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member
Last Login:March 11, 2008, 07:07:34 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Brighideach Druid (OBOD) and a little bit of witchery thrown in.

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 28, 2007, 09:15:18 pm »

It sounds like something I am doing/would be interested in doing.

Just wondering how you go about it etc.  Do you have little rituals/spells you use every time you cook?  Or just occasionally?  Do you just make sure you put a lot of love in to every sauce?  That sort of thing.

Do you have any reading recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Neme.

Mae'r cariad at fy ngwlad yn berwi yn fy ngwaed.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 28, 2007, 09:38:32 pm »

Just wondering how you go about it etc.  Do you have little rituals/spells you use every time you cook?  Or just occasionally?  Do you just make sure you put a lot of love in to every sauce?  That sort of thing.

Thanks in advance,

Neme.

I was  a kitchen witch before I knew that is what I was. I make extremely curative chicken soup for sick people. I make all kinds of cool stuff in my kitchen. Heck, my altar is in the kitchen. Scott cunningham, the grandaddy of all kitchen witches, has an awesome book on the topic.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 29, 2007, 12:53:52 pm »

I silently bless everything I cook, but I sometimes bind spells to a given dish.  This weekend I'm taking a big pot of soup to a friend with thyroid cancer.  She has a number of allergies, so the spell talks about adding back various blessings (healing, sleep, joy) instead of some of the normal seasonings I might use.

Brina
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:June 19, 2022, 03:47:05 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: September 29, 2007, 12:57:31 pm »

I think kitchen witchery is a state of mind, not "Oh, let me do this little cooking spell".  I consider it closely related to a lot of folk magic traditions, which are certainly not limited to the kitchen.

Things to think about for my mode of kitchen-witch expression:

What are the culinary, medicinal, and esoteric properties of the herbs and spices you have around the house?  (I don't know as much of this as I would like, but I have reference books.)

Do you grow an aloe plant in case of burns?

If your stomach's upset, do you go for the medicine cabinet or the kettle?  Can you prepare a meal designed to deal with the symptoms of an illness?

Do you have a relationship with domestic spirits and house fae?  Do you keep your household in reasonable order?  Do you know how to protect your home magically, with symbols, amulets, wards?

Do you put down bay leaves to keep out the ants?

If you need to do spellwork of some sort, do you grab for the practical and everyday components and tools, or the ceremonial, ritualistic, and formal?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 29, 2007, 01:23:06 pm »

I think kitchen witchery is a state of mind, not "Oh, let me do this little cooking spell".  I consider it closely related to a lot of folk magic traditions, which are certainly not limited to the kitchen.

Things to think about for my mode of kitchen-witch expression:
What are the culinary, medicinal, and esoteric properties of the herbs and spices you have around the house?  (I don't know as much of this as I would like, but I have reference books.)
Do you grow an aloe plant in case of burns?
If your stomach's upset, do you go for the medicine cabinet or the kettle?  Can you prepare a meal designed to deal with the symptoms of an illness?
Do you have a relationship with domestic spirits and house fae?  Do you keep your household in reasonable order?  Do you know how to protect your home magically, with symbols, amulets, wards?
Do you put down bay leaves to keep out the ants?

Thanks Darkhawk for that nice little check list!  I never concidered myself a "Kitchen Witch" before!

I answered "yes" to nearly all. Except the aloe, I grow it for all kinds of things, not just burns! -LOL

Just this morning I was handing out a concoction for a cold. I guess I thought a Kitchen Witch had to be more in-the-know about herbs and exotic compounds than I am, I never thought of it as being a state of mind.

Thanks in advance,
Neme.

I agree with Darkhawk. I think it isn't a matter of muttering spells over dishes, but using Folk Traditions in cooking and the home. I was lucky enough to have a Grandmother who was was just brimming with these that I learned from, but I would think there would be plenty of books to get you started if you are at a loss.

I do have some amulets and lucky items hanging in my kitchen as well, to guard my kitchen and help prevent mishaps.

Good luck on this path!
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 29, 2007, 05:18:07 pm »

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I answered yes to a few of those check points too :-)

I shall get Scott Cunninghams book when I have the money.  I would like better references.  I have a couple of books on basic herbs and things, and use Plants for a Future as reference too, quite a lot in fact!  I'm always looking for more natural remedies, we were brought up on homeopathy for example, and using dock to cure nettle stings etc.

I cooked nettles and dandelion leaves from the garden for the first time the other day, in a pasta dish, they were really yummy!

I absolutely hate using chemical medicines and avoid them where possible.  I've always been lucky in that I don't seem to have doctors that push them too much either, not that I'm averse to using them when necessary of course.

My kitchen window sill has become sort of a little shrine.  It gets loads of light, particularly in the mornings, so sometimes I'll leave my crystals to charge/cleanse there.  I also like to have a sprig or two of whatever plants are in flower or have berries on, just in a little rose bud vase, candles, one of my dragons (Nogard Roll Eyes), the odd science experiment of my son's, lol.

Aloe is fantastic, isn't it?  I need to get a new plant, some dogs I had a while ago ate mine...  Just hope the cat doesn't feel the temptation too.

