The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 23, 2019, 02:10:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 02:10:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help finding Deity  (Read 2960 times)
j9
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 17, 2007, 01:43:01 am
South Africa South Africa

Religion: Neo-Pagan/Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 12, 2007, 02:10:06 am »

I know, this type of thread has probably been made several (million) times before, I do apologize for having to rehash the same dilemma that you have probably already heard, but after about a month of trying on my own I really just need some outside input…

Okay, let me start by saying I am one of those people who has mostly subscribed to the whole poly-but-monotheistic approach.  That many different Gods/Goddesses are all personifications of a ‘The’ God/Goddess which is the personification of Divinity as I choose to call it.  I’m not saying this is ‘right’ or ‘wrong’, I’m not saying anything really, just that is the way I have seen things for a long time.  It kind of helps because I am the type of person who likes to mix and match sometimes, so if a specific God/Goddess matches my purpose I appeal the Him/Her.  I don’t know if I will one day change this approach of not though.

I have for a long time, since I first started learning about witchcraft/paganism about 7 years ago, wanted to find a patron God/Goddess, or at least a group of deities to worship specifically.  I found myself always most drawn to the Celtic Pantheon.  But for some reason these deities always feel more abstract to me then the Greek Gods/Goddesses.

Most of all, though, I have always felt a pull towards The Morrigan.  Honestly this scared me a little at first.  I was coming from a Christian background, and my only references at that stage were SRW and other such fluffy information from the internet.  So the idea that I could be most drawn to a Dark Goddess kinda freaked me out a little bit.  So I pulled back I guess you could say, and I held off for a long time on forming any kind of bond with a specific deity.  But now I find again, once I am a little more mature about things, that I lack, miss a relationship with Gods/Goddesses.  And The Morrigan is still there in the back of my mind it seems, but I worry that maybe I have waited too long...

I worship nature, in my own way I guess, some days I just feel a pulse in the air, and there is life all around and I just feel surrounded by ‘the magic of the earth’ (sorry if that makes me sound incredibly childish).

So now to may actual question:  What do I do? How does one find what deities would suit you best, and how does one make contact with them?  I have tried asking whatever Gods/Goddesses I am meant to reach to contact me in my dreams, but I have not had any dream that could be taken as a message of sign.  I am only now trying to learn to relax, never even mind meditation, it is probably one of the hardest things I find, so my attempts at contacting them through that have been non-existent. 

Please could someone help me? I just need a bit of advice. 

Thank you everyone!

((hugs))

j9
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 05:43:22 am by Star, Reason: Fixing typo in subject » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

elaoin
Journeyman
Last Login:January 16, 2008, 08:00:32 pm
United States United States

Religion: Seido no Gijo Hei

I'm not a hamster, and life isn't a hamster wheel!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 12, 2007, 05:18:58 am »

Most of all, though, I have always felt a pull towards The Morrigan.  Honestly this scared me a little at first.  I was coming from a Christian background, and my only references at that stage were SRW and other such fluffy information from the internet.  So the idea that I could be most drawn to a Dark Goddess kinda freaked me out a little bit.  So I pulled back I guess you could say, and I held off for a long time on forming any kind of bond with a specific deity.  But now I find again, once I am a little more mature about things, that I lack, miss a relationship with Gods/Goddesses.  And The Morrigan is still there in the back of my mind it seems, but I worry that maybe I have waited too long...

<snip>

So now to may actual question:  What do I do? How does one find what deities would suit you best, and how does one make contact with them?  I have tried asking whatever Gods/Goddesses I am meant to reach to contact me in my dreams, but I have not had any dream that could be taken as a message of sign.  I am only now trying to learn to relax, never even mind meditation, it is probably one of the hardest things I find, so my attempts at contacting them through that have been non-existent.

This is just my personal experience with Morrigan, mind you, but it's something She made fairly clear to me tonight. If I'm honest about it, there is no "too late". I was feeling about the same as you regarding my relationship with Her, though I had already made a space for Her in my life. But as I was reading your post, specifically the question of being too late, I (finally!) heard a little snort and something like "It's never too late if it's real."

Y'know, it's funny. I was about to just head to bed and I clicked on this link more out of reflex (oh look, something new *click*) than because I felt I had anything to really offer. But that's a good thing - it's given me some peace of mind that Morrigan isn't too ticked off at me, and that She's still waiting for me to just do what I need to already. I get the feeling She's good at waiting when She needs to be.

As for contacting Them... Well, I usually just start talking. (Another good thing about reading this thread - I've been reminded what I need to do.) And if there's something that needs to be said, They'll pipe up. I don't do meditation or relaxing mentally very well either, so I just start ranting with the understanding They can and will derail me any time They want. I'm not saying it'll work for everyone, but it's still something to try.

Well, seems my divine inspiration is giving away to tiredness. I wish you the best of luck. Oh, and Morrigan isn't nearly as bad as they all make Her out to be. There's actually quite a few folks around here who have dealt with Her longer than I who would love to share stories, I'm sure. Wink Thanks for a lightbulb thread. Cheesy
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 12, 2007, 05:34:11 am »

* snip *

I have for a long time, since I first started learning about witchcraft/paganism about 7 years ago, wanted to find a patron God/Goddess, or at least a group of deities to worship specifically.  I found myself always most drawn to the Celtic Pantheon.  But for some reason these deities always feel more abstract to me then the Greek Gods/Goddesses.

* snip *

I worship nature, in my own way I guess, some days I just feel a pulse in the air, and there is life all around and I just feel surrounded by ‘the magic of the earth’ (sorry if that makes me sound incredibly childish).

