The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 23, 2019, 03:16:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 03:16:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Technology Age Gods  (Read 6791 times)
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 15, 2007, 02:14:13 pm »

This is a spin-off of the Forgotten Gods thread  http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=3171.0

Is it possible that there are new Gods that have formed with the changing world that we are not aware of or have over-looked?

Somehow I feel as though I have failed as a Pagan for always looking for a deity of the past when one appears to me. Surley there must be new God/Goddesses being born/created? Why have I always tried to assign a modern concept or thing  (such as technology) to a deity of the past?

In my opinion a deity is the essence of a thing, force, or idea. Then it would stand to reason that there are new Gods. Why have I hesitated to seek them out for help? Possibly because I am seen as being flaky enough without going on an "in search of new Gods" type adventure? Or maybe because others might deem this as the stuff of "fluff-bunnies?" (a term I despise by the way)

Has anyone encountered what they suspect may be a "newer" technology age God?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 15, 2007, 02:23:47 pm »

This is a spin-off of the Forgotten Gods thread  http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=3171.0

Is it possible that there are new Gods that have formed with the changing world that we are not aware of or have over-looked?

Somehow I feel as though I have failed as a Pagan for always looking for a deity of the past when one appears to me. Surley there must be new God/Goddesses being born/created? Why have I always tried to assign a modern concept or thing  (such as technology) to a deity of the past?

* snip *

Or maybe because others might deem this as the stuff of "fluff-bunnies?" (a term I despise by the way)

I haven't, but it certainly isn't for me to say whether some new deity has been born or not.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
heron
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 15, 2007, 01:37:16 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 15, 2007, 04:38:12 pm »

I haven't, but this is a really interesting question.

Actually, my fiance is a computer tech of sorts, and he considers himself an atheist/agnostic, and yet he will occasionally talk about computers in a vaguely "spiritual" way. That is, he thinks that certain parts just get along where other parts (same models, different actual items) just don't. He will also sometimes transfer a computer from one case to another, and certain problems will suddenly be fixed. In cases like that, he says (only half joking) that the case had goblins. The first time he told me about this idea, he referred to a "machine spirit." I don't fully understand it, but then he has a real knack, an instinctive skill for this kind of work, so if he feels like a machine can have a spirit, I can trust him on that.

Anyone else have that kind of experience?

But as for actual new gods... well I don't know why it's not possible, and yet, I don't know how we would recognize them.
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 15, 2007, 04:43:54 pm »

Sure it's possible. The pantheon's were breeding back then I'm sure they didn't just go, "Oh, no one's looking at us anymore; let's all go into solitude and never have any more babies." (I know the greeks didn't.) So I'm sure there are lots of new gods and goddesses, maybe not entirely new pantheons, but I'm sure there are as new off-shoots of the old ones. But then I'm a hard-polytheist so some may disagree. (I just can't fathom that Apollo, Ares, Hermes, and Dionysos are all the same god. What a schizo-guy that would have to be...)
elaoin
Journeyman
Last Login:January 16, 2008, 08:00:32 pm

Religion: Seido no Gijo Hei

I'm not a hamster, and life isn't a hamster wheel!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 15, 2007, 04:56:20 pm »

As I mentioned in the above thread, I think so. Y'know, I was about to type out that Shad doesn't really fill an unfilled niche, but I don't think that's quite true. He's not a god of love, but of deep, irreplaceable joy. Yes, love can come with that, and joy can come with love, but love isn't His focus (except when I really need it to be). Just being supremely contentedly *happy* is what He's all about. Everything else, including His love of nature and His apparent link to the harvest of grapes and making/enjoying of wine, are all very secondary.

And in all my research, I haven't yet found an "old god" who is focused so completely on joy rather than love. I think I just got hit in the head with a lightbulb (ow). Thanks!
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 15, 2007, 05:14:20 pm »

Kinda. When I was still working on/with a desktop pc - it's my hubby's now - I kept a charged crystal in the floor of the tower - to appease the gods of the cpu chip/crystal...But I'm a dork. What do I know? LOL
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 15, 2007, 06:27:19 pm »

And in all my research, I haven't yet found an "old god" who is focused so completely on joy rather than love. I think I just got hit in the head with a lightbulb (ow). Thanks!

You're welcome (I think?)
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 15, 2007, 08:43:36 pm »

In my opinion a deity is the essence of a thing, force, or idea. Then it would stand to reason that there are new Gods. Why have I hesitated to seek them out for help? Possibly because I am seen as being flaky enough without going on an "in search of new Gods" type adventure? Or maybe because others might deem this as the stuff of "fluff-bunnies?" (a term I despise by the way)

As far as worrying about whether people think you are fluffy or not...screw 'em. There is quite enough unfriendly judgmental bullshit in the world, no need to take it on yourself.

