The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 30, 2020, 12:17:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2020, 12:17:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Kitten-Mean, Old Cats  (Read 2534 times)
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 02, 2007, 02:41:57 pm »

Well I got my wish and we're keeping one of the bengal kittens. A russian blue tabby, named Smokey (formerly known as Ranger). He's been settling in rather well, running around and just having a great time in the a/c.

The problem is the other two monsters, Barnaby and Pantera (12lbs and 14lbs, respectively) are not agreeing with our little new comer. Barnaby is following and hissing, though not actually doing anything. And Pantera our resident princess, is hiding convinced my grandmother has brought forth the plauge of Eygpt.

Any advice, short of sitting on Barnaby's head and doping up Pantera? I could pen them in my room, or I could keep Smokey in there.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: October 02, 2007, 02:50:59 pm »

Any advice, short of sitting on Barnaby's head and doping up Pantera? I could pen them in my room, or I could keep Smokey in there.

Well, the first thing you need to do is separate the baby from the adults. I don't know how old he is or how much he weighs, but you don't want a baby having to fend for himself against two adults. When I brought in babies in the past, I generally had them in a separate room while they put on age/weight/size. In some cases, that was for several weeks just depending on the kitten.

If you can, try to separate them for several days and let them sniff at each other under the door. If you have a crate, putting the kitten in it and bringing him into a more neutral setting and letting one adult at a time sniff the crate may help. Also, you really want to introduce each adult separately in that neutral area. They're not going to be best buddies right off the bat (the kitten is encroaching on their territory), but I've had an adult female pin and try to rip open the stomach of a baby. You really don't want that.

In theory, if you've got a cat who is extremely bonded to you, that's going to be more difficult to overcome. I know when I had Gunner here, and I was totally and completely "his", and we brought Savoy in, there was a problem between the two initially whenever I got involved. They were better together alone. That took a week or two to work out, but keep it in mind because it can be a problem.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 02, 2007, 04:01:05 pm »

I've been dealing with this myself- my boyfriend and I recently got two kittens and he already had a cat that was very much in charge of the place.

As Lyric said, keep them separated. It's better if the adults can't even see the kitten at first. Let them smell a blanket the kitten sleeps on a lot. Later, let the adults see the kitten but not be able to get to him (we used a plexi-glass divider, but a pet/baby gate would work too). Introduce them very slowly- I generally put food down for all the animals a good distance apart, so they know they're still getting as much food as they used to and the kitten isn't going to eat it all on them. Any interaction at first really should be supervised, and treats and toys are good to keep them distracted and happy.

All in all, be patient. When my mom brought home kittens after one of my cats died, the surviving cat took several months to decide the kittens weren't evil. It's not going to happen overnight, and hissing is normal. Good luck!

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 02, 2007, 04:40:40 pm »

I probably will keep him in my room at night, but I'm going to let him stay out while there's some one here to keep an eye on him.

Right now he's sleeping on my lap, frog-splash style...
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: October 02, 2007, 04:54:53 pm »

Aionia,

Something you need to remember is that the situation between him and your adults can change in a heartbeat. It can escalate to really ugly, really fast and its something that can effect his relationship with the other cat(s) forever. So be sure that if you're leaving the room, you take him with you.

Drunementon
Journeyman
Last Login:October 24, 2010, 01:17:36 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Moderate Celtic Recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 02, 2007, 06:07:17 pm »

I agree completely with Lyric's reminder that the kitten should not be left alone at all with the older cats.  It doesn't take much for a kitten to get badly hurt.  If a cat is going to scratch another cat, they often go for the eyes.  In a single adult swat of a kitten, you can end up with a serious, and potentially permanent eye injury. 

Don't leave them alone. 
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: October 02, 2007, 06:35:08 pm »

I agree completely with Lyric's reminder that the kitten should not be left alone at all with the older cats.  It doesn't take much for a kitten to get badly hurt.  If a cat is going to scratch another cat, they often go for the eyes.  In a single adult swat of a kitten, you can end up with a serious, and potentially permanent eye injury. 

Don't leave them alone. 

Personal story here...when I brought Gunner in, I had an older female cat who'd had at least two litters of kitten before I rescued her. She was what I laughingly called a referee over my litters of puppies (if they got too rough, she would literally get in the middle of them; she also got between my mother and my great aunt who had Alzheimer's one night...totally fearless girl). Great momma cat. She HATED Gunner. He must have been only 6-8 weeks when I brought him in and he spent several weeks camping out in a spare bedroom gaining weight and size.

At the time, I was really mostly worried about the dachshunds since I had seven then. One day I had them up and him out loose and Bernadette caught him in the bathroom. She pinned him on his back on the floor in the corner and went after him. I didn't think I'd get her off him without getting hurt.

Needless to say, Gunner hated her for the rest of his life. He wouldn't go out of his way to torment her, but he hated her and would take out after her if he was jsut a little bit pissy.

That experience is the main reason I wasn't interested in bringing a baby in here.

Drunementon
Journeyman
Last Login:October 24, 2010, 01:17:36 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Moderate Celtic Recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 03, 2007, 07:17:18 pm »

At the time, I was really mostly worried about the dachshunds since I had seven then. One day I had them up and him out loose and Bernadette caught him in the bathroom. She pinned him on his back on the floor in the corner and went after him. I didn't think I'd get her off him without getting hurt.

Needless to say, Gunner hated her for the rest of his life. He wouldn't go out of his way to torment her, but he hated her and would take out after her if he was jsut a little bit pissy.   That experience is the main reason I wasn't interested in bringing a baby in here.

Oh, no!  Poor Gunner! 

That only goes to show that caution is needed.  Every six months or so, we get someone on the cat forum who has had a kitten get a badly scratched cornea from an older-cat-kiiten melee...  and in one case, the kitten was blinded.  It just goes to show that care has to be taken...  adult/kitten fights do happen and the cards are stacked in favor of the adult.       
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: October 03, 2007, 07:40:46 pm »

Oh, no!  Poor Gunner! 

And you could have knocked me over with a feather because Bernadette was the ultimate momma cat. But not that time.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)