The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 08, 2020, 04:31:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 08, 2020, 04:31:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ordeals, Trials, Tests of Faith  (Read 6717 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: October 09, 2007, 10:01:07 pm »

Wisdom from Set, to me a while ago:

"It's all a test.  It's all an ordeal.  Eventually you'll run into the test that will kill you.  Dying is not a failure: not meeting the challenge of the test is the only failure.  Don't turn away."

And I take this to mean that whatever it is, I must turn my face towards it, address it as it is, the world and shape of whatever this challenge is.  And I may fear; His other statement is "Fear is how we measure ourselves."  Fear is fine, so long as it does not drive you away from facing.  Fear does not diminish a body, but bowing to fear is recognising it as one's master.

That's beautiful, Darkhawk.

I think my biggest fear is being useless and dependent.

You say the migraine experience makes you feel less spiritually aware, restrained; what does it mean to face that?  Do you lose your practice for the pain, because you can't feel it, or do you endure?  Does it threaten your relationship with Brighid?  Even if you are debilitated (and I have enough experience with migraine to know from debilitating), what can you build in the space remaining to you?

If you want to seek spiritual meaning in this, what is it illuminating?  What is it making you face?

I don't know if there is any spiritual meaning in this.  It could just be a sucky thing that's happening.  I don't really believe that everything that happens has meaning.

And, other than pure pain and the need to rely on my husband and the fear of not being able to do my job, I don't know what it's making me face.  I'll have to think on that.  Or maybe those things are enough.

I'm trying to maintain a semblance of a spiritual practice.  Since I'm not really into ritual, it's not like the migraines are keeping me from rituals.  I'm still keeping my flame for Brighid and still using my "Brighid playlist" on my ipod to help me through the roughest spots -- when I can deal with sounds at all.

But I'm having trouble feeling anything through the pain and the meds.  When I "reach" for Brighid, I can't feel Her.  I seem to have totally lost my empathic abilities.  I can't "feel" my stones.  I can't get to a trance state.  It's like I'm back down to just "normal" senses.

options are 'go forward and through this' or 'sit here in the muck'.

Remember what the man says:  "If you are going through hell, KEEP GOING." 

So true.  There's really no alternative.   Undecided

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #16: October 09, 2007, 10:19:20 pm »

This, taken together with Finn's comment, gives me a different perspective.

I know from your other posts that you learned to channel that energy through the tarot cards.  Do you have any advice for learning how to control it?

Sheer chance, unfortunately.  I was going the biofeedback route through the pain clinic.  The equipment broke down a lot at first, but I learned about controlling my breathing and temperature.  (raising the temperature of my hands and feet eased the migraines - walking in a hot bath is heaven, but it can be done with the mind as well)  Then when I learned about the different levels of brain waves, and what they looked like on the screen, the equipment stopped breaking.

This was my first/second year at uni.  I met some wiccish and other pagans and learned about shielding.  I participated in putting shields on myself, but most of the real work of it was done by others.  It actually made the headaches worse at first, but in a way that felt like it was the 'darkest before the dawn', and easement was coming.

Then I encountered the cards.  They were first shown to me by someone who knows my family well (foster sister) and thought I would be good at it because of our history of 'freaky stuff' (actual quote).  The very first time I used them to answer a question it was as if the entire world stopped, waited, then rushed forward at double speed.  It was like a stopped up sink draining, only in reverse.  All the things I was using shielding and enforced calm to keep out suddenly had a channel and it was like they were ecstatic at the reunion.  (I know I'm personalising this energy, but it did feel like a greeting at the time)

So looking over my post, I guess none of it was 'me'.  I went to the right places (WCH pain clinic, UofT) at the right times, met the right people who had the skills and the desire to help, and got the last bit from someone I had known for years.  The only thing I actually 'did' in all of this was accept help over and over.  Maybe I decided 'which' help to accept, but I don't remember it.  Certain therapies and preventives were off the table right from the start, but I don't know what made me plunge into the ones I did.

Not much help, I guess.  Sucks to be asked how I made such a major change in my life and have to say 'It wasn't me'.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: October 09, 2007, 10:37:55 pm »

And, other than pure pain and the need to rely on my husband and the fear of not being able to do my job, I don't know what it's making me face.  I'll have to think on that.  Or maybe those things are enough.

I suspect they're enough.

