The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 30, 2020, 02:31:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 30, 2020, 02:31:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help from the Deities  (Read 8100 times)
Annaquen
Last Login:December 17, 2007, 08:10:01 pm
United States United States

Religion: Polytheistic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 10, 2007, 08:04:45 pm »

Hello Everyone,

Okay, not intirely sure how to post links correctly, but here are two really good ones on Hekate...
http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/HekateGoddess.html
http://www.hekate.nu/

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source for all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed. -Albert Einstein

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Shaylee
Apprentice
Last Login:October 17, 2007, 04:05:37 pm

Religion: undecided - interest ranges from Pagan to Zen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: October 10, 2007, 09:36:28 pm »

Hekate is overwhelmingly a maiden/virgin goddess. Here's more info, all of it taken directly from the Greek writing:

http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Hekate.html

Most of the associations of Hekate as crone come from a few specific sources where Hekate as described is really NOT the Hekate of religious cult. The possibility of Hekate as mother comes more from association and conflation with other mythical figures. She herself had no offspring.

As you can see, she does have some association with witchcraft, night, etc as is popularly believed today, however those associations are greatly exaggerated in respect to her other attributes, and the fact that she is a maiden is largely ignored to give the popular image of Hekate as this dark, scary crone-witch-hag goddess.

Hope this helps to clear things up a little.

Hello Fiamma,

Thanks for the link and your post did help. Smiley I'm also thinking that the older woman in my dream could be a spirit guide and not represent a particular deity. I've been reading more about different deities and I just get  excited when I have dreams that feel so real. With all the links I've gotten here- I certainly know more than I did before.

My mind works in weird ways sometimes and I have another question for everyone. I'm not sure how to word this, but here goes- When people distort or change the image of the original deity- what happens? Does it affect the original deity somehow or does it create a new deity? Are these considered impostors?

Thanks again,

Shaylee
Shaylee
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: October 10, 2007, 09:38:39 pm »

Okay, not intirely sure how to post links correctly, but here are two really good ones on Hekate...
http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/HekateGoddess.html
http://www.hekate.nu/

Hi Annaquen,

Thank you, the links worked just fine.  Smiley

Shaylee
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: October 10, 2007, 10:05:17 pm »

Hello Fiamma,

* snip *

My mind works in weird ways sometimes and I have another question for everyone. I'm not sure how to word this, but here goes- When people distort or change the image of the original deity- what happens? Does it affect the original deity somehow or does it create a new deity? Are these considered impostors?

Thanks again,

Shaylee

I don't believe that anything you can say or do, will affect the way a deity chooses to appear to Her/His worshippers. The power is Theirs, not ours.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: October 11, 2007, 12:37:01 am »

As Dania said, and IIRC, the Maiden-Mother-Crone formula was developed pretty recently -- by Robert Graves, I think, but I could be wrong on that (I'm writing from memory, and my memory sucks).  The worship of Brighid and Hekate far predate the MMC model.

I don't know Hekate, and am not familiar enough with Her mythology to comment on whether "crone" is an accurate description of Her.

I'm pretty sure one of my Scott Cunningham books state that calling Hekate an old, withering Crone would "make Hellenists spit venom".

While some of Hekate's myths FIT the Crone myths, Hekate herself is NOT a crone. (So you are correct. Smiley)

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 11, 2007, 02:56:08 pm »

That’s a hard question but I don’t think that any modern tampering would affect a deity. Most serious Pagans do a great deal of studying and will eventually separate the mythos from each other. Other may have a purely UPG moment and recognize that a certain fact doesn’t jive with how that deity is presenting themselves or information that they come across just doesn’t feel right. But I have come across people that have claimed to follow the same deity but had very different ideas of the qualities of that deity. This type of thing happens a lot with Pagan religion because we are all so different in our practices. Perhaps the deities merely present themselves as needed and are as changeable as humans. There is no rule that says a deity must remain stagnate.

[If you think your mind works in weird ways then you need to spend a day wandering around mine. Maybe you’ll find my sanity somewhere in the mess.]

fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: October 11, 2007, 06:37:59 pm »

Hello Fiamma,

Thanks for the link and your post did help. Smiley I'm also thinking that the older woman in my dream could be a spirit guide and not represent a particular deity. I've been reading more about different deities and I just get  excited when I have dreams that feel so real. With all the links I've gotten here- I certainly know more than I did before.

No problem, glad I could help. I know how it is to get excited over this stuff. The idea of the woman in your dreams being some sort of personal spirit or guide is a very real possibility, I'd look into that further.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Shaylee
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: October 11, 2007, 09:59:57 pm »

[If you think your mind works in weird ways then you need to spend a day wandering around mine. Maybe you’ll find my sanity somewhere in the mess.]

Hi Reona,

Sometimes sanity is overrated, and some great minds agree:  Grin   

“Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination”

Mark Twain

“Sanity is a madness put to good use.”

