The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2020, 10:58:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2020, 10:58:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: That's a Herald's Staff...  (Read 5414 times)
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 11, 2007, 10:25:03 am »

Lately I've been seeing this symbol every where online; the circle with the cresenct "moon" on top. And I can't wrap my mind around the fact that's a wiccan symbol, because that's the top of a Herald's Staff.

I was never exposed to Wicca before D'aulries got set in my lap. So the first real symbol of religion I learned was the Herald's Staff, which I used as an emblem for the Hellenic Pantheon because of Hermes' role as a messenger between man and the divine.

But until not even a month ago I'd never seen it used in Wiccan practices, was I just oblivious to this for the past four years?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 11, 2007, 10:26:00 am »

Could one of the mods move this for me I don't know why on this earth I put it in this folder....
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: October 11, 2007, 10:39:23 am »

Could one of the mods move this for me I don't know why on this earth I put it in this folder....

Moved.  I wasn't exactly sure where to put it myself, but thought Pagan Religions might suit...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 11, 2007, 12:18:49 pm »

But until not even a month ago I'd never seen it used in Wiccan practices, was I just oblivious to this for the past four years?

*thinks back to my Wiccan days*

The Wiccan symbol supposedly represents the Horned God if I'm not mistaken.  A lot of the times I've seen the circle and crescent shape filled in.  If I'm not mistaken, the symbol that is on top of Hermes' wand is supposed to look like two S shapes that are intertwined to make it look like a broken figure-8.  Huh Let me get some more caffeine in me so I can think about this properly.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: October 11, 2007, 12:24:18 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, the symbol that is on top of Hermes' wand is supposed to look like two S shapes that are intertwined to make it look like a broken figure-8. 

More specifically, two snakes, I believe.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: October 11, 2007, 12:36:48 pm »

More specifically, two snakes, I believe.

Yes, but in many pictures they don't look remotely snakelike.  You really don't see the detail until the modern image of the caduceus came around (was it the Romans who came up with it?).

My Spiritual Blog
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 11, 2007, 01:02:30 pm »

Lately I've been seeing this symbol every where online; the circle with the cresenct "moon" on top. And I can't wrap my mind around the fact that's a wiccan symbol, because that's the top of a Herald's Staff.

I was never exposed to Wicca before D'aulries got set in my lap. So the first real symbol of religion I learned was the Herald's Staff, which I used as an emblem for the Hellenic Pantheon because of Hermes' role as a messenger between man and the divine.

Well, the first thing that popped into my had was the Taurus astrological symbol.

You're talking about this, right?

I really often see it attributed to Taurus (although I've never heard of it on a staff).

... I never really actually made the connection until now!  Cheesy But yes, its used quite prolifically in the Wiccan (Neo-Wiccan, Wiccanesque, etc) religion to symbolize the God, especially in his "Horned God" aspect. Never knew it was connected with Hermes though. I guess I've always kinda assocatiated it with Dionysos, as some of his epithets are connected with Taurus (Tauropôn, Taurokeros..).

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 11, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »

caduceus came around (was it the Romans who came up with it?).

No, the caduceus was around in Ancient Greece, it was prominant with Aesclepius(sp?)

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 11, 2007, 02:34:33 pm »

No, the caduceus was around in Ancient Greece, it was prominant with Aesclepius(sp?)

Nope, the rod of Asclepius only has one snake, and is never winged. The Caduceus (gk. Kerykeion) may or may not be winged, and has two serpents.

Early kerykeia ressembled (as others have said) a broken figure-eight. Some had wings and ribbons; later ones, wings and snakes. Earliest forms were more a forked golden twig.

But serpent or serpent and wings rods/wands/staffs show up earlier and in other cultures throughout the Mediterranean/Near East.
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 11, 2007, 02:47:19 pm »

Oh ok, I had thought that Asclepius's symbol was what we know of as the cadecus, but it seems I am wrong heh.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: October 11, 2007, 03:00:56 pm »

Oh ok, I had thought that Asclepius's symbol was what we know of as the cadecus, but it seems I am wrong heh.

It's a common mistake I'm sure.  What I don't get is how did the two snake staff became the modern symbol of medicine.

My Spiritual Blog
AIONIA
Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 11, 2007, 03:55:14 pm »

Okay, I understand the figure-8, and that's what is bringing my mind to recognize the "horned god symbol" as the Herald's Staff. But I've never heard of it with snakes...

On the Asclepius/Hermes Caedus issue...

I know there's one with snakes, but I've always attributed the "snake staff" to Asclepius as it, at least modernly is a symol of healing of which he is the god.

Diyonisus...

I don't know what to tell you on that one. I'm pretty sure I've seen the Taurus sign as well.
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 11, 2007, 05:41:33 pm »

I know there's one with snakes, but I've always attributed the "snake staff" to Asclepius as it, at least modernly is a symol of healing of which he is the god.

It's sometimes interpreted that the snake winding about Asclepius' staff (in addition to its renewal/regenerative symbolism)  is representative of his daughter Hygeia. Other stories attribute it to a connection to Medusa (and her potent poison/healing blood). More pragmatic thought points to the method of withdrawing parasitic worms by winding them about a stick. In any case snakes played a strong role in his cult.

Both symbols are used in modern organizations, but that's very recent, in the last century or so - the differences between the two symbols were much more clearly marked in earlier times. The confusion might have roots in the association of the kerykeion with Hermetic arts ---> alchemy ---> medicine. But there are other professions more closely connected with Hermes that use the symbol -- journalist and merchant orgs, for instance.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: October 11, 2007, 07:10:35 pm »

Used by Wiccans, sure.  But I wouldn't say it's a "Wiccan symbol" in an exclusive sense, and AFAIK it's nowhere near universal.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 11, 2007, 07:42:24 pm »

Both symbols are used in modern organizations, but that's very recent, in the last century or so...

I was doing a little research on the difference between the Rod of Asclepius and the Caduceus a few months back.  The information I found on Wikipedia seems to be the prevailing opinion on the confusion:

Quote from: Wikipedia
The main reason for the modern confusion over the symbols occurred when the caduceus was adopted by the Medical Department of the United States Army in 1902. [3] This was brought about by one Captain Reynolds, who after having the idea rejected several times by the Surgeon General, persuaded the new incumbent (WH Forwood) to adopt it. The mistake was noticed several years later by the librarian to the surgeon general, but was not changed.[3]

Why it wasn't changed I couldn't say, I don't have access to the article referenced, but if I had to guess I would probably go with bureaucratic inertia...

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)