From the sounds of it I'm pretty much heading the way of a kitchen witch, I probably just need to focus a bit more and learn more about herbs and other natural ingredients, though I've been learning on and off all my life!

Really interesting answers, thank you.

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 02, 2007, 06:50:20 am »

Just looking through my currently-limited library.....Ellen Dugan's Cottage Witchery is good; I have heard that Garden Witchery is as well, though I don't own it nor have I read it. Patricia Telesco's A Kitchen Witch's Cookbook is my own personal bible, Wink If you're interested in potion-making then The Pocket Idiot's Guide to Potions by Kerri Connor is good. I also notice I have The Sacred Kitchen by Robin and Jon Robertson, but I haven't read it yet. Might be worth checking out though.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
nemesisfirestorm
Master Member

Tattoo for Brighid

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 02, 2007, 09:00:47 am »

Just looking through my currently-limited library.....Ellen Dugan's Cottage Witchery is good; I have heard that Garden Witchery is as well, though I don't own it nor have I read it. Patricia Telesco's A Kitchen Witch's Cookbook is my own personal bible, Wink If you're interested in potion-making then The Pocket Idiot's Guide to Potions by Kerri Connor is good. I also notice I have The Sacred Kitchen by Robin and Jon Robertson, but I haven't read it yet. Might be worth checking out though.

Ooh thank you!  Somehow I don't think they'll have them in my local library, so I might have to get them to order some in for me...  Book buying has been limited to using birthday/Christmas money for some time now *sigh* so my personal library has become somewhat limited again too.  But I can always take notes, something not enough people do these days lol!

Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 02, 2007, 09:38:48 am »

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I answered yes to a few of those check points too :-)

I shall get Scott Cunninghams book when I have the money. 

Also try The Kitchen Witch's Cookbook by Patricia Telesco, and you might even try searching your local library for some of these, you never know. It is largely a matter of knowing what foods are good for what goals, a state of mind in how you approach preparing your meals.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire
Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 02, 2007, 01:29:06 pm »

What is natural inside you, how you are. How you run your home. "Home is where the hearth is" In times of old the kitchen was the room in which people gathered. By the hearth. Hense KW but it's much more than that.
3 or 4 years ago, one that teaches me refered to me as a kitchen witch. I was surprised at first but the more I thought about it the more I realised a KW is a natural witch, acting along the lines of a traditional witch, it is something that is already there, already living that way of life... more or less. Study brings out the skills that are already there. About nurturing and caring. A home to come out of the rain where the energies flow freely, warm and welcoming.

As it was said to me,

"KW have minor talents, such as sight, divination, and home/fairy magic. They are called minor, because they deal with the low magics, that of the earth and elements, rather than high magic which is "spiritual" and more energy based.
KW ARE magic- the magic is built-in. They will never need ritual tools to connect to magic, because it is a part of them. They will never need to ground and center, channel energy (in terms of tapping into it). They tend to always have energy when they need it. All these things, are things that are not done with Mind, since it is a part of the KW's make-up, like a heart beating or lungs breathing.
Wiccan based magic is using Faith and certain guidelines to get energy to work. It is based in beleif, ritual, and spirituality."

This was a conversation that was about KW compared to Wiccan.
------------------------------------

Good questions Blackhawk.

Using what is in the cubboard. Though I don't have an aloe plant. *I feel sad when I look at one that is of the working plant. Like pieces or arms missing* I tend to make teas, infusions. Keeping some in the fridge and freezing the rest into icecubes to be used when fresh or teas are not on hand.

I prefer to use Sage and Basil teas *kept in cork toped bottles in the fridge, cubes on hand* for burns. Takes the sting out on contact, cools to prevent the continous burning deeper into layers of skin. Antiseptic and no blisters. A papertowel works great to use. Reappling new if it begins to sting again.
I find I like Basil, and husband finds Sage works better.
Chamomile tea from the fridge perfert to stop red eye, and irritated eyes. *blink blink as you pour*

Even a KW with some experience runs into emergencies that there's no time to be looking up the info.
On Labour day weekend, I asked my husband to remove the sod out of the firepit *leftover from new flowerbed, didn't want to kill the lawn* It had not been there long, but a swarm of hornets made there home in it. With pitchfork in hand he started digging. Right into the nest, torn it in half not knowing it until he jabbed into the other chunk. They attacked, I heard him yelling for help, reached the patio doors when he did. I dragged him into the kitchen, he was wearing nothing but a pair of cutoff shorts.

At first I didn't know what was wrong as I saw no hornets. The stings began to swell. I grabbed some basil out of the fridge and mixed it with cornstarch applying it as they swelled. Asking him where are the stings, before they turned red and swell. He could only tell me his left arm and side was on fire.
I started having trouble keeping up with them, after 9 I started to get panicy and mentioned the hospital. He said calmly, "what your doing is working keep going." Finally all the stings had showed themselves. I counted 17 on his arm and side. They had moved up the pitchfork going after his arm and side, he was fast enough to outrun them and get in the house.
For a half an hour I washed and reapplied as it dried or I could see the poison drop in the mixture.
Watching his breathing, tongue. After danger had past is when I got shakey and had to sit down.

