The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 03:28:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 03:28:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Huge washing machine disaster - floorboards very wet - help!  (Read 7636 times)
Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 29, 2007, 05:32:59 am »

My grandmother lives in a really old house with no washer/dryer hookups.  She's got this setup where the washer drains through a hose that you put in the shower.  Works fine, usually.

Except that I am a giant idiot and forgot to put the hose back in the shower after I used it, and the whole machine drained out onto the floor, twice (wash and rinse), and the water soaked all the way down to the basement, which I just finished mopping.

Now I'm worried about the floor.  The linoleum feels funny in two places, like the wood under it's gone a bit squishy.  I don't know anything about floorboards or house stuff, and now I'm worried the bathroom's going to collapse or something.  Also my grandmother's coming back home today at 5:00pm EST from a visit to my dad's, so this'll be a surprise for her. Tongue

So far I have mopped the bathroom and run the fan until it dried, mopped the basement, and washed all the mats, though they don't look too good.  Anything else I can do?

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: September 29, 2007, 07:52:10 am »

My grandmother lives in a really old house with no washer/dryer hookups.  She's got this setup where the washer drains through a hose that you put in the shower.  Works fine, usually.

Except that I am a giant idiot and forgot to put the hose back in the shower after I used it, and the whole machine drained out onto the floor, twice (wash and rinse), and the water soaked all the way down to the basement, which I just finished mopping.

Now I'm worried about the floor.  The linoleum feels funny in two places, like the wood under it's gone a bit squishy.  I don't know anything about floorboards or house stuff, and now I'm worried the bathroom's going to collapse or something.  Also my grandmother's coming back home today at 5:00pm EST from a visit to my dad's, so this'll be a surprise for her. Tongue

So far I have mopped the bathroom and run the fan until it dried, mopped the basement, and washed all the mats, though they don't look too good.  Anything else I can do?

Not something I've had to deal with, but it sounds like you're doing the more cosmetic stuff. What it sounds like is the linoleum is going to have to come up so those floorboards can dry out. The problem is going to be the wood buckling that can happen. And, yeah, the integrity of the boards might be compromised. All I can suggest right now is pulling up the linoleum and getting a fan in there to dry it out. And that takes time. Until that happens it's going to be hard to say what the outcome will be. One thing you're going to need, though, is someone who can come in and assess the problem once the drying out has happened. And you can probably kiss the flooring goodbye. Sad

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Beachglass
Master Member

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 29, 2007, 10:34:34 am »

All I can suggest right now is pulling up the linoleum and getting a fan in there to dry it out.

Ugh, I was afraid someone was going to say that. Sad Unfortunately the linoleum is in one big sheet, and the washer and dryer are on top of it, so I am not sure I can get them out of there and pull it up without help.  I'll have a look at it though, as I was hoping I could sort this all out before my gram comes back.

I did have one bright spot in that I managed to borrow a dehumidifier for the basement.  Hopefully that'll have some effect on the floor above as well.

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: September 29, 2007, 10:44:08 am »

As Lyric said, the best thing you can do would be to remove the linoleum and let the floor dry out. Other than plaster or sheetrock, soaking the floor once once won't cause the floor to collapse. Leaving it wet without drying out however, can cause the wood to rot or grow lots of nasty mold. Also, you need to be careful because depending on what's under that area there could be electrical junction boxes for lights or whatever.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Beachglass
Master Member

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 29, 2007, 11:06:20 am »

Also, you need to be careful because depending on what's under that area there could be electrical junction boxes for lights or whatever.

Well, one advantage of an old old house is that power points are scarce!  Tongue  I'm trying to get ahold of my father now to see what he says about taking up the linoleum.  It's pretty ratty so maybe I can take it up in pieces and replace it with new.  I'll ask him about the electricity as well.

Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 29, 2007, 12:03:19 pm »

Is the wood floor open to the basement from underneath?  If so, it could dry that way.  If not, any sheetrock and insulation needs to come out.
And maybe the floor was already going from this problem before you added to it.
Beachglass
Master Member

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 29, 2007, 12:31:51 pm »

Is the wood floor open to the basement from underneath?  If so, it could dry that way.

Yes, there's not a even speck of insulation down there!  I could reach up and feel the damp boards.  The dehumidifier's only been running for about two hours, but later I will check and see if there is any improvement.  Smiley  Still haven't got ahold of Dad to get his opinion.

