The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 04, 2020, 10:18:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 04, 2020, 10:18:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HomogePaganization  (Read 27097 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 23, 2020, 07:47:48 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: October 11, 2007, 04:07:44 pm »

Web Site Article Discussion ThreadThis thread is for discussion of a specific article on our web site. Please limit discussion to questions and comments specific to this article. Feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate board if what you wish to discuss is not specific to the named article. Note that if you have arrived here from the discussion link on this article on our web site and are not a member of this message board, you will need to register an account to post in this thread. Thank you.

HomogePaganization

There seems to be a constant desire to recreate Paganism, a myriad of faiths that are less similar than different, into being one, single religion, with certain values and rules that all can agree to. Something to make Pagans a single political group, social group, and otherwise take the varied richness of what Paganism is, and turn it into a simple statement that comforts those that hear it, that recreates Paganism into something safe.

Read the Full Article

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 04:19:31 pm by RandallS, Reason: in changed to is » Logged

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 11, 2007, 07:08:24 pm »

[modbreak=Web Site Article Discussion Thread]
This thread is for discussion of a specific article on our web site. Please limit discussion to questions and comments specific to this article. Feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate board if what you wish to discuss is not specific to the named article. Note that if you have arrived here from the discussion link on this article on our web site and are not a member of this message board, you will need to register an account to post in this thread. Thank you.
[/modbreak]

HomogePaganization

There seems to be a constant desire to recreate Paganism, a myriad of faiths that are less similar than different, into being one, single religion, with certain values and rules that all can agree to. Something to make Pagans a single political group, social group, and otherwise take the varied richness of what Paganism is, and turn it into a simple statement that comforts those that hear it, that recreates Paganism into something safe.

Read the Full Article

I've been a closet believer in Hellenismos for years, so I really haven't been an open member of the larger community which self-identifies as "Pagan". Who is exerting the pressure to lump all of us together?

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 11, 2007, 07:19:55 pm »

This thread is for discussion of a specific article on our web site. Please limit discussion to questions and comments specific to this article. Feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate board if what you wish to discuss is not specific to the named article. Note that if you have arrived here from the discussion link on this article on our web site and are not a member of this message board, you will need to register an account to post in this thread. Thank you.
[/modbreak]

HomogePaganization

Read the Full Article

I think the desire to makes us one comes from those who fear being alone in their faith.  Who don't have the courage to really take the road leass travelled.  Our society pushes us to be part of a group (or of many groups) and in most cases doesn't truly value much in the way of individuality.  And so they want to create this fictional group called Pagans, when really that is about as defining as saying caucasian.  Yeah - I am mostly caucasian, but does that tell you much more than that most of my ancestors are from Europe?  No, it doesn't.  And saying we are all Pagans only says we are not Xtian, Jewish or Islamic, and self identify as Pagans.  Not really a coherent group there. Wink
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 11, 2007, 10:28:59 pm »

[/modbreak]

HomogePaganization

Read the Full Article

I am extremely solitary in my practice and under a rock socially in the pagan community, but I had no idea that this was so. I go to the UU church pagan group in my city sometimes, and we are all different and have a great time circling together in our various ways. I am personally very eclectic, I serve Goddesses from Aphrodite to Kali, and Siva is the primary God that I talk to. I do occasionally run into very narrow minded and stupid pagans, but I know plenty of the same in other religions as well. I would very much like to see and read more about  the basis for HS's opinion. Could you maybe post articles or quotes that support your thesis?

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: October 11, 2007, 10:38:16 pm »

Could you maybe post articles or quotes that support your thesis?

There are a huge number of 101 books that try very hard to make every Pagan religion into Wicca.

There was the whole PUC attempts to define Paganism (as, basically, Wicca) documented on our old Delphiforums board.

All the nonsense about "Pagans following the Rede" and celebrating the Wheel of the Year.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: October 11, 2007, 10:41:41 pm »

I am extremely solitary in my practice and under a rock socially in the pagan community, but I had no idea that this was so. I go to the UU church pagan group in my city sometimes, and we are all different and have a great time circling together in our various ways. I am personally very eclectic, I serve Goddesses from Aphrodite to Kali, and Siva is the primary God that I talk to. I do occasionally run into very narrow minded and stupid pagans, but I know plenty of the same in other religions as well. I would very much like to see and read more about  the basis for HS's opinion. Could you maybe post articles or quotes that support your thesis?

I run into these pagans all the time. Probably because this is a serious hot button issue for most Pagans who are not of some Wiccan-based religion. You see it in many of the current pagan authors who have all pagans following the Rede or the Wheel or some other Wiccan influenced belief. You see it in many pagans who have never spoken to a Recon or who have any idea that there are religions that have nothing to do with Wicca.

