The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 16, 2021, 08:05:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2021, 08:05:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Short: October  (Read 8831 times)
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 07, 2007, 04:53:18 pm »

Ya forgot green....the color of the dude's uniform.  Wink

I forget a lot of things...  Grin 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: October 07, 2007, 08:45:11 pm »

I forget a lot of things...  Grin 

And the rosy hue of the sunset.

Funny how the details fill themselves in, isn't it?

You already knew the water on the lake was calm.

The wheelchair was chrome.

She was wearing a coat.

The mini-van was out of sight.

The man operating the jon-boat had a beard.

In writing parlance it's called "imagery."  I haven't the faintest freaking idea how I do it, but it's there. Cheesy

Something that everyone missed - as well as I for the longest time - Margaret railed against the corporations for leaving her husband to die, yet in the end, she was about to do the same thing.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #17: October 07, 2007, 09:45:32 pm »

Something that everyone missed - as well as I for the longest time - Margaret railed against the corporations for leaving her husband to die, yet in the end, she was about to do the same thing.

I didn't miss it... so much of Margaret's world touched on some sore spots and a couple of downright open wounds.  I noticed it because I've seen friends go through those emotions. It happens when hope is lost.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 05, 2021, 02:13:46 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: October 07, 2007, 10:02:12 pm »

Could you (collective you) "see" the autumn colors?
Not really, but I could smell damp autumn leaves.

Funny how the details fill themselves in, isn't it?
<snip>
In writing parlance it's called "imagery."  I haven't the faintest freaking idea how I do it, but it's there. Cheesy
It is indeed there.  That's an important part of why I'm so much of a fan of your writing - the words you use shape the spaces between them, and what's in those spaces becomes clear and accessible.  You say a great deal, without actually saying it.  There are some otherwise darn fine wordsmiths who don't have the gift of making what's between the lines so readily perceptible.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: October 07, 2007, 11:07:42 pm »

I didn't miss it... so much of Margaret's world touched on some sore spots and a couple of downright open wounds.  I noticed it because I've seen friends go through those emotions. It happens when hope is lost.

Good for you for catching that.  I didn't for years, but I haven't had the experience.

Makes me wonder where I get my ideas...

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 07, 2007, 11:15:47 pm »

Not really, but I could smell damp autumn leaves.

Now that is fascinating!

It is indeed there.  That's an important part of why I'm so much of a fan of your writing - the words you use shape the spaces between them, and what's in those spaces becomes clear and accessible.  You say a great deal, without actually saying it.  There are some otherwise darn fine wordsmiths who don't have the gift of making what's between the lines so readily perceptible.

Not saying it is the point.

I think.

If only my novel has this appeal; the azaleas, the clouds, the finches.

Surrounding my characters with a world of green spaces and forests, Moonlight and old oak.

What does Oberon look like? Cheesy I haven't the faintest idea, and so that image will be weak.

But the rest will plod along.

Unlike October, which was rather well imagined.

Thanks for the nudge.

WH

Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: October 08, 2007, 09:51:22 am »

Interesting - they aren't mentioned.  Thanks for falling into my trap. Wink

A brain trick eh? hmmm what did you write that brought to mind the fall colours.
Aside from the title.. what stands out is, "It was a beautiful fall day." Actually you used Autumn through your story, which seems more discrip. Also something like.. " not many warm days left" led me to think frost is close so the trees would be in full colour.

When I look out my window the hills are varying colours. *I live on one of the higher drumlands.*

I will admit, it was also because you asked. It seemed important to you. So when I gave it some thought and looked out my windows, you made me see the colours.
Red was the last colour I saw in my mind. Even though a Ranger is not the same as what I see as a Mounty. I remembered the green uniform, but at the very end he was called a Mounty.
My grandfather was one. Horse and red uniform. (Canadian) Seems more of an association coupled with the red Sugar Maple Trees in full colour right now.

I remember the Ghost Ranger had icy blue eyes. An easy memory, my father has these types of eyes.
The white horse with blue eyes, but I saw them as dark blue. The woman had made comment that horses had brown. Another brain association... thing?

