The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 28, 2022, 02:35:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2022, 02:35:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Lines  (Read 6425 times)
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: September 29, 2007, 04:49:16 pm »

Tell me what lines have poked you in the eye, kicked you in the butt, or otherwise moved you.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: September 29, 2007, 05:00:23 pm »

Tell me what lines have poked you in the eye, kicked you in the butt, or otherwise moved you.

Quote from: Seabiscuit
Charles: "Will he get better?"

Tom: "Already is, a little."

C:  "Will he race?"

T:  "No.  Not that one."

C:  "So - why are you fixing him?"

T:  "'Cause I can.  Every horse is good for somethin'.    He could be a cart-horse, or a lead pony; he's still nice to look at.  You don't - you don't throw a whole life away just 'cause he's banged up a little."

Quote from: The Ghost and the Darkness
Charles: "When I was growin' up, there was a bully in my home town, he used to terrorize everybody; he wasn't the problem.  His older brother was worse than him, but he wasn't the problem either.  One or the other of them was always in jail.  Problem was when they were together.  Alone they were just bullies, but together...<whew>...they were lethal.  They were real killers."

John:  "What happened to them?"

Charles: "Well I got bigger."

Quote from: Spiderman II
"Everybody loves a hero.  People line up for them; cheer them; scream their names, and years later they'll tell how they stood in the rain for hours, just to get a glimpse at the one who taught them to hold on just a second longer.  I believe there's a hero in all of us; that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble.  And finally allows us to die with pride; even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most.  Even our dreams."

Quote from: The Court Jester
Hawkins: A jester unemployed is nobody's fool!

Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?
Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!
Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?
Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.
Hawkins: A flagon...?
Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.
Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.
Griselda: Right.
Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?
Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!
Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.
Griselda: Just remember that.

The next one doesn't translate well to text - imagine two superb actors that respect each other playing two emotionally scarred warriors in a confrontation:
Quote from: Courage Under Fire
Monfriez: "You don't want to know what happened out there, sir."

Serling: "Yes I do."

"You just want me to sign off on the story so you can finish your job and the lady can get her medal."

"Are you refusing to tell me, soldier?"

"Colonel, do you know what to do when you get a hangfire - when you pull the trigger and the round doesn't go off?"

"Yes, I do."

"You wait, with your weapon pointed in a safe direction, right?  Because sometimes the primer burns slow; you open your weapon to take the round out, it blows up in your face."  <pause>  "Leave this round in the chamber, Colonel."

<long pause>

Serling: "I work at the Pentagon, sergeant.  So I'll admit I'm a little slow on the uptake; otherwise I'd say you just threatened me.  Did you just threaten me, soldier?"

<Monfreiz looks>

"Because if you did, let me respond to you..." <shuts off tape recorder>  "...let me respond to you this way.  I'm an officer, and therefore by procolamation a gentleman.  But don't abuse that, son.  Don't get in my crosshairs because I'll have no compunction about gettin' up to my neck in your ass, do you understand me?"

"She was afraid, Colonel.  That's the bottom line on your Captian Walden, sir, she was a fucking coward."

Quote from: The Last Temptation of Christ
Judas: "Tell me your secret."

Jesus: "Pity."

"Pity for who - youself?"

"Pity for men."

"Our enemies are men."

"I feel pity for everything.  Donkeys, grasses, barrows..."

"What about ants?  You felt pity for them too?"

"Yes.  Everything's a part of God.  When I see an ant, when I look in his shiny black eye, you know what I see?  I see the face of God."

Judas (uncertain): "You're not afraid of dying?"

"Why should I be?  Death isn't a door that closes; it opens.  It opens and you go through it."

Judas (exhales): "If I don't kill you, what happens?"

"I'll speak to people."

"What are you going to say?"

"I'll just open my mouth and God will do the talking."

And finally, for something completely different:
Quote from: The Meaning of Life
CEO: Item six on the agenda; the Meaning of Life.  Now, uh, Harry, you've had some thoughts on this.

Harry:  Uh, yeah, that's right, I've had a team working on this for the past few weeks, and uh what we've come up with can be reduced to two fundamental concepts.  One: people are not wearing enough hats.  Two: matter is energy; in the Universe, there are many energy fields that we cannot normally percieve.  Some energies have a Spiritual source which act upon a person's Soul.  However, this Soul does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation.  However, this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from Spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

Board member:  What was that about hats, again?

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: September 29, 2007, 06:30:52 pm »

Since I am a Tolkien geek... here's my favourite from The Two Towers (and definitely ranking in the top of all three movies)

Frodo: I can’t do this, Sam.

