The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 22, 2021, 07:35:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2021, 07:35:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with the Joe Campbell Monomyth?  (Read 27181 times)
Widsith
Apprentice
Last Login:October 12, 2007, 09:22:41 am
United States United States

Religion: agnostic

it is not what it is--it is what it is not

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 02, 2007, 08:51:34 am »

Hi, everybody--

I've been scratching my head over some observations I've read here regarding problems with the J.Campbell "monomyth" theory.  This idea has entered popular culture (especially where people are concerned with mythology) but it seems to have some major flaws.

My question is--what is wrong with the monomyth theory? (Not contesting here, just seeking information.)

Catja9 in particular had some very intriguing things to say regarding this and I'd like to hear more; of course anyone else who knows more about it is welcome to help lighten my ignorance around the subject.

Any additional reading regarding this you could direct me to would also be welcome.

Thanks

Widsith
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 09:10:07 am by RandallS, Reason: Subject Changed Slightly » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Widsith
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 02, 2007, 09:17:44 am »

Just wanted to add minor correction--That's Catja6, not 9. Apologies.

Thanks for the edit, Randall.

Widsith

Hi, everybody--

I've been scratching my head over some observations I've read here regarding problems with the J.Campbell "monomyth" theory.  This idea has entered popular culture (especially where people are concerned with mythology) but it seems to have some major flaws.

My question is--what is wrong with the monomyth theory? (Not contesting here, just seeking information.)

Catja9 in particular had some very intriguing things to say regarding this and I'd like to hear more; of course anyone else who knows more about it is welcome to help lighten my ignorance around the subject.

Any additional reading regarding this you could direct me to would also be welcome.

Thanks

Widsith
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: October 02, 2007, 09:29:37 am »

Hi, everybody--

Widsth,

For those of us who are hard polytheists, some of Campbell's conclusions just don't work. If you have a framework where deities are viewed in the Jungian archetypical manner it works better.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 02, 2007, 10:44:03 am »

The main problem - other that the issue Lyric mentions - is idea of a European telling the rest of the world that they're basically following the European myth cycle.  And getting it wrong.

No one wants to be told what they "really" believe.

Plus there is a great diversity in world mythology that Campbell (who I have a huge amount of affection for, btw) basically ignores when it doesn't fit his theory.

You mentioned Catja - she has studied folklore at the post graduate level and might be a good source for further reading recommendations if she's available.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:46:04 am by Thorn, Reason: Hit post too soon » Logged
sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: October 02, 2007, 11:42:22 am »

Hi, everybody--

Here's a brief paper that summarizes his problems:
http://www.cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/notebooks/joseph-campbell.html

Here's a book I haven't read yet, but is on my list: Manganaro: Myth, Rhetoric, and the Voice of Authority: A Critique of Frazer, Frye, and Campbell, 1992, Yale University Press

Although the monomyth has greatly influenced Western popular culture, especially cinema (e.g., Star Wars), Campbell's interpretations and methodologies were extremely flawed. Part of the problem is that myths (and legends and fairytales) usually don't have just one form. All of the variations are equally as important, and constructing a metanarrative from them automatically invalidates any attempt to retain the context from which they were taken.

Campbell was very married to his vision of the monomyth, so he disregarded variations that contradicted it and twisted others to fit it.

Catja can speak much better about the disciplines of literature and folklore, but I can say that the discipline of history has moved well beyond the metanarrative way of explaining things.

Sasha
Widsith
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 02, 2007, 12:24:10 pm »

Reply to all--

Thanks very much--this is what I want to know more about! Seeing as JC's bundle 'o' memes has entered the popular culture and replicated via movie plots (Star Wars, Matrix, etc.) and has had some influence on religion, it's important to understand the limits of its usefulness.

BTW--I found an interesting article on the influence of Freud, Jung, and Campbell on the analysis of folklore and mythology which discusses this issue (among others).

(I tried to post the url, but I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong Embarrassed I'll post it when I've figured it out Smiley It's on a blog called foamycustard by Bob Trubshaw.