Energy Follows Attention
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: October 08, 2007, 12:55:14 pm »

A brain trick eh? hmmm what did you write that brought to mind the fall colours.
Aside from the title.. what stands out is, "It was a beautiful fall day." Actually you used Autumn through your story, which seems more discrip. Also something like.. " not many warm days left" led me to think frost is close so the trees would be in full colour.

When I look out my window the hills are varying colours. *I live on one of the higher drumlands.*

I will admit, it was also because you asked. It seemed important to you. So when I gave it some thought and looked out my windows, you made me see the colours.
Red was the last colour I saw in my mind. Even though a Ranger is not the same as what I see as a Mounty. I remembered the green uniform, but at the very end he was called a Mounty.
My grandfather was one. Horse and red uniform. (Canadian) Seems more of an association coupled with the red Sugar Maple Trees in full colour right now.

I remember the Ghost Ranger had icy blue eyes. An easy memory, my father has these types of eyes.
The white horse with blue eyes, but I saw them as dark blue. The woman had made comment that horses had brown. Another brain association... thing?

First, I love your sig line.  *snort*

I had to look up "drumlands."  West Nova?

My paternal grandfather (who died long before I was born) had those icy blue eyes, even in black and white pictures.

How cool that your grandfather was a genuine Mounty.  I got to sit in at an RCMP colloquium at the Kentucky Horse Park in 1993, and was quite impressed.  As for your point, Ranger would have been correct, but I was referencing the media. Wink

Blue eyes in horses are fairly rare, and subject to uvitis.  My reason for choosing a white horse with blue eyes evades me; perhaps it was random.

Cheers,
WH

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: October 08, 2007, 02:08:56 pm »

Blue eyes in horses are fairly rare, and subject to uvitis. 

How common are horses with one blue eye and one brown eye?

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 05, 2021, 02:13:46 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: October 08, 2007, 05:47:32 pm »

As for your point, Ranger would have been correct, but I was referencing the media. Wink
Which is why I didn't call you on the spelling.  An RCMP officer is a Mountie; another mounted officer (especially in a different country) could well be a Mounty for all I know.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: October 08, 2007, 08:37:25 pm »

How common are horses with one blue eye and one brown eye?

QUITE rare, but I have seen them.  Scary, to be frank.

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: October 08, 2007, 08:38:32 pm »

Which is why I didn't call you on the spelling.  An RCMP officer is a Mountie; another mounted officer (especially in a different country) could well be a Mounty for all I know.

Sunflower

To quote Bender: "Bite my shiny metal ass!" Cheesy

ShadowcatCM
Adept Member
Last Login:July 16, 2009, 05:14:58 pm

Religion: witchy Pagan - quite eclectic

Every action, even inaction, affects someone.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: October 08, 2007, 09:19:08 pm »

Thank you!  I cannot really tell you the inspiration for that one.  It's an example of one of those stories that is "already there."

*nods* I've heard of that, though not experienced it myself.

It's really good, WH. Smiley

Shadowcat

Shadowcat Cloudmoon
Chat Host at The Cauldron
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: October 08, 2007, 09:28:49 pm »

QUITE rare, but I have seen them.  Scary, to be frank.

Just wondered because I saw one like that at the Central Washington State Fair on Friday.

So how come they're scary?

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: October 09, 2007, 10:22:18 pm »

First, I love your sig line.  *snort*
I had to look up "drumlands."  West Nova?
My paternal grandfather (who died long before I was born) had those icy blue eyes, even in black and white pictures.
How cool that your grandfather was a genuine Mounty. 
Blue eyes in horses are fairly rare, and subject to uvitis.  My reason for choosing a white horse with blue eyes evades me; perhaps it was random.

*grins* the sig line. *laughs* a teen walked by my counter at work. He was all dressed in black, with nails to match. His hair standing straight on end. As he walked by he noticed I was reading his T-shirts. I burst out laughing. He grins as he walks by all cool with his head bobbing and hair going to.

West Nova? not sure what that is. From North shore of Lake Ontario, you have the bluffs, than the sand hills going up, than the drumlands. *round rolling hills*  Lots of large boulders around and gravel pits.

ya, those icy blue eyes.. make ya stare into them.
My grandfather was cool. Sitting proud on his big chestnut horse.
*the white horse also stood out in my mind cause of this difference*

Energy Follows Attention

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)