The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2019, 04:44:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 04:44:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Religious Roles  (Read 6496 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 12, 2007, 11:35:01 am »

I've been doing some path work stuff, and I've come across a spot much like one that the RCR SIG hit for a little bit- the idea of roles, or specialized paths, in religion. The ones that always come up are warrior and poet, and of course the priest/ess (in which sense I mean "servant" of the gods), the ritual leader, the healer, the artisan. But what other roles do you associate with religion? What roles do you see intertwined? (eg, poet & historian are essentially the same role to the Celts, but not necessarily for other paths.)

The main roles I could come up with are poet, artisan, historian, healer, diviner, seeker mentor, group leader, ritual leader, and hermit (though who really does that these days?)- what else would you add?

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 12, 2007, 12:48:32 pm »

(snip)
But what other roles do you associate with religion? What roles do you see intertwined? (eg, poet & historian are essentially the same role to the Celts, but not necessarily for other paths.)

The main roles I could come up with are poet, artisan, historian, healer, diviner, seeker mentor, group leader, ritual leader, and hermit (though who really does that these days?)- what else would you add?

Checks to see that thread is in a general area, not Celtic Recon.

Singer (cantor for Jews), although you might consider that either poet, ritual leader or a blending of the two.

How about sacred text / myth expert? I'm thinking of the Rabbi's role as lead explainer of the Torah and one who has to be familiar with the arguements on both sides of each passage.

Although I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding what roles you are looking for.
I'm not sure I see artisian as a religious role. or warrior. So I"m a bit confused
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 12, 2007, 12:52:14 pm »

Checks to see that thread is in a general area, not Celtic Recon.

Singer (cantor for Jews), although you might consider that either poet, ritual leader or a blending of the two.

How about sacred text / myth expert? I'm thinking of the Rabbi's role as lead explainer of the Torah and one who has to be familiar with the arguements on both sides of each passage.

Although I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding what roles you are looking for.
I'm not sure I see artisian as a religious role. or warrior. So I"m a bit confused

For a religion that honors a war deity, a warrior could be a religious role; for others, obviously not. I'm trying to reach across various ideas of religion and religious roles here. Sacred text expert I personally would probably lump with poet/historian, but it's good to remember that not everyone would. Sorry that I was confusing! Undecided

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 12, 2007, 02:50:04 pm »

For a religion that honors a war deity, a warrior could be a religious role; for others, obviously not.

It is for me, definitely. In essence, it's one of MY roles, the other being healer, apparently diviner, and artisan. I'm going to have to be a leader eventually.

Warrior and leader definitely go together. Smiley

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 12, 2007, 06:26:34 pm »

As a devotee of Heru-Wer (and Others), I agree heartily.  Smiley

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: October 12, 2007, 08:10:30 pm »

Just to quibble - they CAN go together.  They don't have to.

One can lead without being a warrior.  It's just tricky. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 12, 2007, 08:35:38 pm »

That's true.  I thought about that after I posted.  Smiley

Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 12, 2007, 08:56:45 pm »

The ones I can think of right now are guardian/protector and stranger/outsider, since they're my roles sometimes.  (Singer is another of mine.)  I think wanderer is sometimes combined with stranger/outsider, but not always.

Betty  Smiley
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 12, 2007, 09:02:55 pm »

And one can be a warrior without leading as well. It's just that the warrior types tend to lead, and vice-versa.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2019, 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: October 13, 2007, 12:35:02 am »

And one can be a warrior without leading as well. It's just that the warrior types tend to lead, and vice-versa.
I would (sorta) disagree.  What Warriors tend to do is whatever needs doing, that no one is willing/able to do - which means everything from leadership to taking out stinky garbage is imposed on them by necessity and their natures.  That, and Warriors tend to know where they're going (in the immediate sense, if not the long-term, and not necessarily that it's the right place to go, just that it beats the heck out of milling around with one's thumb up one's... er, this convo seems to be bringing out the Old Soldier in me); this decisiveness means they often pick up a train of less-decisive folks, whether they want to or not - they weren't actually leading, they were just moving purposefully, and others followed.