I'll respond at greater length (and hopefully more coherently) later after I've had more chance to gnaw through more data.

Widsith

Here's a brief paper that summarizes his problems:
http://www.cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/notebooks/joseph-campbell.html

Here's a book I haven't read yet, but is on my list: Manganaro: Myth, Rhetoric, and the Voice of Authority: A Critique of Frazer, Frye, and Campbell, 1992, Yale University Press

Although the monomyth has greatly influenced Western popular culture, especially cinema (e.g., Star Wars), Campbell's interpretations and methodologies were extremely flawed. Part of the problem is that myths (and legends and fairytales) usually don't have just one form. All of the variations are equally as important, and constructing a metanarrative from them automatically invalidates any attempt to retain the context from which they were taken.

Campbell was very married to his vision of the monomyth, so he disregarded variations that contradicted it and twisted others to fit it.

Catja can speak much better about the disciplines of literature and folklore, but I can say that the discipline of history has moved well beyond the metanarrative way of explaining things.

Sasha
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: October 02, 2007, 02:12:19 pm »

Hi, everybody--

Thanks

Widsith

Sasha summed it up very well.  For some more information, I suggest you check out the Foamy Custard page, one of the best and most readable (in terms of writing, not color scheme -- the orange background is painful) myth/folklore sites on the web:

http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/foamycustard/index.htm

The article "On Overview of Mythological Theory," at FC, quotes Manganaro (the book recommended by Sasha) on Campbell:

[Campbell is] guilty of freeze-dried reductionism, logocentric oneness, arbitrary interpretation of facts chopped from context, evolutionary ritualism, and ethnocentric valorizing of Western power. His appeal is caused by his "comparativist rhetorical authority, in the genealogy traced from Frazer, that organised the myriad voices of comparative cultures into the one authorial chord". "Mythic occurrences... are detached from historical processes and become elementary semiotic entities, symbols to be read". "Campbell's 'synthetic' master-myth ignores cultural holism in the colossal authorial effort of fitting together a piecework universalism" – precisely part of the modernist "finding an answer to everything" project, but it deconstructs as "an ethnocentric valorization of Western power mechanisms."

Basically, Campbell is playing One True Story, and shoving a bunch of disparate stories into a Procrustean bed, a bed shaped by Christian narrative with some assists from the Greeks.  He rips stories out of their cultural context, and interprets them through a very Western, very Christian lens, and insists he's got the True Reading.  He claims that his "monomyth" is universal, despite the fact that it's both anthropomorphic and male centered, which many, many myths are not.  His scholarly approach is so problematic as to be worse then useless.

Campbell is popular because he tells Westerners raised in a Christian-dominant society that all myths are essentially thwe same, and moreover, they all look like Christian stories -- which is very reassuring.  Campbellites get to pat themselves on the back for their tolerance, but the tolerance is based upon a huge misapprehension of other cultures' myths -- and, since the Campbell narrative reasserts the primacy of the Christian narrative, it isn't real tolerance at all.

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: October 02, 2007, 02:42:02 pm »

You might also want to check out these threads on the old board:

Starting at this post or so, several of us had a great discussion of Campbell:
http://www.ecauldron.net/mb/messages.php?webtag=TCMAIN&msg=1876.21

And here's a HUGE post I made about the problems with psychoanalytic approaches to myth/folklore in general:
http://www.ecauldron.net/mb/index.php?webtag=TCMAIN&msg=122.436

sashapablo
Board Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:January 19, 2012, 05:37:09 pm

Religion: Hellenic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: October 02, 2007, 04:10:34 pm »

Basically, Campbell is playing One True Story, and shoving a bunch of disparate stories into a Procrustean bed, a bed shaped by Christian narrative with some assists from the Greeks.  He rips stories out of their cultural context, and interprets them through a very Western, very Christian lens, and insists he's got the True Reading.  He claims that his "monomyth" is universal, despite the fact that it's both anthropomorphic and male centered, which many, many myths are not.  His scholarly approach is so problematic as to be worse then useless.

