The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 31, 2023, 05:13:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 31, 2023, 05:13:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gods and Godessess We Love and Fear  (Read 15298 times)
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: October 15, 2007, 11:56:36 pm »

I don't know either because he is rather fun to be around.

I think another poster said it's because he represents the uncivilized and primal.  But my philosophy is if you don't indulge and party with a bunch of friends every once and a while, you will go crazy.

Fun? Hmmmmm.....

Here's the main extent of my experience with Dionysus (it's long and could be rather disturbing to some people):

http://fuego.livejournal.com/603456.html

My other experience with Dionysus involves brief encounters at a festival where lots of people are drunk or on all sorts of drugs you've never heard of, lots and lots of temptation (And I do mean temptation towards some of the more dangerous things), a er, sexually liberal environment, and playing with fire (literally) I wrote a poem about it...I'll have to try and find it.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #31: October 16, 2007, 12:26:53 am »

Aphrodite is one deity I love and fear. Her power is so awesome, and it's not always about hugs and kisses. Sometimes it's dark and destructive, like a madness. She sometimes answers our prayers to teach us, "Be careful what you wish for...".

Funny how I keep seeing ideas pop up here that are in my book.  Cheesy

Dave Pendell did say that the greatest madness is erotic maddness (inspired by Aphrodite and Eros).

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #32: October 16, 2007, 12:43:59 am »

There's a lot more to Dionysos than drunkeness, but even going with the most obvious, anyone who's been around a violent drunk is going to be a little intimidated.  Dionysos seems to have been reduced in many people's minds to the "happy drunk"  a la Fantasia (not that I think this is what is going on here) but this seems to be on par with describing Kali as "Earth mother."  Yeah, that could work, but have you thought about what it means?    There's a lot more going on there than just a guy who likes to party.

This is mostly my UPG, but I see Dionysos more as.. the leader. The one who inspires it, who hands you the drink and knows how much you should have. Kind of like.. the designated driver. Now, you can reach over to that 40 of vodka and pour more in, but its more at your own risk. Maybe you'll be congradulated for being able to handle it, or scolded for trying to be an idiot. And if you pass out and feel like hell the next day, well.. don't say no one didn't warn you. Education I think is an intense MUST in wanting to explore enthogens, and you really have only your self to blame when you run in ignorantly and expect someone to save your ass every time.

But you're right. There is more to him than just the "drunkness" of it all. In ancient Greece, wine was the way in which one would be able to let loose, to free inhibitions. In a ritual context, it would allow a person to be able to contact the gods more easily. And as well to be inspired by divine madness, a direct link to the gods. Not something that can be maintained, of course (even with Dionysos, who had a mortal mother), but its certainly frightening. I've never experienced it yet, and I don't think I'm ready for it yet. Then again, I don't think I'm ready for a lot of things and I have to do them anyways (get a license, get a job, get up before noon, ugh  Grin).

Dionysos is savage; he is meant to be the "foreigness" to the domestic life. Its probably partly the reason why he was considered for a long time to be a late addition to the Hellenic pantheon, until they found his name (or as far as I am aware of) in Linear B. Then again, there is the other side; he is calm and compassionate, and heals the bad madness, the stuff that wants to kill our soul, make us who we are not. I like this article on the subject: the mystery of meilikhios and bakkhios.

I haven't experienced much, but that doesn't stop me from trying. I'll admit I'm scared (I'm scared of talking on the phone to strangers, just imagine what its like with someone in your HEAD! Shocked), but I feel.. called? I don't know. I don't really have words for it. And I'm kind of torn on whether or not I wish I did.

And now. To bed. 4 hours a night is starting to kill me. D:

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #33: October 16, 2007, 07:17:20 am »

Maybe we can just say that all Gods have a darker side just as humans do.  And it is pronounced more in some Gods than others.

But I just got out of bed and the caffeine hasn't had time to set in so I maybe rambling.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #34: October 16, 2007, 08:33:27 am »

Maybe we can just say that all Gods have a darker side just as humans do.  And it is pronounced more in some Gods than others.

I think it's also pronounced in different ways. Through actions or attitude...

Dionysos will tear you apart in the woods, Hermes will steal your stuff, Ares will run you down and kill you, Athena will turn you into stuff, Apollo might flay you alive, and Aphrodite will just ruin you life and leave you miserable and alone the rest of your days... Charming bunch I worship... It's a good thing they're hot...

Teasing... If that was going to disqualify them for worship, the only one I'd have left would be Hephaestus...
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: October 16, 2007, 08:45:18 am »

I think it's also pronounced in different ways. Through actions or attitude...

Dionysos will tear you apart in the woods, Hermes will steal your stuff, Ares will run you down and kill you, Athena will turn you into stuff, Apollo might flay you alive, and Aphrodite will just ruin you life and leave you miserable and alone the rest of your days... Charming bunch I worship... It's a good thing they're hot...

Yes, that is also the case.  Although Athena doesn't seem quite as trigger happy.  Or at least she does get remorseful over some of her smiting (Arachne and Tiresias come to mind)

My Spiritual Blog
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #36: October 16, 2007, 08:54:21 am »

Yes, that is also the case.  Although Athena doesn't seem quite as trigger happy.  Or at least she does get remorseful over some of her smiting (Arachne and Tiresias come to mind)

That's true; and those aren't most of their first reactions, but just keep pushing...

Athena's really sweet, and compassionate. She hung around quite a bit till I devoted myself completely to Apollo. I still haven't seen some of them since then.
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: October 16, 2007, 10:37:56 am »

Yes indeed, the duality of the Gods. Maybe it's just that some of us are more willing to face / acknowledge that darker side of everything? I don't know.
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: October 16, 2007, 10:44:03 am »

Yes indeed, the duality of the Gods. Maybe it's just that some of us are more willing to face / acknowledge that darker side of everything? I don't know.

Yes, we all need to face/acknowledge the darker side so we can get a clearer picture.  Imagine a sheet of unlined paper.  If there is no dark ink to balance out the shear brightness of the paper it is hard to look at/read/whatever you want to put in this space.

My Spiritual Blog
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: October 16, 2007, 10:48:12 am »

Yes, we all need to face/acknowledge the darker side so we can get a clearer picture.  Imagine a sheet of unlined paper.  If there is no dark ink to balance out the shear brightness of the paper it is hard to look at/read/whatever you want to put in this space.

*nods her head*  Nicley put.
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: October 16, 2007, 12:53:58 pm »

In my view - and that of my path - there's "light" and "dark" in everything. The two simply can't exist without the other.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: October 16, 2007, 01:18:39 pm »

In my view - and that of my path - there's "light" and "dark" in everything. The two simply can't exist without the other.
Exactly.  The universe and the gods are far too complicated for false dilemmas.

As for fearing any gods - everyone of them has the potential to scare the **** out of me if the feel its necessary.  Or think it would be funny.  Or whatever.  But I know that if I show them respect and approach them correctly (or politely avoid them as the case may be) the chances are pretty small I'll come to actual harm.

It's like when I look at the ocean:  I am in absolute awe of it's power and beauty.  That won't stop me from getting in the boat to go fishing, or rolling up my pants and wading on the beach.  But I'm not going to just dive in unless I've had a lot of preparation, and even then, I know the risk I'm taking.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #42: October 16, 2007, 02:57:31 pm »

Yepyep!!

Honestly, the way my path sees it, and the way I see it...you cannot properly honor any deity or really any*thing* without honoring all facets of it. That means, in order to properly honor life, you must honor death and understand the importance of death to life. In order to appreciate comfort and joy, you have to understand pain and heartache.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)