The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 20, 2017, 03:29:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 03:29:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hekate and Revelation  (Read 4646 times)
Theres
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2015, 03:24:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 08, 2007, 09:41:25 pm »

i found this article while Googling my favorite topic, and thought i'd share it here.
i find it fascinating and very well researched...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0LAL/is_4_33/ai_111734474/pg_1
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 09:43:50 pm by Theres » Logged

"Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed!"
~ Monty Python

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 08, 2007, 09:57:38 pm »

i found this article while Googling my favorite topic, and thought i'd share it here.

Thanks!

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 08, 2007, 10:04:23 pm »

It is an interesting interpretation.  But what biblical scholars believe about ancient pagan pratices has little direct bearing on those of us h
who follow the Gree deities, either indivually as recons.
Theres
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 08, 2007, 10:37:51 pm »

It is an interesting interpretation.  But what biblical scholars believe about ancient pagan pratices has little direct bearing on those of us h
who follow the Gree deities, either indivually as recons.
on the contrary, i find well researched, well presented and unbiased data invaluable whatever the source.

in fact i was thinking as i was reading this article how ironic it was that a biblical scholar has presented a better view of Hekate's role (within the pervue of the article) than most neoPagan authors i have read!
he writes about an interesting subject from an objective point of view and sites his sources (which are often  ancient Pagans) profusely, what more could one want?

in any case, this follower of the Greek deities found this to be a very useful resource.

~ Monty Python
Zerynthia
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 19, 2010, 12:51:15 pm

Religion: Pagan

Sapere Aude, Anima Pura Sit

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 08, 2007, 11:43:38 pm »

in any case, this follower of the Greek deities found this to be a very useful resource.

This one as well...especially considering my slavish devotion and undying love of both Hekate and canines.
Theres
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 09, 2007, 01:23:23 am »

This one as well...especially considering my slavish devotion and undying love of both Hekate and canines.
most of my favorite people are dogs.   Wink

~ Monty Python
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #6: November 06, 2008, 12:14:58 pm »

I realise this thread is a bit dated, but on the off-chance someone can answer my question ...

Very interesting article, but for the dog-lovers among us, and out of a more general curiosity, it looks like dogs were used primarily (maybe exclusively?) a sacrificial and "purificatory (which, again, based on the article, seems to be entirely related to sacrifice) in Hekate's cult.  Is that, then, the extent of their associations to her?  This may be a residual from neo-Wiccan views, I'm not sure, but I had understood them to be ... more a sort of companion relationship, not in the sense today of dogs as "man's best friend" or as "companion animals" but more like an ally.  Is this an incorrect assumption then, and her only interest in the animal is as a sacrifice?
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: November 06, 2008, 12:24:16 pm »

but I had understood them to be ... more a sort of companion relationship, not in the sense today of dogs as "man's best friend" or as "companion animals" but more like an ally.  Is this an incorrect assumption then, and her only interest in the animal is as a sacrifice?

That's a reasonable conclusion, even when looking at ancient sources (which were not always... kind.. in their descriptions). Hecate is often described as arriving with hounds, or howls being heard in Her presence.

And for what it's worth, that's how I see it. And IME, having the dogs about while singing prayers or offering libations doesn't seem to bother Her one bit.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: November 06, 2008, 12:26:35 pm »

Very interesting article, but for the dog-lovers among us, and out of a more general curiosity, it looks like dogs were used primarily (maybe exclusively?) a sacrificial and "purificatory (which, again, based on the article, seems to be entirely related to sacrifice) in Hekate's cult.  Is that, then, the extent of their associations to her?  This may be a residual from neo-Wiccan views, I'm not sure, but I had understood them to be ... more a sort of companion relationship, not in the sense today of dogs as "man's best friend" or as "companion animals" but more like an ally.  Is this an incorrect assumption then, and her only interest in the animal is as a sacrifice?

Dogs were sacrificed to her, but she was often depicted with a few dogs around her.  I think dogs (and black and/or wild dogs in particular but I'm not sure) were considered sacred to her.

And this probably not an ancient view, just me throwing words out:  Hekate is also one of the deities thought to protect the home so guard dogs may be part of the association.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
darkwhispersdale
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 03:41:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: November 06, 2008, 02:57:35 pm »

Thankyou for providing the link to the article I found alot more useful information there about Hekate than many of the pagan based articles and many useful references at the end to follow up as well.

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873
Lusiphelia
Master Member
Last Login:November 07, 2010, 05:26:41 pm

Religion: Heathen, with strong occult & Mystery leanings
TCN ID: Lusiphelia

Blog entries (7)

Ignore
« Reply #10: November 06, 2008, 03:51:29 pm »

Dogs were sacrificed to her, but she was often depicted with a few dogs around her.  I think dogs (and black and/or wild dogs in particular but I'm not sure) were considered sacred to her.

That's a reasonable conclusion, even when looking at ancient sources (which were not always... kind.. in their descriptions). Hecate is often described as arriving with hounds, or howls being heard in Her presence.

That's what I had always come across, and wanted to verify whether or not it was traditional, especially after reading the article.  Thanks!

And this probably not an ancient view, just me throwing words out:  Hekate is also one of the deities thought to protect the home so guard dogs may be part of the association.

That's very interesting to me in and of itself.  Food for thought. thanks, Mel.
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 31, 2011, 12:50:05 am »

That's what I had always come across, and wanted to verify whether or not it was traditional, especially after reading the article.  Thanks!

That's very interesting to me in and of itself.  Food for thought. thanks, Mel.

did anyone save this article,I would like to read it but it's no longer available on that site.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)