I think that whole One True Theory That Explains Everything is very appealing to a lot of people, too. Gives the universe purpose and all that jazz Smiley

One of my history profs relayed an interesting tidbit about Jared Diamond, author of Guns, Germs, and Steel. Basically Diamond was complaining that historians hadn't answered the question of why history unfolded the way it did, so he was setting out to understand the grand patterns of history. Historians realize that the answers are a lot more complicated and that metanarratives are fundamentally flawed. But Diamond still is a best-selling author Smiley

When asking the grand questions, the reductionist answers make nice, tidy theories that are easily digestable. But thinking there are simple answers to questions like that is a folly. The postmodernist would say that there is no answer, no truth with a capital "T." But there are more correct answers than others, and that's why I don't care for Campbell and the rest of the metanarrative bunch.

Sasha
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 02, 2007, 05:27:26 pm »

Historians realize that the answers are a lot more complicated and that metanarratives are fundamentally flawed. But Diamond still is a best-selling author Smiley

Yeah, him and Cahill drive me nuts.
joshuatenpenny
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2007, 08:09:28 pm

Religion: Asphodel, recon-derived eclectic paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 02, 2007, 07:02:23 pm »

One of my history profs relayed an interesting tidbit about Jared Diamond, author of Guns, Germs, and Steel.

I found the themes in that book entertaining, but his writing style irritates me. He sounds like a high school student taking a standardized test. I have never found another author where each chapter so perfectly mimicked the Proper Form of Essays as taught for the HSPTs and so forth.

-- Joshua

Widsith
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 02, 2007, 07:54:58 pm »

Hi, Katja,

Thanks, exactly what I was lookin for.  Matter of fact, I'd just found that foamycustard page before my last post, but for some reason (my computer-fu is weak Embarrassed) I couldn't get the link to work for me, but lo and behold, you have!

I agree, the ORANGE background is eye-searing, but the information is quite good. I expect to spend a lot of time reading there.

I'll read your threads, too.

Widsith

Sasha summed it up very well.  For some more information, I suggest you check out the Foamy Custard page, one of the best and most readable (in terms of writing, not color scheme -- the orange background is painful) myth/folklore sites on the web:

http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/foamycustard/index.htm

The article "On Overview of Mythological Theory," at FC, quotes Manganaro (the book recommended by Sasha) on Campbell:

[Campbell is] guilty of freeze-dried reductionism, logocentric oneness, arbitrary interpretation of facts chopped from context, evolutionary ritualism, and ethnocentric valorizing of Western power. His appeal is caused by his "comparativist rhetorical authority, in the genealogy traced from Frazer, that organised the myriad voices of comparative cultures into the one authorial chord". "Mythic occurrences... are detached from historical processes and become elementary semiotic entities, symbols to be read". "Campbell's 'synthetic' master-myth ignores cultural holism in the colossal authorial effort of fitting together a piecework universalism" – precisely part of the modernist "finding an answer to everything" project, but it deconstructs as "an ethnocentric valorization of Western power mechanisms."

Widsith
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 02, 2007, 07:58:36 pm »

Widsth,

For those of us who are hard polytheists,

Hi, LyricFox--

Please forgive my ignorance, but what's a "hard polytheist"?

Widsith
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 02, 2007, 08:04:37 pm »

Hi, LyricFox--

Please forgive my ignorance, but what's a "hard polytheist"?

Widsith

i'm not Lyric but... those who believe that each god is a separate entity with their own personality and agenda as opposed to an archetype and/or a facet/aspect of one god/goddess.

so the greek gods are separate and different from the roman ones or the celtic ones and they are not 'the same set of gods by other names'.

Widsith
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 02, 2007, 08:05:57 pm »

Jared Diamond, author of Guns, Germs, and Steel.

Hi, Sasha, what author(s) would you recommend as an alternative to JD?

Widsith

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)