The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 12, 2021, 07:14:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2021, 07:14:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pseudo History, Fluff Bunnies and Wicca  (Read 52197 times)
Hufflee
Master Member
Last Login:September 17, 2011, 03:46:48 pm
United States United States

Religion: Spiritual Witch with an Hermetic bent

Blog entries (0)

hufflee Jennifer Lee Huffman who has time?

Ignore
« Reply #225: July 01, 2010, 01:44:42 am »

I don't even know what to put in as a starting quote so I'm going to kind of fly solo here....... Jenette, wise as always.....Darkhawk....you make very valid points.......

Aithne, I promise you that here, In The Cauldron,  no one is trying to make you feel inferior, or make it seem like how you feel is wrong......they're just trying to give you some perspective, different perspectives, on what YOU posted. Some unasked for advice  (from me)- take a step back, BREATHE. Look for help or new information in the answers you received, not condemnation. I can promise you that most people here could care less what you call yourself or how you practice. The ones that do care and make a big deal about it...(if there are any) ignore them. If they have nothing else to worry about but how you practice your religion, whatever you call it, they probably don't have any true sense of reality anyway. Look to The Cauldron as a sounding board. Somewhere to get your thoughts out and see what others think, not a place to verify your religious beliefs. Believe in yourself ( deep down, for real belief ) and you won't worry about what anyone else thinks. You'll be happier for it!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:50:25 am by Hufflee, Reason: incorrect quotation marks » Logged

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish blood is laughing)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #226: July 01, 2010, 08:03:08 am »

I can promise you that most people here could care less what you call yourself or how you practice. The ones that do care and make a big deal about it...(if there are any) ignore them. If they have nothing else to worry about but how you practice your religion, whatever you call it, they probably don't have any true sense of reality anyway.

I disagree.

I do think that people care, and I think that it's perfectly valid for them to be concerned.  (By which I don't mean to take sides--what I mean to say here is that, especially on a forum geared toward discussion and debate, I think that expressing a dissenting opinion on any topic is perfectly acceptable.)  What I don't think is that anyone intended to hurt Aithne personally.  I think that what most people in this thread have been discussing is the concept of what things are important in Wicca, and at what point one crosses a line beyond which what they're doing is no longer Wicca.  That happens to take the form of discussing Aithne's personal example, but it doesn't mean that the entire conversation is meant as some sort of personal judgement on Aithne.

I know that in situations like this where a personal example is the focus of the discussion, these sorts of discussions can be painful and frustrating.  However, I don't think that means that they shouldn't happen, and it certainly doesn't mean that the people interested in having these discussions have no true sense of reality.  Words--words such as "Wicca"--do have meaning.  Exploring what that meaning is, where the boundaries of that meaning lie, and what to do when they are crossed, is an important thing to do.  These are important conversations to have, because they allow us to communicate better and to understand ourselves and each other better.  (It's also worth noting that, again, this is what we do here, and thus these sorts of discussions should be anticipated whether you agree that they are good discussions to have or not.)

If one gets too frustrated to listen and participate in a constructive way, then the conversation is no longer doing that person any good and yes, it should be dropped and ignored at that point.  But until that limit is reached, actually I think it's important not to ignore it, to hear what other people have to say about the topic and consider whether they might have a good point.  And maybe they don't--but then again, maybe they do, and if you don't listen you'll never know which it is.  Listening doesn't obligate a person to agree, but I think that the listening is important.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #227: July 01, 2010, 01:21:34 pm »

Listening doesn't obligate a person to agree, but I think that the listening is important.

What she said.

AntlerandHerb.com
Hufflee
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #228: July 01, 2010, 04:21:20 pm »

I disagree.