Sam: I know… by rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But, in the end, it’s only a passing thing… a shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you; that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folks in those stories had lots of chances to turn back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?

Sam: That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.

*sigh* Yes, that did have me in tears.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 06:32:47 pm by Finn, Reason: fixing quote » Logged

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: September 29, 2007, 06:42:38 pm »

Any of the lines in The Addams Family movies (especially the one in my sig).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: September 29, 2007, 08:38:21 pm »

Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?

Sam: That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.

It is worth fighting for; though the struggle appears differently to each.

And the struggle goes on and on - this is the fundamental meaning of jihad, to fight for our own truth every day.

Getting up to go to work, making dinner, cleaning the house - they are all jihad, they are all our struggle.

And now I'm preaching.  I apologize.

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: September 29, 2007, 08:43:57 pm »

I've been giggling at that one for weeks, if not months. Smiley

Adele
Master Member
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:27:54 pm

Religion: Hellenic pagan

Image courtesy of iconomicon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: September 30, 2007, 12:14:25 am »

Since I am a Tolkien geek... here's my favourite from The Two Towers (and definitely ranking in the top of all three movies)

Ah, well another Tolkien geek here.

Frodo: It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance.
Gandalf: Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many.

and

Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.

The both of them just gave me goosebumps when I heard them. 

"Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate."
       -John M. Ford, Making Light comment
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: September 30, 2007, 07:50:36 am »

Ah, well another Tolkien geek here.

<snip>

The both of them just gave me goosebumps when I heard them. 

That's why Ian gets the big bucks. Wink

(Both of those are in my files, too.)

Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: September 30, 2007, 09:16:54 am »

Priceless!  Cheesy

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 01, 2007, 06:12:18 pm »

Well, that bit from the Court Jester that you quoted would be one!

Another would be the entire script of the Lion in Winter, but especially:

Prince John: Poor John. Who says poor John? Don't everybody sob at once! My God, if I went up in flames there's not a living soul who'd pee on me to put the fire out!
Prince Richard: Let's strike a flint and see.

and
Henry II: I'm villifying you for God's sake - pay attention!
and
Eleanor: What would you have me do? Give out? Give up? Give in?
Henry II: Give me a little peace.
Eleanor: A little? Why so modest? How about eternal peace? Now there's a thought.
and
Prince Richard: I never heard a corpse complain of how it got so cold.
and
Prince Richard: [the sons - in the dungeon - think they hear Henry approach] He's here. He'll get no satisfaction out of me. He isn't going to see me beg.
Prince Geoffrey: My you chivalric fool... as if the way one fell down mattered.
Prince Richard: When the fall is all there is, it matters.

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 01, 2007, 11:19:17 pm »

Another would be the entire script of the Lion in Winter, but especially:

I did an entire thread on The Lion in Winter.

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=2050.0

Your comments would be very welcome there.  It would appear we have an especially small group of admirers of that film.

And with good reason.

juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 02, 2007, 01:02:50 am »

Okay, I make pins for faire and a few of my favorites:

Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!

What doesn't kill you -  really hurts! (make for a friend who was recovering from a car crash)

A team effort is a lot of people doing what I say (made for the Queen)

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time - M.P. Holy Grail (everyone who reads this one out loud always uses a very bad French accent)

Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

And for Pirate fans:

Shiver me Liver!

It's a Pirate's wife for me!

Runs with Swords

Fights Well with Others

Remember, pillage then burn

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 02, 2007, 07:31:00 am »

Remember, pillage then burn

Cheesy

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 19, 2007, 10:00:07 am »

Kiki's delivery service

Kiki: Without even thinking about it, I used to be able to fly. Now I'm trying to look inside myself and find out how I did it

Howl's moving castle
Sophie:  A heart is a heavy burden.

just about anything Howl said moved me, Christian Bale can read me anything he wants so long as he uses Howl's voice.  Mmmm

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 19, 2007, 12:02:35 pm »

From that wonderfully cheesy nighttime soap of the 70s, Falcon Crest (yes, Falcon Crest): The show's smart, uber-scheming anti-hero, Richard Channing (played by the inimitable David Selby, who as a much younger man stole hearts as Quentin Collins on Dark Shadows), walks in on a young stud apparently making a move on his wife.

Young stud: Mr. Channing, it's not what you think!

Channing (matter-of-factly): Your mind is incapable of grasping what I think.

And from I, Claudius, almost any line from Livia, played to perfection by Sian Phillips, but in particular this one:

(Addressing gladiators before their match)
"These games are being degraded by the increasing use of professional tricks to stay alive...and I won't have it!"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)