The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 24, 2020, 05:24:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 05:24:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 21st Century Temple  (Read 8896 times)
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 13, 2007, 09:24:10 pm »

I sometimes wonder what a modern Hellenic temple would look like, if situated in a northern climate. Romantics might imagine something that looks like the Parthenon, but I am wary of anything with high long-term operating costs. Years of experience in a struggling mainline Christian church in a small town, have given me an appreciation of the realities of maintaining a small religious institution with a limited annual budget.

The mental picture I have, has a shrine housing the holy images at the western end of the structure on the ground floor. The doors would be very ornately decorated, and the architecture would draw the worshippers' eyes toward them somehow.

The largest room on the ground floor would be the congregational worship area, which would stretch from the doors of the shrine to the purification area at the eastern end of the building. The congregational worship area would have a wall of windows on the south side, to capture the precious Winter sun and reduce heating costs. The roof would extend outward on the south side, to shade the window wall from the high Summer sun and reducing cooling costs.

A sacred hearth would be located on the north wall of the congregational worship area, which would have no heat-bleeding north side windows. An altar would be located somewhere near the center of this room.

An office for the temple keeper would also be on the north side, to take advantage of natural lighting and allow a responsible person to oversee worshippers (or the curious) who enter the congregational worship area.

The purification area would occupy the eastern end of the structure, near the entrance. I envision two sinks, and at least one vat of lustral water.

Stairs leading to the basement level could be near the entrance, along the north wall. The east wall could have a large sunrise-facing window and a small shrine to Eos, or a large stained glass work depicting an image of the temple's deity.

Downstairs, I would put a kitchen and a congregational eating area (great for fundraising suppers like the Christians have). A small shrine to the Underworld deities might also be put downstairs, away from the eating area. Bathrooms and storage closets would also be downstairs.

Does anyone have any more ideas or criticisms? It would be cool to refine this concept, even if it only gets built in my dreams.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 09:26:57 pm by Aetius, Reason: substitute \'casual visitors\' with \'worshippers\' » Logged

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 18, 2007, 04:02:59 pm »

Does anyone have any more ideas or criticisms? It would be cool to refine this concept, even if it only gets built in my dreams.

That sounds like a great idea.

In my climate (south Tejas), I'd probably build a temple much like my posse's building.

Two small rooms; one kitchen, one meeting room, and then a large open patio. Though I'd probably cover the posts for the patio with plaster "columns" and add a few touches that'd make it a little more "greek".

Here in SA I doubt there's enough Hellenes or even un-loco pagans in general to make a church. Though it had crossed my mind, but I'm too young to undertake such a project on my own. If I did I'd open it for everyone; wiccans, pagan-flavors, holistic healers, etc. And just have two meetings a month to talk about personal thoughts, experiences, etc.
Aetius
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 18, 2007, 06:54:42 pm »

That sounds like a great idea.

In my climate (south Tejas), I'd probably build a temple much like my posse's building.

Two small rooms; one kitchen, one meeting room, and then a large open patio. Though I'd probably cover the posts for the patio with plaster "columns" and add a few touches that'd make it a little more "greek".

Here in SA I doubt there's enough Hellenes or even un-loco pagans in general to make a church. Though it had crossed my mind, but I'm too young to undertake such a project on my own. If I did I'd open it for everyone; wiccans, pagan-flavors, holistic healers, etc. And just have two meetings a month to talk about personal thoughts, experiences, etc.

Your idea sounds pretty cool too!

Sharing the building with other non-Abrahammic religious groups would probably be a financial necessity, but I think it would please the Gods too.

The only group I'd exclude would be the Satanists. Who needs that baggage? Besides, in a Bizarro World sort of way, their religious worldview is more like Christianity than anything...just an exactly reversed mirror image of it.

Thanks for your input, Aionia! I appreciate it.

I can dream about building a temple, anyway.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 18, 2007, 08:51:27 pm »

The only group I'd exclude would be the Satanists. Who needs that baggage? Besides, in a Bizarro World sort of way, their religious worldview is more like Christianity than anything...just an exactly reversed mirror image of it.

I don't know.  I think I'd say that if they wanted to follow the same rules as everyone else, they get the same benefits.

I don't agree with their philosophy, but if I excluded everyone I disagreed with ...... Cheesy

(and at least LaVeyan Satanism really ISN'T reverse Christianity).

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Aetius
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 18, 2007, 09:52:28 pm »

I don't know.  I think I'd say that if they wanted to follow the same rules as everyone else, they get the same benefits.

