The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 31, 2023, 06:31:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 31, 2023, 06:31:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gods and Godessess We Love and Fear  (Read 15299 times)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm
United States United States

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: October 15, 2007, 02:45:49 pm »

I try to give the proper respect to all of the gods and I typically like most of the deities in my pantheon.

I admit that I was intimidated by Hekate at first.  It's probably because she chose to reveal Herself in a slightly creepy dream.  I researched Her a bit and tried to communicate with Her and She is now one of my patrons.

I never liked Ares but recently He has been hanging around a lot.  In general I prefer to avoid conflict so his presence kind of unnerved me.  I asked him why he is around me and he said something along the lines of "to help control your anger.  Letting it fester inside of you is very unhealthy."

Go figure.

There are some gods that many would find scary that I adore (Hera, Persephone and Dionysus comes to mind).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #16: October 15, 2007, 04:03:30 pm »

I never liked Ares but recently He has been hanging around a lot. 

There are some gods that many would find scary that I adore (Hera, Persephone and Dionysus comes to mind).

As a member of Ares' fanclub I have to tell you to give him a chance.

Just remember if you tell him bull, he'll let you know, but you have to call him on his too otherwise he'll just bully you; and he will push your buttons. It's what he does. Expect him to tease, but tell him when it gets personal and he'll draw the line.

Also read in between the lines, if he says "Get off your ass and f$@#ing do something, you lazy..." What he really means is, "Sweetheart I know your tired, but you need to get up because I have something planned for you." Tact he has not...

Edit: I should write an Ares for Dummies Book

As for Hera, Persephone, and Dionysos...

Hera - Like her, but haven't spent a lot of time with her...
      Persephone - Love. Super Love.
      Dionysos - We're arguing right now. I just don't know what we're arguing for, guess he'll tell me eventually...
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #17: October 15, 2007, 05:41:34 pm »

As a member of Ares' fanclub I have to tell you to give him a chance.

I really need to talk to Ares again sometimes soon.

I ADORE Persephone, and Hera as well. Cheesy

Don't know Dyonisos, not entirely sure why everyone seems to be afraid of him though. Huh

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: October 15, 2007, 05:46:03 pm »

Don't know Dyonisos, not entirely sure why everyone seems to be afraid of him though. Huh

I don't know either because he is rather fun to be around.

I think another poster said it's because he represents the uncivilized and primal.  But my philosophy is if you don't indulge and party with a bunch of friends every once and a while, you will go crazy.

My Spiritual Blog
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: October 15, 2007, 05:53:57 pm »

Gods I fear but don't have any involvement with? That's tricky. I guess I do feel some discomfort with Loki, and the Orisha.

Why the Orisha? 

I'm just curious because I have relationships with some of them. 

I was terrified of Oya at first but that was more I never thought they'd be interested in me and I didn't like the animal sacrifice thing than knowing anything about them themselves. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 15, 2007, 05:55:12 pm »

I think another poster said it's because he represents the uncivilized and primal.  But my philosophy is if you don't indulge and party with a bunch of friends every once and a while, you will go crazy.

^
|
|
|

Yea, that. Grin

Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: October 15, 2007, 06:07:11 pm »

I don't know either because he is rather fun to be around.

I totally get it.  He's been on my mind a lot lately and, on occassion, that has scared the heck out of me.  And I get the warm fuzzies for most of the "darker" deities (f'ex Kali, Odin, Sekhmet.)

There's a lot more to Dionysos than drunkeness, but even going with the most obvious, anyone who's been around a violent drunk is going to be a little intimidated.  Dionysos seems to have been reduced in many people's minds to the "happy drunk"  a la Fantasia (not that I think this is what is going on here) but this seems to be on par with describing Kali as "Earth mother."  Yeah, that could work, but have you thought about what it means?    There's a lot more going on there than just a guy who likes to party.

A lot of his mythology seems to have him insane and killing people.  (Thanks to Hera.)  Or his insane followers ripping people to shreds.  As intellectually fascinating as I find the concept of a "mad god" I'm not sure I will be comfortable putting myself in his hands.

But then, a lot of people think of Aphrodite as "safe" too...  I never got that either.
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #22: October 15, 2007, 07:08:04 pm »

But then, a lot of people think of Aphrodite as "safe" too...  I never got that either.

Aphrodite scares me more than any of the "dark" deities LOL. Isn't she the one who (along with Eris) started the Trojan war?

Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: October 15, 2007, 07:38:15 pm »

* snip *

There's a lot more to Dionysos than drunkeness, but even going with the most obvious, anyone who's been around a violent drunk is going to be a little intimidated.  Dionysos seems to have been reduced in many people's minds to the "happy drunk"  a la Fantasia (not that I think this is what is going on here) but this seems to be on par with describing Kali as "Earth mother."  Yeah, that could work, but have you thought about what it means?    There's a lot more going on there than just a guy who likes to party.

* snip *

That is so true. I revere Dionysos as a deity of the swamp, because the banks of the river near my house have many native grapevines. His power is great. It offers us inspiration and healing. It can help transform our lives for the better.

You don't even need to drink alcohol regularly to be devoted to Dionysos. Alcohol hasn't touched my lips in 18 years, and back then I just never liked it.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: October 15, 2007, 08:00:35 pm »

Aphrodite scares me more than any of the "dark" deities LOL. Isn't she the one who (along with Eris) started the Trojan war?

Yes she was, and if memory serves me right, She and Ares were two of the gods who sided with Troy (I think Apollo and Artemis supported the Trojans as well, but I think Apollo switched sides near the end--it's been a while since I read anything about the Trojan War)

She is one of the scarier goddesses in that she does seem to be very trigger happy.

My Spiritual Blog
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #25: October 15, 2007, 08:16:00 pm »

She is one of the scarier goddesses in that she does seem to be very trigger happy.

Yep. I'd rather a dark scary goddess who I *know* is going to be dark and scary, than a "good" goddess who is going to turn on me at any second.

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: October 15, 2007, 08:42:19 pm »

Yep. I'd rather a dark scary goddess who I *know* is going to be dark and scary, than a "good" goddess who is going to turn on me at any second.
I haven't worked much with Aphrodite (or any gods/esses in fact), but I'll play devil's advocate here because she is one of the deities I have felt drawn to from even before the beginning of this path. It's not so much that she would "turn on you," but it just comes off to me that she gets whatever it is that she wants. And what she wants is apt to change whenever she wants it to. Wink

I can't say that any gods or goddesses have frightened me... the day will probably come, however. lol.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #27: October 15, 2007, 09:47:20 pm »

I haven't worked much with Aphrodite (or any gods/esses in fact), but I'll play devil's advocate here because she is one of the deities I have felt drawn to from even before the beginning of this path. It's not so much that she would "turn on you," but it just comes off to me that she gets whatever it is that she wants. And what she wants is apt to change whenever she wants it to. Wink

Oh yea, I know. LOL most deities are like that, really, IME.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: October 15, 2007, 09:57:06 pm »

Oh yea, I know. LOL most deities are like that, really, IME.

(nods)

Although it seems as though they all have their own agenda that constantly changes.

My Spiritual Blog
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: October 15, 2007, 10:21:36 pm »

Aphrodite definitely has a "darker" side, or at least a fiercer side.  Which actually draws me to Her a bit more.  (I didn't know about this until a few months ago.)  One of my favorite of her epithets is "Summakhia", Ally in War.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)