The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 07, 2020, 10:17:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 07, 2020, 10:17:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Chanting  (Read 10123 times)
NightPhoenix
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 30, 2008, 10:28:13 am
United States United States

Religion: Christian (Eastern Orthodox)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: October 12, 2007, 06:20:14 pm »

Well I'm not pagan, but in Greek Orthodoxy we have several different ways of chanting. One way is to chant to a particular melody either a common melody which can be used for many texts, or in some cases texts which have a totally unique melody only applied to that particular hymn.

Here's an example of melodic chanting to a very unique melody:

http://www.musicale.gr/_repository/ymnoi/sounds/19.wma

The second main type is simply intonation or ekphonetic chanting. This is the "simplest" in the sense a person can learn to do it pretty quickly. For people who aren't cantors or who aren't learning the art but simply want to chant at home, this is the best way of being able to do that pretty quickly. (within a few hours)

However like all Byzantine chanting, there is a true "art" to it when the real master cantors do it like this priest: (btw most priests are not cantors, finding a priest who can chant well is pretty rare these days)

http://www.analogion.com/Euangelion-Anastasews-Fr-Christos-Kyriakopoulos-CD-ELBYX_low.mp3

There are a couple of other styles, one sort of fitting in between these two styles, sometimes called "Chyma"...its chanting freely, but not too freely. Kind of hard to explain, and you'd have to hear it to get what I mean. Here's a live recording:

http://www.cmkon.net/music/NPsalmos_Patr_Choirs.rm

We have a whole host of melodies from sad, to slow, to happy and fast, to everything in between. Different hymns, or times of year call for different chants. And while our liturgies call for specific hymns at specific times, there is also a great sense of freedom when it comes to chanting in private prayer, meditation, or worship. Even in services, when I was first learning, it wasn't unusual to simply make up a melody to a text simply because I didn't know it, or didn't have the notation for it. (we don't use western staff notes, but a notation called "psaltic", and learning that is an enterprise unto itself)

Of course learning by ear is the best way to learn all the most popular hymns, such is this one:

http://graeca.canto.ru/upload/MontrealPsaltiki/Zoe_RomanosOMelodos/RM_Anastasis_003_ChristoAnesti.mp3

Sorry for them all being in Greek, but there isn't much good english chanting available on the net.

In the end, it's about chanting in a way that makes the text come alive for you. While each melody has a different "flavor" that matches what each hymn or text is talking about, its perfectly fine privately to chant in whatever way works for you.

Remember this is from an Eastern Orthodox POV, not a pagan one, but I think we have alot of things in common!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: October 12, 2007, 06:52:47 pm »

Remember this is from an Eastern Orthodox POV, not a pagan one, but I think we have alot of things in common!

It's still really interesting. (and I agree, we do have a lot in common.) I'm glad there's another Christian on this board. You guys are really under-represented.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: October 12, 2007, 09:36:38 pm »

However like all Byzantine chanting, there is a true "art" to it when the real master cantors do it like this priest: (btw most priests are not cantors, finding a priest who can chant well is pretty rare these days)

http://www.analogion.com/Euangelion-Anastasews-Fr-Christos-Kyriakopoulos-CD-ELBYX_low.mp3

Wow! That was very impressive.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Maggie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 12, 2012, 04:18:49 pm

Religion: ADF Style Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: October 13, 2007, 10:36:26 am »

I have an idea. What if I take my most favorite (and singable) melodies and put words to them? My skill as a composer isn't great enough to get the what I want on paper, but those few melodies are close enough to be really effective. Has anyone else done this?

I was thinking along this line also.  However, I was wondering if there wer some kind of musical copyright thing if they were to be used in a public ritual.  It probably wouldn't be a problem for old traditional tunes but more modern songs maybe?  Does anyone know about this?

Maggie

"Few things are needful to make the wise man happy, but nothing satisfies the fool---and this is the reason why so many of mankind are miserable."                 
                                                       LaRochefoucauld
NightPhoenix
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: October 13, 2007, 12:04:11 pm »

It's still really interesting. (and I agree, we do have a lot in common.) I'm glad there's another Christian on this board. You guys are really under-represented.

Thanks, I'm glad to be here! Seems like a great community!
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #35: October 13, 2007, 12:58:51 pm »

I was thinking along this line also.  However, I was wondering if there wer some kind of musical copyright thing if they were to be used in a public ritual.  It probably wouldn't be a problem for old traditional tunes but more modern songs maybe?  Does anyone know about this?