* snip *

j9

I was also drawn to the Celtic deities first, long ago, because of my heritage. The connection just didn't seem to be there, though.

I thought to myself, "I'm not Greek", but the truth is that Hellenic values are the bedrock upon which our Western civilizations are based. The poet Shelley wasn't kidding. In a cultural sense, we really are all Greeks. This is the why the Deathless Ones resonate with so many of us who aren't of Greek ancestry.

As for patron deities, I think the harder you try to search, the more elusive the goal will become. I honestly feel that a God or Goddess chooses you, not the other way around. Not everyone has a patron deity, in my opinion.

If Morrigu chooses you, well and good. But I warn you that like any deity, She has goals and desires of Her own. Your personal fulfillment and spiritual development might not be one of them. They don't call them Dark Goddesses for nothing. My advice is simply to remind you to be careful.

Sometimes the Gods bring heartache and pain into our lives, too. Cry

As for feeling the "pulse in the air", that's not childish at all. It happens to me whenever I'm deep in the forest.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 05:46:27 am by Aetius, Reason: Stuff I forgot to talk about » Logged

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 12, 2007, 09:59:40 am »

I found myself always most drawn to the Celtic Pantheon.  But for some reason these deities always feel more abstract to me then the Greek Gods/Goddesses.

I'm curious about why the Celtic deities feel abstract to you.  Is it because you don't know much about them?

My own evolution happened kinda like this:

1.  Overwhelming urge over a long period of time to learn about celtic history, archeology, art, mythology, etc.
2.  LOTS of reading.
3.  Thinking, "Nah, none of these deities really fit me."
4.  LOTS more reading -- and along the way, starting to focus more on Ireland, and then more on Brighid.
5.  Thinking, "Hey!  Why am I drawn to the material on Brighid?  Oh, THAT'S why."
6.  Developing a relationship with Her.

It's not something that usually happens over night.  Although you'll hear people on TC talking about being "thwapped" or "godbothered" by a particular deity, it's usually a longer-term process, sometimes pretty subtle.  It takes a good while sometimes to A) figure out what's going on, B) figure out WHO is there, and C) figure out what, if anything, you're going to do about it.

Just my 2 cents, FWIW.  YMMY.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 12, 2007, 02:32:32 pm »

Morrigu is not bad to work with at all HOWEVER she can be very demanding. Scratch that. She IS very demanding. She currently has me building my own religion from scratch, and I just got another "assignment" last night involving the moon phases. Not that I am complaining mind you, I truly enjoy the work that I do for her.

If you're going to approach her, be honest. She will hold you to anything you say or commit to, so if you do make a commitment, be prepared to keep it.

gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 12, 2007, 04:18:30 pm »

Well let me say that I wasnt looking.  I got a proverbial THWAP, and by both Brighid and the Morrighan!   

However, upon looking back, I realized They had been around a REALLY long time, especially in the case of Brighid, and I suspect that the Morrighan has been around at least a year or more.  I was just kind of being dense Wink

It isnt too late, honest!  And dont let the Morrighan scare you.  (speaking as one who until VERY recently was running in utter fear of her! LOL.)

She has my dry sense of humor tho, and is even drier, so therefore She is okay Wink

Just dont commit unless you are utterly sure of following through. 

As far as the magick of the earth thing, I describe it as feeling my part in the web of life.  I feel the interconnectedness to everything, my relationship to it, and my part in the universe.  It is truly a cool feeling Smiley  I am thinking it is much the same feeling you are describing anyway!

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
D_LeFae
Last Login:October 12, 2007, 04:50:09 pm

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 12, 2007, 04:47:17 pm »

Well let me say that I wasnt looking.  I got a proverbial THWAP, and by both Brighid and the Morrighan!   

However, upon looking back, I realized They had been around a REALLY long time, especially in the case of Brighid, and I suspect that the Morrighan has been around at least a year or more.  I was just kind of being dense Wink

It isnt too late, honest!  And dont let the Morrighan scare you.  (speaking as one who until VERY recently was running in utter fear of her! LOL.)

She has my dry sense of humor tho, and is even drier, so therefore She is okay Wink

Just dont commit unless you are utterly sure of following through. 

As far as the magick of the earth thing, I describe it as feeling my part in the web of life.  I feel the interconnectedness to everything, my relationship to it, and my part in the universe.  It is truly a cool feeling Smiley  I am thinking it is much the same feeling you are describing anyway!

Gina
D_LeFae
Last Login:October 12, 2007, 04:50:09 pm

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 12, 2007, 04:50:10 pm »

I know, this type of thread has probably been made several (million) times before, I do apologize for having to rehash the same dilemma that you have probably already heard, but after about a month of trying on my own I really just need some outside input…

Okay, let me start by saying I am one of those people who has mostly subscribed to the whole poly-but-monotheistic approach.  That many different Gods/Goddesses are all personifications of a ‘The’ God/Goddess which is the personification of Divinity as I choose to call it.  I’m not saying this is ‘right’ or ‘wrong’, I’m not saying anything really, just that is the way I have seen things for a long time.  It kind of helps because I am the type of person who likes to mix and match sometimes, so if a specific God/Goddess matches my purpose I appeal the Him/Her.  I don’t know if I will one day change this approach of not though.

Please could someone help me? I just need a bit of advice. 

Thank you everyone!

((hugs))

j9

Hi,

As you can see by my name (D'LeFae) I understand exactly where you are.  Do not be afraid.  Your heart always has the right answer as does your intuition.

I was drawn to Morgan LeFay from the beginning and always will be connected to her.  She has many facets.  Dont we all?    If you want to talk more contact me....

BB,
D'LeFae

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)