The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 20, 2020, 11:12:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 20, 2020, 11:12:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Living your Ethics  (Read 6916 times)
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 12, 2007, 04:55:56 pm »

Not stealing offerings meant for the gods could equate to not fraudulently receiving charity.  It could cover things like getting welfare under false pretenses, or going to the food bank because you want to use your grocery money to party with, that kind of thing.

Absent

You're good!  Now see, I wouldnt have thought of that exactly. 

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: October 13, 2007, 01:17:18 am »

The basics of kemetic ethics, for me, would be "uphold ma'at" - support and uphold the structure that makes life possible. That means working to enforce social structures and rules, for example, doing little things that bring order over chaos (Darkhawk has a really nice piece about how part of upholding ma'at at its most basic level involves putting shooping carts back where they belong. Not on my own computer now, so don't have the link handy), being oil in the wheels of the world rather than sand. If you look at it that way, it both changed a lot over the ages and has stayed the same. The principle hasn't changed, but the specifics of "how do I act towards others to make the social process work" has definitely changed.

The phrase "uphold ma'at" annoys me but I love how you've explained it. Thanks!
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: October 13, 2007, 01:22:44 am »

The basics of kemetic ethics, for me, would be "uphold ma'at" - support and uphold the structure that makes life possible. That means working to enforce social structures and rules, for example, doing little things that bring order over chaos (Darkhawk has a really nice piece about how part of upholding ma'at at its most basic level involves putting shooping carts back where they belong. Not on my own computer now, so don't have the link handy), being oil in the wheels of the world rather than sand.

"The Theology of Shopping Carts" is at http://www.bunny-puppy.net/folk/carts.html.

Rain
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2008, 12:31:39 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: November 04, 2007, 12:35:23 pm »

The basics of kemetic ethics, for me, would be "uphold ma'at" - support and uphold the structure that makes life possible. That means working to enforce social structures and rules, for example, doing little things that bring order over chaos (Darkhawk has a really nice piece about how part of upholding ma'at at its most basic level involves putting shooping carts back where they belong. Not on my own computer now, so don't have the link handy), being oil in the wheels of the world rather than sand. If you look at it that way, it both changed a lot over the ages and has stayed the same. The principle hasn't changed, but the specifics of "how do I act towards others to make the social process work" has definitely changed.

Wow, this post and Darkhawk's article have touched a nerve for me.  I've never been able to really describe why it's so important to me to engage in little courtesies like returning shopping carts, doing little favours, let people in front of you while driving, or being extra-polite and positive to those who seem to be having a bad day.  I could say it was important to me to be a functional individual and member of society, but couldn't put my finger on such an elegant explanation as the one you two have given.

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #19: November 09, 2007, 08:17:44 am »

Most religions have ethical strictures, either overt or covert.

What are your religion's ethical strictures?  Do you live up to them?

If it's a recon religion, how have these strictures changed from before?

As an Aztec 'Recon' (not like I can go on war campaigns and take captives...) /American Indigenous seeker, (with a focus in the Algonquian speaking tribes, Ancestor worship, and some blanks filled in with local practices) There are multiple 'layers' of expected behaviors.

The number one 'value' that has been reiterated time and time again, is that idle hands are a sign of laziness and will bring bad luck on you, and everyone around you.  You have energy to move, then you had better be moving it.  Everyone has their job in the family, and you need to carry your weight, otherwise you cause harm to the entire unit.  The kitchen has to be clean.  Like really clean. 

There are 'social rules' that I find myself following almost subconsciously, while not being 'religious' per se, they are spiritual.  I laugh at myself that I have the habit of putting someones fork or spoon into their bowl, before I bring it to the table.  The sensibility in this being, I know the bowl is clean, and although I'm pretty sure the table is clean I have this momentary hrm, that well it might not be.  So it goes in the bowl.

That was just one of the sort of odd examples.

I guess bringing the loose ends together and making something out of nothing is a big part of what I feel my personal obligations are- and making it look as seamless as possible (I guess this would fall under hospitality).  The survival and prosperity of my unit are of the highest concern.  Take care of that which serves you, and it will continue to serve you well.

On a spiritual level, survive.  Every moment has a grain of energy in it, and something that can be made from it.  It is up to me to decide what. 

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: November 10, 2007, 01:48:07 am »

Wow, this post and Darkhawk's article have touched a nerve for me.  I've never been able to really describe why it's so important to me to engage in little courtesies like returning shopping carts, doing little favours, let people in front of you while driving, or being extra-polite and positive to those who seem to be having a bad day.  I could say it was important to me to be a functional individual and member of society, but couldn't put my finger on such an elegant explanation as the one you two have given.

I have to agree with you Rain, it did the same for me as well. Its really confusing for me when people want me to NOT do these things. Whats wrong with taking a minute or two out of your regular routine to be nice to someone, or just doing a nice gesture in general? Its really nothing.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)