The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 08, 2020, 11:26:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 08, 2020, 11:26:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Forgotten Gods  (Read 6841 times)
elaoin
Journeyman
Last Login:January 16, 2008, 08:00:32 pm
United States United States

Religion: Seido no Gijo Hei

I'm not a hamster, and life isn't a hamster wheel!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 15, 2007, 04:49:44 pm »

That's a very real possibility. From my experience with a couple of "new gods" they are reluctant to claim any sort of place with the "old gods". IME (and this is totally UPG btw) there is a sort of "hierarchy of respect" amongst the gods...this is not because of authority (even though the older gods do tend to have more authority) it's truly because the newer gods honor those who have gone before.

And yet He and Morrigan get along famously when it comes to picking on me. Roll Eyes I think you hit the nail on the head with the word respect though. He's not *afraid*, it's just... not His place, or something like that. *Shrug*

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #16: October 15, 2007, 05:37:52 pm »

And yet He and Morrigan get along famously when it comes to picking on me. Roll Eyes I think you hit the nail on the head with the word respect though. He's not *afraid*, it's just... not His place, or something like that. *Shrug*

*laughs* I know a few people who get on famously with Morrigan...*especially* when it comes to picking.

Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: October 16, 2007, 04:07:49 am »

I also don't believe that new gods come about because there is a need, but that they come about and then may fill a need that exists somewhere. They "find their niche" so to speak.

I could certainly see that this may be the case - after all, if we had been born in the 18th century, we wouldn't have a clue about computers whereas young people today are often so talented with information technology it's unbelieveable - why wouldn't newer gods be the same?

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #18: October 16, 2007, 02:51:56 pm »

I could certainly see that this may be the case - after all, if we had been born in the 18th century, we wouldn't have a clue about computers whereas young people today are often so talented with information technology it's unbelieveable - why wouldn't newer gods be the same?

Exactly. I don't think that gods only reproduce/create new gods when there is a need for them. IME they're just like us...

loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: October 16, 2007, 06:09:04 pm »

If you have the feeling that your deity may be from a lost culture or is a very ancient form of a deity, it then follows that you will have to ask a lot of questions of that deity (and I am sure the deity would be aware of the situation)

My question then is, besides meditation and having to over-burden such a deity with questions, what other methods can be used to gain insight into the situation?  Has anyone personally experienced this situation?

These are not strictly lost Goddess but I seldom see reference to them, Tiamat (Babylonian) and Lilith.
Both of these have at one point or another had me trying to communicate.  Was I succesful, I feel like I was, but it was more like simply a persence.  They certainly helped me along for a little while.
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 21, 2007, 04:22:36 pm »

My question then is, besides meditation and having to over-burden such a deity with questions, what other methods can be used to gain insight into the situation?  Has anyone personally experienced this situation?

From a more recent perspective, I've just started towards working with Mithras...I don't think he was nudging at me, just that I had wanted to get to know him (for potentially batshit personal reasons). I met him in meditation last night, although I really can't seem to find any modern followers of this god...so he's going to have to put up with a lot of questions LOL.

Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: October 23, 2007, 07:06:36 am »

From a more recent perspective, I've just started towards working with Mithras...I don't think he was nudging at me, just that I had wanted to get to know him (for potentially batshit personal reasons). I met him in meditation last night, although I really can't seem to find any modern followers of this god...so he's going to have to put up with a lot of questions LOL.

I have heard of Mithras before, but I'd need to go and look up where. He's a sun-god isn't he? Which culture?

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: October 23, 2007, 08:23:09 am »

I have heard of Mithras before, but I'd need to go and look up where. He's a sun-god isn't he? Which culture?

Persian deity, imported to Rome where his cult became very popular in the Roman military.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
LillyLiveredLilim
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 20, 2009, 06:49:33 pm

Religion: Unclear

Yellow Streaked

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: November 26, 2007, 06:48:29 pm »

To the latter question, yes.  The Gods bothering me are exceptionally old.  Their perspective is so alien to me I feel as though I've wandered into a Lovecraft short and their time scale is glacial.  They are withdrawn, sleepy, and more animal than anthropomorphic.  I can find echoes of them in Artaios, Artio, Andarta, Oslo, the Great Bear, Math, Artemis, and Andarta, but they themselves are so ineffable and untouchable to me.  They may pre-date language for all I know.  Coming to terms with the reality that they are so distant from here has helped a great deal.  I've mostly stopped trying to work out facts about them, they're not forthcoming about themselves anyway, so I've begun to let myself feel it rather than think it.  Considering that they are generally sleeping Gods, particularly now, that works for me.  I'm not ready to explore a God's subconscious just yet.  I strive to intuit what I have to, and being firmly fixed in a modern worldview, I write things down, but I go on instinct as much as I feel comfortable doing.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: November 26, 2007, 06:54:51 pm »

To the latter question, yes.  The Gods bothering me are exceptionally old.  Their perspective is so alien to me I feel as though I've wandered into a Lovecraft short and their time scale is glacial.  They are withdrawn, sleepy, and more animal than anthropomorphic. 

It's possible that animals have deities. If they do, they might be something like what you are describing here. Just speculation, mind you.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #25: November 26, 2007, 07:40:48 pm »

It's possible that animals have deities. If they do, they might be something like what you are describing here. Just speculation, mind you.

oh boy, what a fun idea...I have to ask my dog.....

But I have also found that there are some nature spirits that one runs into who I think fall into this very very old, sleepy, somewhat cranky category. I am not sure that I would call them gods, though.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
LillyLiveredLilim
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 20, 2009, 06:49:33 pm

Religion: Unclear

Yellow Streaked

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: November 26, 2007, 08:42:36 pm »

She has human form, and I'm fairly certain He has as well though I've never seen it, but they seem to have the same attitude towards assuming human form that my Grandmom has towards shaving.  They just don't care how we relate to them, I suppose.

Still, it's a fascinating idea, Gods of animals.  What would that say about me if they bother me?  I'm so human it's dull.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)