The ordeal I'm wrestling with now is making me face the concept of madness, and it's doing it in as many different ways as it can do.  I'm not sure I've found all of them yet; I dread finding more of them.  And as I just commented to a friend, I am not exactly happy with going through this -- but 'happy with' isn't terribly relevant to facing the ordeal.

It's just there, to be measured against and faced.  It's always been there, for me; the madness is my shadow.  I don't know whether your migraine has always been there, if it's just the chance thing that shows your stuff in sharp contrasts where you can either face it or be beaten, but I do believe that if it's not one thing, it's another.  Somewhere along the line, one always has the choice to face the shadow.

Sometimes the choice is a stark, obvious, searingly painful one; sometimes it's a subtle thing, a trick of the light.  Sometimes part of the test is seeing the option to choose to face the test.

I don't know; I have no easy answers.  I just mutter, "Going through hell, keep going" to myself a lot.  And keep going.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: October 09, 2007, 10:43:00 pm »

OK, so it's been suggested to me (by several people and in a couple of separate divinations) that this whole stupid migraine mess that I've been going through is some kind of initiatory ordeal, or test of faith sort of thing.

Personally, I'm inclined to doubt this, given how long you've had migraines. However, I suppose this latest severe flare-up could be. However, I'm still skeptical (of course, I'm skeptical by nature).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: October 10, 2007, 03:59:13 am »

OK, so it's been suggested to me (by several people and in a couple of separate divinations) that this whole stupid migraine mess that I've been going through is some kind of initiatory ordeal, or test of faith sort of thing.

I, myself, am too deep into it to be able to objectively evaluate it.  Although I do have this sort of nagging feeling that there's something I'm supposed to do.  No clue what, though.  And that could just be the power of suggestion, rather than a "real" feeling.

So, I'm wondering what kinds of experiences other TCers have had with this sort of thing. 

How did you know it was a test?  DID you know it was a test?  How did you navigate your way through it?  Any hints on figuring out what I'm supposed to do?

Please note: I am in NO WAY trying to say that migraine syndrome or any other disease is a positive or particularly spiritual experience.  Frankly, I wouldn't wish this on anyone. 

And in addition, I'm feeling decidedly LESS spiritual right now.  I don't know whether its the meds or the pain or the combination, but I seem to have lost my ability to connect with...well...anything.  And the whole thing is just plain pissing me off.

My question is about whether people on TC have experienced what they consider to be an initiatory ordeal or test of faith (or whatever you want to call it) regardless of whether it was an illness or crisis or whatever.

I can't say I have, really. I feel like I'm stuck in spiritual limbo: just enough to believe, but not enough to believe in. ... I actually have no idea what I just said there, because I just typed it out on the fly. Must remember that for later. >_<

Back to what I was going to say; There have been maybe one or two times where when I was going to really get into studying and practicing meditation, etc, something has come up (as it usually does, with EVERYTHING, I swear. Whenever I make plans, they fall apart... or explode.). The two times I am speaking about though is when I've gotten sick, and I really can't do anything. But unlike all of my other colds.. they weren't as.. fierce? Mostly it felt like a mild sore throat (you don't know how thankful I am for that) and just a general disorientation and feeling like I can't get warm enough.

It may sound depressing, and it kind of was, since I was afraid that maybe someone out there is saying "Uh, hello, wrong direction!". But there is just a likely chance it was... a test of faith. Am I willing to care, love, and believe in him even when I'm sick? Ritual doesn't matter, or the statues or the libations or the websites or the clothing or the setting or the place or time; am I willing to believe?

I think thats the hardest question anyone has ever asked of me.

... I'm sorry if I really went off-topic here. I'm kind of rambling of 3 am. ^^; Its possible that you are undergoing some sort of test of faith, or perhaps not. I just still can't shake the feeling that the energy going towards you, whether to heal or harm or just normal energy in general, can't get out. I really kind of hope I'm wrong on this, as it doesn't make sense to me for the most part. Its just a feeling? I really hope you feel better soon, Moon Ivy. Sad

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 10, 2007, 08:59:22 am »

I think thats the hardest question anyone has ever asked of me.

... I'm sorry if I really went off-topic here. I'm kind of rambling of 3 am. ^^; Its possible that you are undergoing some sort of test of faith, or perhaps not. I just still can't shake the feeling that the energy going towards you, whether to heal or harm or just normal energy in general, can't get out. I really kind of hope I'm wrong on this, as it doesn't make sense to me for the most part. Its just a feeling? I really hope you feel better soon, Moon Ivy. Sad

Actually that is what I saw too Rin.  It is a blockage.  She doesnt need more energy so much, as free flowing energy.  It is like a river has been dammed up, and so the head of the river is overflowing, and yet is trapped there with nowhere to go.  Causing pain. 