I do think that people care, and I think that it's perfectly valid for them to be concerned.  (By which I don't mean to take sides--what I mean to say here is that, especially on a forum geared toward discussion and debate, I think that expressing a dissenting opinion on any topic is perfectly acceptable.)  What I don't think is that anyone intended to hurt Aithne personally.  I think that what most people in this thread have been discussing is the concept of what things are important in Wicca, and at what point one crosses a line beyond which what they're doing is no longer Wicca.  That happens to take the form of discussing Aithne's personal example, but it doesn't mean that the entire conversation is meant as some sort of personal judgement on Aithne.

I know that in situations like this where a personal example is the focus of the discussion, these sorts of discussions can be painful and frustrating.  However, I don't think that means that they shouldn't happen, and it certainly doesn't mean that the people interested in having these discussions have no true sense of reality.  Words--words such as "Wicca"--do have meaning.  Exploring what that meaning is, where the boundaries of that meaning lie, and what to do when they are crossed, is an important thing to do.  These are important conversations to have, because they allow us to communicate better and to understand ourselves and each other better.  (It's also worth noting that, again, this is what we do here, and thus these sorts of discussions should be anticipated whether you agree that they are good discussions to have or not.)

If one gets too frustrated to listen and participate in a constructive way, then the conversation is no longer doing that person any good and yes, it should be dropped and ignored at that point.  But until that limit is reached, actually I think it's important not to ignore it, to hear what other people have to say about the topic and consider whether they might have a good point.  And maybe they don't--but then again, maybe they do, and if you don't listen you'll never know which it is.  Listening doesn't obligate a person to agree, but I think that the listening is important.

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change-Unknown

"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

Hufflee
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #229: July 01, 2010, 04:41:56 pm »

I disagree.

I do think that people care, and I think that it's perfectly valid for them to be concerned.  (By which I don't mean to take sides--what I mean to say here is that, especially on a forum geared toward discussion and debate, I think that expressing a dissenting opinion on any topic is perfectly acceptable.) 

I agree that they might care if  Aithne were set about professing to the world that she practiced the only "true" Wicca. I have to say that I don't think they are concerned about how she personally practices or what she calls it as long as she's not telling everyone else that they're wrong.

What I don't think is that anyone intended to hurt Aithne personally. 

More to the point of what I was trying to say, albeit perhaps a bit too harshly. A point I was trying to make since Aithne seemed genuinely upset is that she need not justify her practice to anyone (except maybe a teacher, if that's applicable).

Of course debate is a major element in this forum. It's hard to learn otherwise. I just meant for Aithne not to take to heart if someone else's opinion clashes with hers, and if there's no understanding between the two, to let it go. You can't make everyone happy

(Sorry Aithne, for talking about you like you're not here.....just trying to make myself clearer, something I did poorly the first time around Smiley

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #230: July 01, 2010, 05:45:29 pm »

I agree that they might care if  Aithne were set about professing to the world that she practiced the only "true" Wicca. I have to say that I don't think they are concerned about how she personally practices or what she calls it as long as she's not telling everyone else that they're wrong.

You're missing the point.  Nobody suggested that anything about her practices were wrong, simply that they very likely have the wrong name.  There's a galaxy of difference between the two assertions.

More to the point of what I was trying to say, albeit perhaps a bit too harshly. A point I was trying to make since Aithne seemed genuinely upset is that she need not justify her practice to anyone (except maybe a teacher, if that's applicable).

Again, nobody asked her to justify her practice, just its title.  A title, by the way, other people gave the religion...people who codified and created it.  They do have that right, just like any other religion.

How much can a thing evolve and change before it stops being what it was?  When does a Catholic become a Protestant or a Wiccan become neopagan-with-Wiccan-leanings?  These were the sorts of questions being posed, not "are Aithne's beliefs as good as Wicca?"

Of course debate is a major element in this forum. It's hard to learn otherwise. I just meant for Aithne not to take to heart if someone else's opinion clashes with hers, and if there's no understanding between the two, to let it go.

Well, I agree that feelings became the issue, although they never had much to do with my point.

Brina

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)