Feeding the sick and convelesent comes naturally to those that are KW's.
Treatments are in the kitchen. As is for baths for bruises or aches.

My home and the property I am caretaker and caregiver. Evil/negatives do not step over my threshold.

Bay leaves for ants. Ya and a bay leaf in your flour keeps away weevils.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:05:17 pm by Cent, Reason: should have read \"Even a KW with some experience\" rather than \"an experienced KW\".. *blush* » Logged

Energy Follows Attention
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 04, 2007, 07:44:15 am »

What is natural inside you, how you are. How you run your home. "Home is where the hearth is" In times of old the kitchen was the room in which people gathered. By the hearth. Hense KW but it's much more than that. I tend to make teas, infusions. Keeping some in the fridge and freezing the rest into icecubes to be used when fresh or teas are not on hand.

I prefer to use Sage and Basil teas *kept in cork toped bottles in the fridge, cubes on hand* for burns. Takes the sting out on contact, cools to prevent the continous burning deeper into layers of skin. Antiseptic and no blisters. A papertowel works great to use. Reappling new if it begins to sting again.
I find I like Basil, and husband finds Sage works better.
Chamomile tea from the fridge perfert to stop red eye, and irritated eyes. *blink blink as you pour*

At first I didn't know what was wrong as I saw no hornets. The stings began to swell. I grabbed some basil out of the fridge and mixed it with cornstarch applying it as they swelled. Asking him where are the stings, before they turned red and swell. He could only tell me his left arm and side was on fire.
I started having trouble keeping up with them, after 9 I started to get panicy and mentioned the hospital. He said calmly, "what your doing is working keep going." Finally all the stings had showed themselves. I counted 17 on his arm and side. They had moved up the pitchfork going after his arm and side, he was fast enough to outrun them and get in the house.
For a half an hour I washed and reapplied as it dried or I could see the poison drop in the mixture.
Watching his breathing, tongue. After danger had past is when I got shakey and had to sit down.

I am borrowing your ice cube idea (it's going into my Why didn't I ever think of that? file)

My mother used to use baking soda plus something that I couldn't remember for flea bites, I bet the something was basil , thanks!
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: October 05, 2007, 12:21:19 am »

Cent,

I noticed by the time stamp on your edit that you edited your post almost 24 hours after originally posting it. This is a bannable offense and, due to confusion issues, we ask that edits not be done more than 2-3 minutes after the fact but that a new post be put up.

This is not an official warning altho it very well should be. You will not get an unofficial warning again.

Thank you.
Celtee,
Cauldron Staff

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Cent
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 05, 2007, 08:12:23 am »

Cent,

I noticed by the time stamp on your edit that you edited your post almost 24 hours after originally posting it. This is a bannable offense and, due to confusion issues, we ask that edits not be done more than 2-3 minutes after the fact but that a new post be put up.

This is not an official warning altho it very well should be. You will not get an unofficial warning again.

Thank you.
Celtee,
Cauldron Staff

Yes the next day I stopped in realizing I came off sounding like an Experienced KW rather than one in training. I did think to quote myself in a new post, but thought the edit stamp would show larger.

I best re-read the rules, there is always a good reason why rules are implemented.
I can see *pun intended* why this rule is so important to you. To go back into a post to correct or change ones words after others have posted would indeed cause confusion. Not to mention the havoc it would cause changing ones words, during say... a heated discussion.

I appreciate The Cauldron gives leeway for a first mistake. My apologies for committing a bannable offense. It was not my intent to break the rules.

Thank-you Celtee for the un-official warning.

Energy Follows Attention
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: October 05, 2007, 08:19:16 am »

Yes the next day I stopped in realizing I came off sounding like an Experienced KW rather than one in training. I did think to quote myself in a new post, but thought the edit stamp would show larger.

There's really nothing wrong with make minor edits for typos like that provided you explain it in the edit field as you did AND make a new post to the thread telling about the edit. Without the new message, those who have already read the original post will never even know the edit has been made.

The only time where making any changes at all (even this correct way) would get you in trouble is in a debate thread where you change the meaning of the original post in any way that could affect the discussion after someone has already replied (as you could change your post to make it look like they misread you original statement).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Cent
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 05, 2007, 06:19:21 pm »

There's really nothing wrong with make minor edits for typos like that provided you explain it in the edit field as you did AND make a new post to the thread telling about the edit. Without the new message, those who have already read the original post will never even know the edit has been made.

The only time where making any changes at all (even this correct way) would get you in trouble is in a debate thread where you change the meaning of the original post in any way that could affect the discussion after someone has already replied (as you could change your post to make it look like they misread you original statement).

So it was because I did not post a new message to tell that I edited. Missing this step caused the problem. I understand and I get why this is an important rule for many reasons, including during a heated discussion, or like you said... a debate thread.

My apoligies for interupting the thread you started nemesisfirestorm.

Energy Follows Attention

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)