The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 04, 2020, 03:39:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2020, 03:39:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help from the Deities  (Read 8128 times)
Shaylee
Apprentice
Last Login:October 17, 2007, 04:05:37 pm
United States United States

Religion: undecided - interest ranges from Pagan to Zen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 09, 2007, 12:34:54 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I've been trying to keep up with the new posts- so many good topics. I've got a question for you about asking the Deities for help. I'm not sure who has been been trying to communicate with me but it's been pretty intense. I need to make some changes in myself and certain situations like many of us do and, in frustration, asked for help.

That same day I had a minor accident with a minor injury that was more painful than serious. I did react in a calm, logical way without self pity which is very different than my old self. I felt that the incident showed me how far I've come in some ways. Later, as I fell asleep, I asked if my prayer caused this and who answered. (I probably should be more careful and specific the next time I ask for help.  Shocked

In my inner vision I saw a crone- I'm not sure if it was a manifestation of Brighid or Hecate. It also seems that my third eye's vision is clearer (it was a head injury) and I've been having vivid dreams. I've been keeping a journal and the people I am meeting in my dreams are from my past. Some had harmed me, etc. and I seem to be making peace with them. Could this be a form of inner healing and change?

Could you share your experiences on this, I'd appreciate learning from you about working with your Deities.

Thanks for listening,  Smiley

Shaylee

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 09, 2007, 02:30:41 pm »

Here are a few things that I've written on this subject which I think you'll find helpful (and which I'm too lazy to rewrite LOL so I'll just link you.)

Speaking With the Gods

What the Gods Have to Teach Us

Shaylee
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 09, 2007, 10:28:38 pm »

Here are a few things that I've written on this subject which I think you'll find helpful (and which I'm too lazy to rewrite LOL so I'll just link you.)

Speaking With the Gods

What the Gods Have to Teach Us

Thanks, Dania. I enjoyed your articles and found them very helpful. You answered some other questions that I had as well- nice bonus.  Smiley

Shaylee
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 09, 2007, 10:32:58 pm »

In my inner vision I saw a crone- I'm not sure if it was a manifestation of Brighid or Hecate.

Since neither are crone goddesses, it's very likely neither Brigid nor Hekate.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Shaylee
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 10, 2007, 01:17:37 pm »

Since neither are crone goddesses, it's very likely neither Brigid nor Hekate.

Hello fiamma,

Everything I've read about Hecate states that she is the Triple Goddess- Maiden, Mother and Crone- I've also heard Brigid described as having attributes of Maiden, Mother and Crone. I'm not sure if I've misunderstood this interpretation or not. Could you give me an example of a goddess associated with the crone. I see the crone aspect as one of wisdom and healing and much more. Not sure if I'm getting this right.

Thanks,

Shaylee  Undecided
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 10, 2007, 02:45:45 pm »

Everything I've read about Hecate states that she is the Triple Goddess- Maiden, Mother and Crone- I've also heard Brigid described as having attributes of Maiden, Mother and Crone. I'm not sure if I've misunderstood this interpretation or not. Could you give me an example of a goddess associated with the crone. I see the crone aspect as one of wisdom and healing and much more. Not sure if I'm getting this right.

The Maiden Mother and Crone "format" is a relatively new invention. It was completely unknown to the Greeks, and unknown the the Celts also afaik. A lot of modern authors attempt to squish Goddesses into this "format" and they REALLY don't fit.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: October 10, 2007, 02:47:53 pm »

The Maiden Mother and Crone "format" is a relatively new invention. It was completely unknown to the Greeks, and unknown the the Celts also afaik. A lot of modern authors attempt to squish Goddesses into this "format" and they REALLY don't fit.

As Dania said, and IIRC, the Maiden-Mother-Crone formula was developed pretty recently -- by Robert Graves, I think, but I could be wrong on that (I'm writing from memory, and my memory sucks).  The worship of Brighid and Hekate far predate the MMC model.

I don't know Hekate, and am not familiar enough with Her mythology to comment on whether "crone" is an accurate description of Her.

However, I'm sure that it is not an accurate description of Brighid.  Traditionally, Brighid is worshipped as a goddess of poetry/inspiration, healing, and smithcraft.  (I, personally, also add social justice to that list.)  And, as Dania pointed out, the Celts did not have a MMC mythology.

Her festival is celebrated at the beginnning of February (Imbolc, or St. Brighid's Day, or Candlemas, depending on what you want to call it), and is associated with the beginning of spring.  Various authors present different interpretations of the exact meaning of Imbolc (whether it has to do with when the sheep begin to lactate, or with purification, etc.).  Regardless, the recorded traditions (which are likely Christianized survivals of pagan tradition) do seem to show a connection with fertility and spring.  So, I guess, in that sense, Brighid could be likened to the Maiden aspect.

