The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 11, 2019, 06:11:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:11:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Opinion of Ellen Dugan?  (Read 7078 times)
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 03, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »

What is everyoneís opinion of Ellen Dugan? Good, bad, so-so? Iíve never read one of her books but Iíve heard the name. Sheís coming to my area to speak this month and next month and Iím wondering if I should make the effort to attend the lecture because itís on a weeknight and I hate going out on a weeknight. Any opinion you have or if youíve already met her would be great.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 04, 2007, 07:13:36 am »

What is everyoneís opinion of Ellen Dugan? Good, bad, so-so? Iíve never read one of her books but Iíve heard the name. Sheís coming to my area to speak this month and next month and Iím wondering if I should make the effort to attend the lecture because itís on a weeknight and I hate going out on a weeknight. Any opinion you have or if youíve already met her would be great.

I have not personally read any of her books, but I have heard good things about them. From what I understand she is a master gardener, so if she is speaking on gardening or herbs, I know I would go! Her Cottage Witchery book has been highly recommened to me, I just haven't got around to reading it yet.

If you do go, let us know how it went!
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 04, 2007, 08:42:28 am »

What is everyoneís opinion of Ellen Dugan?

To be honest this is the first I've heard of her. Based on Nile_Lily's info I took a look at the book reviews and found a review for Garden Witchery: Magick From The Ground Up.  It's one of the longer reviews so maybe that'll help some.   Oh, I just realized there's a second review here too. 

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Reona
Master Member

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 04, 2007, 10:19:05 am »

I have not personally read any of her books, but I have heard good things about them. From what I understand she is a master gardener, so if she is speaking on gardening or herbs, I know I would go! Her Cottage Witchery book has been highly recommened to me, I just haven't got around to reading it yet.

Itís a lecture on Samhain actually. Sheís doing another one on Yule in November. I think Iíll sign up for both when I drive down to Pathways on Saturday. Iím just looking for ways to connect with the community and it sounds interesting. Geez, Iím gonna have to buy a date book at this rate. There is the meet-up at the Barnes & Noble in Kirkwood this Sunday and then the Pagan Beliefs Discussions next Wednesday and Saturday. Then I have that pendulum class on October 17 and then the Samhain lecture the following Tuesday the 23rd. And then there is Samhain itself and I still need to figure out what Iím going to do for that. Iíve never needed a date book before...  Tongue

Korellyn
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 27, 2009, 09:31:06 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan seeking something more specific.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 04, 2007, 01:59:10 pm »

Geez, Iím gonna have to buy a date book at this rate.

There are worse fates.  After all you could live somewhere where there's not enough pagan events to necessitate a date book.   Grin

As for Ellen Dugan, I have no personal experience with her work, but one of my friends recently acquired her Cottage Witchery and loves it.  She describes it as very earthy and practical.  Very little high ceremony or waving about of arms/wands/etc.

-K
Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 04, 2007, 03:34:31 pm »

Geez, Iím gonna have to buy a date book at this rate.

Look at it this way: you now have a great reason to obtain a PDA.  It's a datebook and spellbook all in the palm of your hand... Wink

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 04, 2007, 06:13:22 pm »

There are worse fates.  After all you could live somewhere where there's not enough pagan events to necessitate a date book.   Grin

I have the worse fate.....I would have to drive over an hour to attend anything remotely pagan. Sad
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 05, 2007, 01:50:01 am »

I have the worse fate.....I would have to drive over an hour to attend anything remotely pagan. Sad

6 1/2 hours over here. Sad

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 05, 2007, 01:50:43 am »

I personally think she's awesome. Like others said -- very earthy and practical, and doesn't take herself too seriously.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
a_dream_painter
Last Login:October 09, 2007, 09:16:04 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 05, 2007, 02:04:29 am »

I have read two of her books and found them both to be absolutely wonderful!  Her down-to-earth writing style and easy to follow instructions along the her antidotes make her books an joy to read and own.  I envy you the chance to hear her speak!
~adp~
Oaksworn
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 05, 2007, 11:38:08 am »

Her down-to-earth writing style and easy to follow instructions along the her antidotes make her books an joy to read and own. 

(bolding mine)

a_dream_painter, just to clarify since I haven't read any of Ellen Dugan's material, does she actually provide antidotes, as in neutralizing a poison, in her books or did you mean anecdotes, as in short personal stories?  I can see either one being listed but anecdotes makes more sense in this context.

Reona
Master Member

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 08, 2007, 03:39:35 pm »

6 1/2 hours over here. Sad

I have to drive 40 minutes to reach Pathways off of Tesson Ferry and make 5 turns to reach the building. I get lost in a paper bag. But, it is an....acceptable distance to get a life.

The Pathways store is a wonderful place and I signed up for the Ellen Dugan lecture while I was there. Iím going back this Wednesday for the discussion on ďPagan BeliefsĒ. I also met a member of The Grey School last night at the Meet-up. [pets her new life]

Lyon
Apprentice
Last Login:May 21, 2008, 06:24:37 am

Religion: Humanist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 10, 2007, 11:31:25 pm »

I have to drive 40 minutes to reach Pathways off of Tesson Ferry and make 5 turns to reach the building. I get lost in a paper bag. But, it is an....acceptable distance to get a life.

The Pathways store is a wonderful place and I signed up for the Ellen Dugan lecture while I was there. Iím going back this Wednesday for the discussion on ďPagan BeliefsĒ. I also met a member of The Grey School last night at the Meet-up. [pets her new life]

Hey! Your in my neck of the woods. I rarely get up to Pathways though. I am just too busy to have much me time these days.

Ellen Dugan is a Missouri native, so she appears in the area often. I haven't read any of her books but I have met her. She is a very sweet and caring woman. Very down to earth. She is also knowledgable on her chosen topics. I'd say you won't be disappinted to hear her speak.

Pagan kids books - Magical Child BooksAn Ordinary Girl, A Magical Child & Aidan's First Full Moon Circle. Both in hard cover and full color.
Reona
Master Member

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 11, 2007, 03:41:59 pm »

Hey! Your in my neck of the woods. I rarely get up to Pathways though. I am just too busy to have much me time these days.

Hey neighbor. I really live down in Saint Peters on Mid-River Mall Road, if you know where that is. The beginning of this month was when I firmed my decision to make some major changes in my life and, well, get a life. Thus braving the highways in my tiny Metro. I hate driving on the highway and canít wait to get a bigger car next month. Any chance Iíll see you at a Meet-up or one of the Pathways events in the near future?

dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 23, 2007, 10:15:33 pm »

What is everyoneís opinion of Ellen Dugan? Good, bad, so-so?

I have Garden Witchery and Cottage Witchery and have read both. I highly enjoyed them... lots of practical tips, rather than a bunch of theory and "Wicca 101".

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)