It's a good idea to assume that anything written since about 1923 is probably copyrighted. There are some exceptions, but that's the safest bet.

It gets a little trickier in terms of Pagan chants (i.e. stuff people within the broader Pagan community have written for use in ritual.) Many people have deliberately shared them, wanting them to be used (or being aware that once they're used within a community, they might well spread.) There's also a fair bit of mislabelling in a few cases, on who actually wrote what. I'd be wary of re-using tunes: some of the tunes come from folk song resources (i.e. pre-1900s), but not all do.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: October 13, 2007, 10:17:50 pm »

Well I'm not pagan, but in Greek Orthodoxy we have several different ways of chanting.

* snip *

Thank you so much for that post! Byzantine chant is just amazing.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
NightPhoenix
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: October 14, 2007, 03:46:04 pm »

Thank you so much for that post! Byzantine chant is just amazing.

You're welcome! And I agree whole heartedly! Smiley
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: October 16, 2007, 01:29:24 pm »

As a musician who's now down both Catholic and Pagan musical settings, I'd also feel really uncomfortable with someone taking music I wrote specifically for one religious community, and turning it to another.

I feel the same about classic Christian Hymns. What particularly bothers me about the chants I have heard that are Christian with Goddess names inserted where "Jesus" or "The Lord" would be is religious more than anything else. My personal theology is very, very different from a Christian POV. My worldview is not Christian with a God - in - Drag. It is fundamentally different and therefore such Goddessized Christian hymns, as lovely as they are, feel fundamentally wrong for me. A personal thing, I agree.
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: October 24, 2007, 01:40:42 pm »

I feel the same about classic Christian Hymns. What particularly bothers me about the chants I have heard that are Christian with Goddess names inserted where "Jesus" or "The Lord" would be is religious more than anything else. My personal theology is very, very different from a Christian POV. My worldview is not Christian with a God - in - Drag. It is fundamentally different and therefore such Goddessized Christian hymns, as lovely as they are, feel fundamentally wrong for me. A personal thing, I agree.

"Christian God in Drag"? Fabulous, mind if I borrow it?

I agree...I think it makes people more comfortable to substitute the names, but really they are kidding themselves...

*Síocháin*
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: October 24, 2007, 03:51:07 pm »

"Christian God in Drag"? Fabulous, mind if I borrow it?

Oh, not at all. I just wrote it but I cannot believe it's the first time the comparison has been made.  Smiley
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #41: October 24, 2007, 03:52:50 pm »

Oh, not at all. I just wrote it but I cannot believe it's the first time the comparison has been made.  Smiley

I don't think it is; I'm sure I've seen the phrase used before.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
southerngoddes
Journeyman
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 09:08:41 am
Argentina Argentina

Religion: none

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: October 24, 2007, 04:50:06 pm »

Christian here2!!! im officially christian, but i practice shamanism and paganism, I had an "nonreligious" marriage, and  and neither I have a christian view of the world. I got some budist practics too, and  until now everything works perfectly Cheesy
Julea
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 05, 2009, 11:24:16 pm

Religion: none of the above

taffy junkie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: October 27, 2007, 08:30:54 pm »

Damn I wish I had a mic, I'd record some of mine for you.

I've been told you can stick a pair of headphones in the mic port on your computer and use them for a mic, but I've never tried it myself.  Roll Eyes

Holy short attention span, Batman!
PNorwood
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2008, 09:30:17 am

Religion: Pagan

carrying magick into the new mellenium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: October 29, 2007, 10:47:41 am »

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you chant something? Do you randomly make up a stepwise, flowing melody, or do you sing mostly in a monotone?
nothing stupid about the question. I just sort of let it flow, or I start chanting in Oneida or other Native American Chants I've learned over the years. I don't do monotone anything so for me its just a matter of starting to chant, it will go where it wills. The hypnotic effect of chanting is sort of a bonus because chanting tends to get you in a half trance state, just like playing in a drumming circle does. I wrote a couple  of chants a few years ago for my circle, words spoken in a singsong for power raising and they are very powerful though simple chants. You might try something like that. think about a sentence that rhymes and says what you want then keep repeating it to build the power associated with it. don't worry about monotone- if it wants to go there it will. main thing is just to relax
White Raven

healing, light and peace
White Raven

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)