I don't agree with their philosophy, but if I excluded everyone I disagreed with ...... Cheesy

(and at least LaVeyan Satanism really ISN'T reverse Christianity).

I was just going by the name, and what I'd heard. I've never been terribly interested in Satanism.

I keep imagining them as these dudes who wear high-collared black capes, and spend hours in front of a mirror practicing their evil laugh.  Cheesy

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 10:47:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: October 18, 2007, 10:42:17 pm »

That depends on the type of Satanists. Gothic Satanists (named for the Gothic era, not goths) are pretty much Satanists as the Church saw them, but most modern forms of Satanism aren't so much. LaVey Satanism (Church of Satan and spin-offs) certainly isn't -- its more a self-centered philosophy. Temple of set style Satanism isn't anything like the "traditional" form of Satanism either.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: October 18, 2007, 10:57:58 pm »

That depends on the type of Satanists. Gothic Satanists (named for the Gothic era, not goths) are pretty much Satanists as the Church saw them, but most modern forms of Satanism aren't so much. LaVey Satanism (Church of Satan and spin-offs) certainly isn't -- its more a self-centered philosophy. Temple of set style Satanism isn't anything like the "traditional" form of Satanism either.

I thought the Temple of Set was a form of Kemetic Paganism  Huh

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: October 18, 2007, 11:42:54 pm »

I thought the Temple of Set was a form of Kemetic Paganism  Huh

... no, no it's not.

As interpretations of Big Red go when forcibly disconnected from His context and modernised go, it's not, IMO, a bad one, but the context matters.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: October 19, 2007, 08:02:11 am »

... no, no it's not.

As interpretations of Big Red go when forcibly disconnected from His context and modernised go, it's not, IMO, a bad one, but the context matters.

Thanks, I was hopping a Set Kid would clear this up Smiley

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Ben Wood
Last Login:April 02, 2008, 05:48:33 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Quaker Attender and Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 19, 2007, 12:12:35 pm »

I doubt I would ever be lucky enough to have my own temple, but one day I'd love have my own roofed garden shrine, which be reached up a few stone steps. The shrine would have three altars, one dedicated to Zeno, (the founder of Stoicism), one to his master Socrates and one to Hera. On each altar I would have an offering bowl, a bowl for water, some incense and a statue of for each shrine. I think a bowl in which to tend a sacred fire. 

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:14:41 pm by Ben Wood » Logged
Aetius
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 19, 2007, 08:09:17 pm »

I doubt I would ever be lucky enough to have my own temple, but one day I'd love have my own roofed garden shrine, which be reached up a few stone steps. The shrine would have three altars, one dedicated to Zeno, (the founder of Stoicism), one to his master Socrates and one to Hera. On each altar I would have an offering bowl, a bowl for water, some incense and a statue of for each shrine. I think a bowl in which to tend a sacred fire. 

* snip *

That sounds beautiful.

Hiketes
Apprentice
Last Login:April 20, 2008, 02:33:39 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 26, 2007, 01:25:08 pm »

The largest room on the ground floor would be the congregational worship area, which would stretch from the doors of the shrine to the purification area at the eastern end of the building

I've always thought of a temple as a place to visit for solitary worship not congregational worship.

“Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.”

Aristophanes
Theres
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2015, 03:24:45 pm

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 26, 2007, 01:28:56 pm »

I've always thought of a temple as a place to visit for solitary worship not congregational worship.
i'd have to agree, as i've never considered a temple to be synonomous with a church.

"Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed!"
~ Monty Python
Aetius
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 27, 2007, 06:27:21 am »

Typically, the ancients conducted festivals outdoors (as far as I know), away from the temple proper but nearby. However, outdoor worship is often not feasible in the north. Pouring ice-cold rain, snowstorms, and low temperatures make indoor worship more desirable for those of us not blessed with a sunny climate.

Hellenismos was meant to be a congregational religion, not one of solitary wanderers who never meet one another. Ultimately that requires temples and dedicated sacred space.

Hiketes
Apprentice
Last Login:April 20, 2008, 02:33:39 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 27, 2007, 08:54:46 am »

Hellenismos was meant to be a congregational religion, not one of solitary wanderers who never meet one another. Ultimately that requires temples and dedicated sacred space

I always got the impression that while people did come together to meet and talk the actual worship would be close family and friends only, and not large crowds being preached to, which is my understanding of the phrase congregational worship.

“Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.”

Aristophanes

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.