Traditionally, Brighid was/is called upon to help mothers giving birth (animal and human), so I guess that *could* be associated with the Mother aspect, although I think it's a real stretch to do that.

And, at least in Scottish lore, Brighid is said to be associated with the Cailleach, a crone figure who is said to rule the winter half of the year while imprisoning Brighid, who rules the summer half of the year.  Some authors posit that Brighid and the Cailleach are 2 aspects of the same being.  (My own UPG tells me that is not correct.)

All that being said, I think it's a real stretch to put Brighid into the MMC model.

And moreover, I would definitely not put Brighid in the "crone" category.  Take that with a grain of salt, of course, since different people might experience Her differently.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Shaylee
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 10, 2007, 03:09:19 pm »

As Dania said, and IIRC, the Maiden-Mother-Crone formula was developed pretty recently -- by Robert Graves, I think, but I could be wrong on that (I'm writing from memory, and my memory sucks).  The worship of Brighid and Hekate far predate the MMC model.

I don't know Hekate, and am not familiar enough with Her mythology to comment on whether "crone" is an accurate description of Her.

However, I'm sure that it is not an accurate description of Brighid.  Traditionally, Brighid is worshipped as a goddess of poetry/inspiration, healing, and smithcraft.  (I, personally, also add social justice to that list.)  And, as Dania pointed out, the Celts did not have a MMC mythology.

Her festival is celebrated at the beginnning of February (Imbolc, or St. Brighid's Day, or Candlemas, depending on what you want to call it), and is associated with the beginning of spring.  Various authors present different interpretations of the exact meaning of Imbolc (whether it has to do with when the sheep begin to lactate, or with purification, etc.).  Regardless, the recorded traditions (which are likely Christianized survivals of pagan tradition) do seem to show a connection with fertility and spring.  So, I guess, in that sense, Brighid could be likened to the Maiden aspect.

Traditionally, Brighid was/is called upon to help mothers giving birth (animal and human), so I guess that *could* be associated with the Mother aspect, although I think it's a real stretch to do that.

And, at least in Scottish lore, Brighid is said to be associated with the Cailleach, a crone figure who is said to rule the winter half of the year while imprisoning Brighid, who rules the summer half of the year.  Some authors posit that Brighid and the Cailleach are 2 aspects of the same being.  (My own UPG tells me that is not correct.)

All that being said, I think it's a real stretch to put Brighid into the MMC model.

And moreover, I would definitely not put Brighid in the "crone" category.  Take that with a grain of salt, of course, since different people might experience Her differently.

Thank you, Dania and Moon Ivy. I really have to do more research on both- I seem to get sidetracked by some sources, but it's nice to know that TC members are willing to help by offering input from their own years of study.  Smiley There are some sites that name Hecate (sp?) as the goddess of witchcraft. I'll have to keep looking for info that it more true to the original goddess.

I hope that I didn't offend anyone with my mistake.

Shaylee
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 10, 2007, 03:12:29 pm »

Some what OT but how do you manage to light so many lightbulbs in one post? Oh well.  Undecided

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: October 10, 2007, 05:37:24 pm »

Thank you, Dania and Moon Ivy. I really have to do more research on both

No problem.  I'm always happy to talk about Brighid.  Wink

If you're interested in Brighid resources, there is a thread in the Cauldron Cill folder called "Brighid Resources".  (I'd link to it here, but my computer is not cooperating.)  There are lists of books and websites there that might be helpful for you.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: October 10, 2007, 05:37:50 pm »

Some what OT but how do you manage to light so many lightbulbs in one post? Oh well.  Undecided

The same way you do.   Wink

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: October 10, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »

The ancients Greek generally depicted Hekate as young woman (and not part of any "triple goddess"). As I recall, the late Roman version of Hecate was at least sometimes depicted as an older woman as recall and sometimes as part of a triple goddess.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 10, 2007, 06:32:24 pm »

The same way you do.   Wink

That figures Tongue
Different kind of lightblbs to usual, but the same principle.

fiamma
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 10, 2007, 07:58:16 pm »

Hello fiamma,

Thanks,

Shaylee  Undecided

Hekate is overwhelmingly a maiden/virgin goddess. Here's more info, all of it taken directly from the Greek writing:

http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Hekate.html

Most of the associations of Hekate as crone come from a few specific sources where Hekate as described is really NOT the Hekate of religious cult. The possibility of Hekate as mother comes more from association and conflation with other mythical figures. She herself had no offspring.

As you can see, she does have some association with witchcraft, night, etc as is popularly believed today, however those associations are greatly exaggerated in respect to her other attributes, and the fact that she is a maiden is largely ignored to give the popular image of Hekate as this dark, scary crone-witch-hag goddess.

Hope this helps to clear things up a little.

fiamma
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 10, 2007, 07:59:13 pm »

Yup, it's like...150 years old at most, probably a good bit less.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)