I suspect if it's not a trigger, you may not notice it as much, but it is honestly everywhere.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 11, 2007, 10:43:01 pm »

There are a huge number of 101 books that try very hard to make every Pagan religion into Wicca.

There was the whole PUC attempts to define Paganism (as, basically, Wicca) documented on our old Delphiforums board.

All the nonsense about "Pagans following the Rede" and celebrating the Wheel of the Year.

interesting, I guess I don't read 101 books, but it makes sense that they would be in them.
I would love to read the PUC stuff, could you maybe post a link?
I don't know anybody but wicca and wicca flavor witches who follow the rede. But I can see how there might be people who think that every pagan does.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: October 11, 2007, 10:56:57 pm »

interesting, I guess I don't read 101 books, but it makes sense that they would be in them.
I would love to read the PUC stuff, could you maybe post a link?
I don't know anybody but wicca and wicca flavor witches who follow the rede. But I can see how there might be people who think that every pagan does.

I don't read them either, but that's one of the primary places you find this nonsense.

This is probably one of the hottest hot button issues you'll find on TC. A whole lot of us have been informed we're not Pagan because we don't do X. Few things are guaranteed to piss most of us off faster than that.

I don't have a link handy to the old PUC discussions, but I know Star or Shadow does, so I suspect one of them will come in with it.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #8: October 12, 2007, 12:01:15 am »

and we are all different and have a great time circling together in our various ways.

'Circling' is actually one of those concepts the essay is discussing.  There are many pagan religions with no connection to circles in their worship, but everyone knows the term from the wicca=pagan mindmeld and expects all pagans to be comfortable with it.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: October 12, 2007, 12:12:23 am »

I don't have a link handy to the old PUC discussions, but I know Star or Shadow does, so I suspect one of them will come in with it.

Ask and ye shall recieve...  The two most relevant threads:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/CUSTOM7999/messages?msg=5924.1
http://forums.delphiforums.com/CUSTOM7999/messages?msg=5945.1

The first one is the actual PUC thread; the second one is the "New Definition of Paganism" thread that kind of tied into the whole situation too.  It may also be worth reading the essay I posted in this folder about why we're touchy about defining Paganism; it's not specifically about the whole homogenization thing, but some of the reasons why we're touchy are related to the issue.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: October 12, 2007, 08:28:42 am »

'Circling' is actually one of those concepts the essay is discussing.

Exactly the problem, Pagan religions not related to Wicca generally do not worship in circles, do not call quarters, do cakes and wine, or any number of other similar things in their worship. Too many Pagans just assume that all Pagans do these things -- or worse, claim that those who do not are not really Pagan.

Randall
rose
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 12, 2007, 09:37:59 am »

'Circling' is actually one of those concepts the essay is discussing.  There are many pagan religions with no connection to circles in their worship, but everyone knows the term from the wicca=pagan mindmeld and expects all pagans to be comfortable with it.

Absent

"Attempting to water down religion through statements made to unify those that have no desire to be unified only defeats the purpose of religion and turns it into yet another social club."

It would be really useful if the article used specific examples of this idea, as in Marilyn's post, instead of a broad statement like the one above from the article. I have not heard any such statements in my  extremely limited pagan social life, but would like to hear more of examples, more specifically, so I can judge for myself.
Thanks for posting the links, will read them later on Smiley

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,

The power of Fire,

The power of Air,

And the power of Earth,

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 12, 2007, 11:25:25 am »

I run into these pagans all the time. Probably because this is a serious hot button issue for most Pagans who are not of some Wiccan-based religion. You see it in many of the current pagan authors who have all pagans following the Rede or the Wheel or some other Wiccan influenced belief. You see it in many pagans who have never spoken to a Recon or who have any idea that there are religions that have nothing to do with Wicca.

I suspect if it's not a trigger, you may not notice it as much, but it is honestly everywhere.

It's not limited to inside the Pagan community (using the term loosely here) either considering how many times I run into the whole Pagan = Wiccan thing amongst people generally.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #13: October 12, 2007, 11:30:34 am »

It's not limited to inside the Pagan community (using the term loosely here) either considering how many times I run into the whole Pagan = Wiccan thing amongst people generally.

I think it's slightly more understandable in the general population, though, since Wicca is the most visible Pagan religion at the moment and a lot of info does (incorrectly) equate the two.  It's still not correct, of course, but I tend to give the general populace a little more of a "they may legitimately not know any better" break.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 12, 2007, 11:45:49 am »

The attitude really is everywhere.  This march my SO and I were at a Pagan Pride thing that included a vendor fair.  We were vending.  There was a lot of pressure for us to be involved in what was a very Wiccan ritual.  His grandfather trained him in Shamanism from a Cherokee perspective.  I am very far removed from Wiccan.  It was a nice ritual, but had no personal religious significance to either of us.  We did not appreciate the pressure to join or the annoyance when we just kept a respectful distance and silence. 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.