And maybe the floor was already going from this problem before you added to it.

My aunt, who lent me the dehumidifier, pointed out that the washing machine setup is rather weird, and so I am probably not the first person to have done this.  I can only hope; I would feel a bit less stupid if I wasn't the first!   Roll Eyes

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 29, 2007, 12:45:32 pm »

Anything else I can do?

Aside from what everyone else has already suggested, you might rent a big exhaust fan to get the air moving a bit.  Stagnation is mold's best friend.

Brina
Beachglass
Master Member

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 29, 2007, 12:52:33 pm »

Aside from what everyone else has already suggested, you might rent a big exhaust fan to get the air moving a bit.  Stagnation is mold's best friend.

Can I get that from Home Depot?  I foresee a visit there very soon...  Roll Eyes  Right now there's a regular fan in there, dunno how much that's doing.  Ooh, but there's a window fan upstairs, I can put that in for now.

And a general update, I finally talked to my dad, who assured me that Gram has herself done this on more than one occasion.  He also said the linoleum definitely needs to be replaced anyway, and is not even glued down!  So as soon as my grandmother gets home I'll be cutting out the bits over the wet spots, and the whole thing comes out as soon as my BIL can get over here and help me move the appliances.

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #9: September 30, 2007, 08:21:25 am »

Can I get that from Home Depot?  I foresee a visit there very soon...  Roll Eyes  Right now there's a regular fan in there, dunno how much that's doing.  Ooh, but there's a window fan upstairs, I can put that in for now.

And a general update, I finally talked to my dad, who assured me that Gram has herself done this on more than one occasion.  He also said the linoleum definitely needs to be replaced anyway, and is not even glued down!  So as soon as my grandmother gets home I'll be cutting out the bits over the wet spots, and the whole thing comes out as soon as my BIL can get over here and help me move the appliances.

Linoleum tiles at home depot are not very expensive.  You could prolly redo gram's whole floor for her once it all dries out, pretty cheaply.  They also have lots of pretty patterns that look like other materials (tile, stone, etc)  Mebbe you could throw down some plywood between over the other floorboards and the new linoleum, cause methinks you might find a lot of old damage under that old linoleum.

You can rent pretty much anything at home depot.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: September 30, 2007, 04:24:42 pm »

I'm guessing they probably rent them or sell them.  They definitely move a lot more air than a typical house fan.

Brina
Beachglass
Master Member

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 03, 2007, 12:49:49 am »

So Gram came home and it turns out the bathroom has been flooded many times before, which is apparently why the linoleum is not glued down.  It does mostly dry from below, and a little application of the hair dryer under the linoleum takes care of the top.  Roll Eyes  I'm going to replace it all anyway, and fix the washing machine hose so this doesn't happen any more.

Thanks for all of the suggestions; I was in such a panic, and it was so late here, I had no idea who else to ask.  I'll put up some pictures when the remodeling's done.  Smiley

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: October 03, 2007, 08:58:32 am »

So Gram came home and it turns out the bathroom has been flooded many times before, which is apparently why the linoleum is not glued down.

I'm glad it did not turn out to be quite the major disaster repair-wise it could have been.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: October 03, 2007, 10:07:44 am »

Thanks for all of the suggestions; I was in such a panic, and it was so late here, I had no idea who else to ask.  I'll put up some pictures when the remodeling's done.  Smiley

Good to know you're not in the dog house over this one. Smiley

Is there anyway of getting that washing machine down onto the first floor (or basement)? What you just went through is one of the main reasons to have a huge water making appliance down on a floor that's solid underneath. I'd be scared to death to have it on an upper floor.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Beachglass
Master Member

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 03, 2007, 12:33:40 pm »

Is there anyway of getting that washing machine down onto the first floor (or basement)?

Not really.  It's on the first floor now, and below is really more of a cellar than a basement.  The outflow pipe is at ceiling level down there, so I'm not sure you could even install the machine properly, plus I think it would make it a major pain for my grandmother to do her laundry.  Undecided She lives here by herself usually.

My plan is to attach the hose into the shower in such a way that it can be pulled out of the way, but not completely out, so if it's forgotten she just has a dirty shower and not a flood.  The machine itself is new and shouldn't flood for any other reason, I don't think.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)