If you dont mind, Moon Ivy, I will try and help you remove the blockage.  I promise I wont add more energy, just help remove blockages.  I will even ask Brighid to guide me.

It is up to you.

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: October 17, 2007, 08:29:43 pm »

So, I'm wondering what kinds of experiences other TCers have had with this sort of thing. 

How did you know it was a test?  DID you know it was a test?  How did you navigate your way through it?  Any hints on figuring out what I'm supposed to do?

My question is about whether people on TC have experienced what they consider to be an initiatory ordeal or test of faith (or whatever you want to call it) regardless of whether it was an illness or crisis or whatever.

Honestly, in my case, I seriously doubt it. Though, I find it interesting that you've had readings that have indicated this to you. When you had the readings done, were you specifically asking if there was any particular significance to your migraines or was it something that just kept coming up?

As for my convoluted story...I was born breach, with my legs twisted and my health really hasn't changed that much since.  Tongue As a child I had thyroid problems so I was always fat, slow and totally un-athletic. I had (and have) frequent and chronic foot problems (had to take the short bus to school for a few months once because of it). In high school (an art school) I had arthritis so severe that my fingers were deformed from it (my pinkies are still slightly crooked as a result). Then in college I was diagnosed with lupus-after two hours on the train to my doctor and a happy-go-fun weekend in ER. On my graduation day, I found out that my kidneys were the diseases favorite chew toy. I would spend days at a time sleeping upright at my desk in school because I couldn't breathe and lie down at the same time.

This past April I was again hospitalized, this time for kissing kidney failure. I've been on chemo treatments that have halted my monthly cycles, and made my hair fall out and have ruined a good lot of veins. I'm on medications that have resulted in scarring all over my torso and down to my elbows and knees. I spent my summer too sick to get out of bed most days (vampire jokes abounded) and am now on federal disability and have no clue whatsoever what I'm going to do with my life (aside from going to a nice parade on Halloween and doing Nano in Nov.)

...if all that ranks as a 'test' of some sort, then I must be flunking royally or something. Huh But, then I always was rather thick-headed.

And in addition, I'm feeling decidedly LESS spiritual right now.  I don't know whether its the meds or the pain or the combination, but I seem to have lost my ability to connect with...well...anything.
I so totally know this feeling. Only in the past, like, month have I really started even feeling like "me" again. For months during the summer, my dreams were all out of whack- images of darkness, lots of nightmares (which I'm usually not prone to), fitfull sleep...I felt like my brain had fallen into a well or something. I'm still nowhere near back to my usual routines, I've been having problems visualizing or maintaining a light trance state.

Part of what helped for me was to just sit somewhere (I had a nice little park nearby) and let my brain be empty. I'd listen to music and just focus on little things like how nice the breeze was or how good my bones felt once I stopped moving. That and I grabbed every object in the house that could be painted and painted it, just for the hell of it.   Smiley

Hang in there. Whether there's some spiritual element to your current situation or just really really shitty luck, it'll pass eventually. Even the Grand Canyon started out as a crack in the mud.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: October 17, 2007, 08:38:03 pm »

I find it interesting that you've had readings that have indicated this to you. When you had the readings done, were you specifically asking if there was any particular significance to your migraines or was it something that just kept coming up?

Thanks for your story.  It helps to put things in perspective for me.  Some days are horrible -- much like the ones you decribe -- but others are good.

To answer your specific question, the readings were about why the migraines were happening and what could I do about them -- not directly about whether there was significance to them.

At this point, I've moved into a place where I see them as more as a transformative experience -- as many posters suggested.  I'm not sure what I'm transforming into, but there are changes afoot.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
thain
Master Member
Last Login:August 04, 2010, 11:57:23 am

Religion: Buddhist/Eclectic Pagan

Thanatos Eleison

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #23: November 01, 2007, 04:04:08 pm »

I echo Randall in being somewhat skeptical of long-term, intense pain as an initiatory ordeal/test.  They could be, certainly, but I tend to feel that a deity interested in your worship, love, adoration, or anything else commonly given to matron/patron deities would NOT make you work through hell to give your devotion.  That being said, I am very big on duality, and there could be an entity in spiritual opposition to Brighid trying to sever your connection to her or otherwise place obstacles in your path to Brighid. 