It's a very fine distinction - often, a near-meaningless one - but most Warriors of my acquaintance would insist on it being made.  That's not a criticism of the Warriors in this convo for not making it, though; I suspect it's a measure of how well you've come to terms with "leadership, like shit, happens".

The Warrior is the one who hollers, "Lead, follow, or get the @#$%&* out of the way!"... and everybody else picks option 2 or 3.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 13, 2007, 10:40:40 am »

I would (sorta) disagree.  What Warriors tend to do is whatever needs doing, that no one is willing/able to do - which means everything from leadership to taking out stinky garbage is imposed on them by necessity and their natures.  That, and Warriors tend to know where they're going (in the immediate sense, if not the long-term, and not necessarily that it's the right place to go, just that it beats the heck out of milling around with one's thumb up one's... er, this convo seems to be bringing out the Old Soldier in me); this decisiveness means they often pick up a train of less-decisive folks, whether they want to or not - they weren't actually leading, they were just moving purposefully, and others followed.

It's a very fine distinction - often, a near-meaningless one - but most Warriors of my acquaintance would insist on it being made.  That's not a criticism of the Warriors in this convo for not making it, though; I suspect it's a measure of how well you've come to terms with "leadership, like shit, happens".

The Warrior is the one who hollers, "Lead, follow, or get the @#$%&* out of the way!"... and everybody else picks option 2 or 3.

You're right, but I wish you weren't. Tongue Actually, you're spot on. *eyes the stinky garbage AND her unwanted train of indecisive followers*

And yes, leadership, like shit, happens. Tongue I have had leadership thrust upon me my entire life....even though I've been *trying* to pass it off to someone else for a good long while now LMAO it doesn't seem to be working. I guess I have to accept that my position in life is to be a leader of some sort or another at all times.

Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 13, 2007, 02:06:19 pm »

What Warriors tend to do is whatever needs doing, that no one is willing/able to do - which means everything from leadership to taking out stinky garbage is imposed on them by necessity and their natures.

That reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend of mine years ago about Warrior path stuff.  That's where my ethic of "doing what is necessary" comes from.  (Ok, so I put it in my novel first, but like a lot of that stuff, it's mine too.)  And of course further ethics are needed, but I find it to be a good place to start.

That, and Warriors tend to know where they're going (in the immediate sense, if not the long-term, and not necessarily that it's the right place to go, just that it beats the heck out of milling around with one's thumb up one's...

That's how it's been the past few days for me.  Once I got my head of my ..., that is.  Wink

For me, my base idea of my Warrior path didn't necessarily involve leadership, but it ends up in there anyway.  Smiley I'm pretty comfortable with this but don't always want to admit that to myself.  (I still have this odd non-hierarchical streak that makes very little sense to me - I think I sometimes judge myself by the standards of not-my-religion.)

Garnet
Adept Member

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 13, 2007, 02:07:24 pm »

And yes, leadership, like shit, happens. Tongue I have had leadership thrust upon me my entire life....even though I've been *trying* to pass it off to someone else for a good long while now LMAO it doesn't seem to be working.

I know the feeling.  Been there, done that...and ended up starting the second version of the Department.

Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 13, 2007, 03:11:23 pm »

I know the feeling.  Been there, done that...and ended up starting the second version of the Department.

LOL

For me it went something like this....

Looking for a religion whose beliefs fit mine...looking...looking...not finding...working out what those beliefs are...writing them out...writing essays...creating rituals...creating code of honor..creating...oh crap...realizing I was now looking at Pagan seminary schools...thinking about starting a group....oh look I'm leading again Roll Eyes

Or how about: trying to cut back on computer time...trying...trying...somehow ending up with staff positions on *counts* three...four...forums and that's after giving up two of them to someone else.

Being offered assistant manager position after only 6 months of work (and declining it, thank GOD).

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2019, 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: October 13, 2007, 05:16:09 pm »

You're right, but I wish you weren't.

That reminds me of a conversation I had....

Man, maybe I need a Cafe-Press shop, to cover all these t-shirt needs.... Smiley

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)