George Santayana

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.
Carl Gustav Jung

Thanks for your post.

Shaylee  Wink
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #23: December 31, 2007, 06:00:08 pm »

I've got a question to ask, and as I can't start a new topic, I hope you don't mind if I ask on this one.

Some days ago, I was walking to the bus stop, and I suddenly felt an irrational fear. In my mind, I heard a voice (not my own voice, if you know what I mean) telling me to not be afraid, that Loki was protecting me. Then I asked "Loki? why would Loki protect ME?" and the voice, which I then knew belonged to Loki, answered me with another question: "Why do you always have to question everything?? Just accept it!!" (He put emphasis on the word "everything"). He seemed to be angry, so I just thanked him and kept walking. He's been around since that day, but I'm not feeling my patron, Odhinn, is here as much as before. I know He'll come whenever I need him, though (He came to help me last wednesday), but it seems He's been very busy lately. I think maybe He sent Loki to take care of me while He is away (and that could explain why was Loki angry that day, even if He is not angry right now).

So my question is, do you think some god/s can send other god/s to take care of or help their children? I'd like to read your opinions. Thank you!

Selegna.

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #24: December 31, 2007, 06:08:18 pm »

So my question is, do you think some god/s can send other god/s to take care of or help their children? I'd like to read your opinions. Thank you!

Most definitely!!! Most gods, IME don't work entirely "alone". From what I've seen/experienced, you might be working specifically with one god, but they've got a whole family backing them, if you know what I mean, and they do tend to help each other out. Smiley

Selegna
Master Member
Argentina Argentina

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #25: January 01, 2008, 10:11:52 am »

Most definitely!!! Most gods, IME don't work entirely "alone". From what I've seen/experienced, you might be working specifically with one god, but they've got a whole family backing them, if you know what I mean, and they do tend to help each other out. Smiley

Thanks for your answer, Dania. Smiley I think I know what you mean. Like taking the kids to the uncle's house, right?  Cheesy

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #26: January 01, 2008, 12:37:44 pm »

Thanks for your answer, Dania. Smiley I think I know what you mean. Like taking the kids to the uncle's house, right?  Cheesy

*laughs* sort of. Grin

Not sure there really IS a "this world" analogy that would fit properly. But that's pretty close.

alexbettencourt
Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2008, 11:12:09 am

Religion: Out-there pagan, member of Asphodel.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: January 02, 2008, 11:54:36 am »

I've got a question to ask, and as I can't start a new topic, I hope you don't mind if I ask on this one.

Some days ago, I was walking to the bus stop, and I suddenly felt an irrational fear. In my mind, I heard a voice (not my own voice, if you know what I mean) telling me to not be afraid, that Loki was protecting me. Then I asked "Loki? why would Loki protect ME?" and the voice, which I then knew belonged to Loki, answered me with another question: "Why do you always have to question everything?? Just accept it!!" (He put emphasis on the word "everything"). He seemed to be angry, so I just thanked him and kept walking. He's been around since that day, but I'm not feeling my patron, Odhinn, is here as much as before. I know He'll come whenever I need him, though (He came to help me last wednesday), but it seems He's been very busy lately. I think maybe He sent Loki to take care of me while He is away (and that could explain why was Loki angry that day, even if He is not angry right now).

Selegna.

People who work with Odinn often get both He and Loki as a package deal--They are brothers after all. My understanding is that it may not be as much a 'busy' thing as a 'this is how They often work' thing.

I think Gods do whatever They think is best..and that it's not always a 'take care of this because I don't have time' but that 'You're better at XYZ than I am' or 'the human is not listening to Me..go make them uncomfy so that they will'.

"We cannot long for something that is not intimately close to us." J. Neuner
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #28: January 02, 2008, 01:54:42 pm »

I think Gods do whatever They think is best..and that it's not always a 'take care of this because I don't have time' but that 'You're better at XYZ than I am' or 'the human is not listening to Me..go make them uncomfy so that they will'.

*rofl* yea, something like that.

Selegna
Master Member
Argentina Argentina

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #29: January 02, 2008, 03:02:46 pm »

People who work with Odinn often get both He and Loki as a package deal--They are brothers after all. My understanding is that it may not be as much a 'busy' thing as a 'this is how They often work' thing.

Yes, I know they're brothers, but in 13 years that Odhinn has been around me, I never had any contact with Loki. I thought about the "take care of her while I'm away" thing because Loki seemed to not really want to be there at that time. He seemed to be just obeying, not in a "you have to do this because I say so" way, but more like "I lost a poker game and now I have to take care of this child..." sense. lol. (I'm not saying they play poker, I'm just trying to clarify things, and I'm not very good at english. Undecided ). Of course, Loki says He wouldn't be here if He didn't want to.  Cheesy

Thank you very much for your answer!!

Selegna.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)