I don't know if that helps at all, but I simply feel that most of the tests and ordeals I have faced were not as a result of the deity I was following at the time, but rather as a result of "other" intervention, whether mundane or supernatural.

Let yourself be open and life will be easier. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes the water undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake is almost unnoticed. - Buddha

The world is full enough of hurts and mischance without wars to multiply them. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Whiterabbit
Apprentice
Last Login:April 14, 2008, 07:19:18 pm
Sweden Sweden

Religion: Cottage/Green/Hedgewitch-mix

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 14, 2008, 07:17:48 pm »

I never believed a test or ordeal was required. That it would prove anything.  I had a couple of years of wandering around in a vast feeling of Nowhere, having lost my home and family, and later a piece of my sanity (it was recovered), but the Goddess guided me through it with love always reminding me this was my choice, not Hers.
No wonder I tried to hold on to my spirituality when it was all I had left...

Later I finally understood it was  just silly accidents, circumstances and "shit" that just kept on happening to me, and perhaps the consequences of my own "un-doings". A part of me has always been self destructive, and that part attracted misery to my life. To heal that part may indicate one has to go through one or two hells, to confront the real causes and be more aware. I think its about learning. But what isn't?
Same time I feel my relationship with the divine is based on "deals". I don't flatter myself with illness and fits, saying this makes me more close to my chosen path. Illness may say to me I'm in the wrong place, in danger, not at ease, and thats it. If people starts to die around me, I don't think its my Goddess teaching me to grow. I have nothing to do with it, its just sad if it happens. The universe doesn't evolve around me only. I see it that way after having relatives and friends passing over. It was their journey, not mine.

Having un-done myself completely once, I was utterly tired. Problem is, losses, illness, miscarriage, homelessness and actual threats to my life didn't make me more faithful or loyal to my Goddess. It made me into a raving, aggressive bitch with trust issues and it did teach me to be a survivor. I  had to steal food for example, which basically goes against my ethics. That forced me to look more closely at my ethics. To figure out whether they would work for the "chronically poor", or if spirituality has more than one price, depending on your income. It was probably a good lesson. But having pains and sufferings covering every bit of your map gives you nothing but scars, and if that is what your god/goddess requires its fascinating, it just doesn't work for me. I find it masochistic, and perhaps a faster, more risky road to a chosen goal. If I wanted to glorify pain, I would have chosen another religion.

The only thing my Goddess is really going on about, and requires from me, is the truth. My truth. But she is not going to kill me over it. If she tried I would trade her for a hot-dog.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 07:19:22 pm by Whiterabbit » Logged
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 14, 2008, 09:08:24 pm »

I never believed a test or ordeal was required. That it would prove anything.  I had a couple of years of wandering around in a vast feeling of Nowhere, having lost my home and family, and later a piece of my sanity (it was recovered), but the Goddess guided me through it with love always reminding me this was my choice, not Hers.
No wonder I tried to hold on to my spirituality when it was all I had left...

This week marks an extremely fresh and painful anniversiary for me, and I can only take it as words of love from all my Ladies when I read your post, White Rabbit. So, thanks. I didn't lose my home and famlly, but it was an option. I certainly did lose a piece of my sanity, it seems to be coming back, after many months of very hard work. The hardest part for me is that there can be multiple layers of truth. The love I experienced and the shared connection, which will never leave and has always been-true. How it is so thoroughly over and how impossible that seems-true. The mind-bending unfairness and insanity-true. How grateful I am that I can move forward, even without that which is so obviously right for me-true. I can only accept this to the best of my ability, but it gets a little easier every day.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #26: April 15, 2008, 02:40:57 am »

I, myself, am too deep into it to be able to objectively evaluate it.  Although I do have this sort of nagging feeling that there's something I'm supposed to do.  No clue what, though.  And that could just be the power of suggestion, rather than a "real" feeling.

Please note: I am in NO WAY trying to say that migraine syndrome or any other disease is a positive or particularly spiritual experience.  Frankly, I wouldn't wish this on anyone. 

And in addition, I'm feeling decidedly LESS spiritual right now.  I don't know whether its the meds or the pain or the combination, but I seem to have lost my ability to connect with...well...anything.  And the whole thing is just plain pissing me off.

I think it depends on how you deal with it and what comes out. If you find a way to transform yourself so the pain stops or you find better ways to cope with it, I think it can be an initiatory experience. Not sure if that's any consolation.

((((Moon Ivy))))

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)