The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2019, 05:12:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 05:12:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Proper cleansing of ritual tools  (Read 11487 times)
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 09, 2007, 07:56:43 pm »

Hello all, I am trying to start doing my own rituals which is a bit different from just being a part of an open circle, so I am going to put some of the tools I've gathered over the last year or so to use...

I know the idea is generally that the tools should be "cleansed" of negative energy or influences before being introduced into ritual.  Of course this is followed by the consecration of the tools, but I am not quite there yet, so I am focused right now on the removal of astral gunk primarily.

Now, I have looked on several websites and reading a couple of books and there are several methods suggested.  One of the best seems to be burial in the ground (or in a bowl of dirt/sand if that's not possible)  Another one is soaking in a bowl of salt water if the tool wouldn't be ruined in the process.  Some people talk about smudging and I guess I could use that where other things are not sensible, i.e. for just my altar table since I can't exactly bury it.

One thing that seems to not be universally agreed upon is exactly how long this takes, and if it needs to be done at a certain time.  For instance, in Wicca for the Solitary Practicioner, Cunningham says a "few days" buried or a few hours in water should do it.  One site I read suggested a month (!) or a year and a day (?!!?)...  Others suggest doing it in particular moon phases and using that as the guide.

I get nervous about leaving anything underground for much longer than a few days, between the weather cooling down and the dirt/moisture caking/forcing things to rust, etc... but I also want to be sure the tools are cleansed and able to be properly consecrated for ritual use.

So what do you suggest?  I really want to hold my own ritual for Samhain and do it right (at least the best that I can), so I feel like I'm working with time constraints.  Plus I don't want the whole process to take months and months, but if I have no choice, then I have no choice.

One last question...  For MUNDANE items that are going to make their way into the ritual circle just for certain occassions but are not magickal in nature (like inexpensive altar decorations for Sabbats, reference paperbacks, etc) do these things need to be cleansed too or are they OK to use as is?  I can't imagine most folks ritually cleansing every item they have nearby for special times, it just seems impractical)  What about candles?

Your advice is appreciated -- thanks!

Cleansing, you mean there are people who do that?  Well, okay, seriously, I do occasionally cleanse when it is something that just feels BAD.  I do try to keep my altar/workspace clean, but that is physically.  I am of the philosophy that anything that I use will eventually adapt to my vibrations. 

I am an animist, so if it doesnt want me to work with it, I fully expect it to tell me so Wink

Also, if I use a crystal for say, healing purposes, and feel it should be cleansed afterward, I just put it in a windowsill mainly and let it get sunlight.  Or perhaps I take a bath with it  Cheesy

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)