There is a long discussion of this in "City Magick" by Christopher Penczack, as I recall. It is a very interesting topic, and needs to be looked into in a more scholarly way, for sure.

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 15, 2007, 10:37:03 pm »

I'm quite an animist with my home computers - sometimes I can talk them through startup when they're having issues.  My poor computer had quite a few issues on startup earlier today when I was really agitated.  Coincidence?  Maybe, maybe not.

(Incidentally, I'm one of those who believe that the "old gods" evolve and change.  Which is part of why Djehuty's shrine is on my computer and I honor him as the Lord of Design and Semiotics, among other more traditional epithets.)

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 01, 2019, 11:52:17 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: October 16, 2007, 12:02:16 am »

modern concept or thing  (such as technology)
Why do you say technology, as a concept, is modern?  I mean, yeah, modern technology is modern, but even the wheel is technology.

(Incidentally, I'm one of those who believe that the "old gods" evolve and change.  Which is part of why Djehuty's shrine is on my computer and I honor him as the Lord of Design and Semiotics, among other more traditional epithets.)
I'll go even farther than that.  I agree completely that the deities do evolve and change - but I don't think there's as much change required as people seem to be thinking.  Technology really isn't so much about completely new things we do, as it is about new ways to do old things.

Communication, f'ex - I can't see why Hermes is any less a deity of communication, just because it's done on a computer.  I don't know Hestia personally, so I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if she thought vacuum cleaners were a great improvement over brooms when it came to cleaning house.  I do know the Morrigan personally, so I can tell you that she thinks machine guns are great for when carnage is what you want, but they're not very effective at cultivating Warriors.  (Hey, it's tM - sometimes she wants carnage, sometimes she wants Warriors.)

That said, I'm inclined to agree that beings are still achieving deity-hood (whatever the distinction between deity/not-deity might be).

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 01, 2019, 11:52:17 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: October 16, 2007, 12:11:38 am »

Actually, my fiance is a computer tech of sorts, and he considers himself an atheist/agnostic, and yet he will occasionally talk about computers in a vaguely "spiritual" way. That is, he thinks that certain parts just get along where other parts (same models, different actual items) just don't. He will also sometimes transfer a computer from one case to another, and certain problems will suddenly be fixed. In cases like that, he says (only half joking) that the case had goblins. The first time he told me about this idea, he referred to a "machine spirit." I don't fully understand it, but then he has a real knack, an instinctive skill for this kind of work, so if he feels like a machine can have a spirit, I can trust him on that.
Most of the computer-tech geeks I've known have been animistic, at any rate about computers, or at the very least find it an effective, often the most effective, metaphor for talking about the odd things computers do.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 16, 2007, 12:21:51 am »

-snip-

I had a dream once (this seems to be the pagan's version of "This one time, at band camp"  Cheesy) that.. it could've been. Possibly. The dream pretty much had its usually scatteredness that I tend to have, yet it very much involved technology. Games, movie theatres, cars, reality games. Very much in the now. And then this woman shows up... If she was a god, I'd see her more as a goddess of games (think computer games, arcade games, toys, etc). She had all of these.. around her. I tried to actually draw her.. but it never came close to what she was. Even now I can barely remember. It was just.. an essence. She gave me something to do with what was her, and then disappeared. When I tried to find her, I just couldn't. I was so upset, too. I was obsessed over her for days after that. She could've been, I dunno. But the recent talks about forgotten or new gods made me re-think it. Hm.

Another theory.. is that there were gods or godlets that never really had a role, and were just waiting for the right time before they found it. Y'know? I dunno if that makes any sense... but to me it sort of does.

I've never really had an animist view on my computers before. Although there are times where my internet will stop working late at night, and refuses to reconnect no matter how hard I try. I usually take that as a sign to go to bed Wink

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 07, 2019, 10:49:07 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: October 16, 2007, 08:28:07 am »

Why do you say technology, as a concept, is modern?  I mean, yeah, modern technology is modern, but even the wheel is technology.

I think this is my problem with discussions like this. From my viewpoint, ancient people had technology -- often surprisingly advanced in some areas (Roman roads and aquaducts, Mayan (I think) brain surgery, Chinese fireworks, Egyptian pyramid building etc.).

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Journey
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 16, 2007, 10:26:19 am »

As far as worrying about whether people think you are fluffy or not...screw 'em. There is quite enough unfriendly judgmental bullshit in the world, no need to take it on yourself.
There is a long discussion of this in "City Magick" by Christopher Penczack, as I recall. It is a very interesting topic, and needs to be looked into in a more scholarly way, for sure.

Yeah, I really hate that term Fluff Bunny, its all a matter of perspective, and personally I think some people just like to put down others. Thanks for the tip on the book.

I'll go even farther than that.  I agree completely that the deities do evolve and change - but I don't think there's as much change required as people seem to be thinking.  Technology really isn't so much about completely new things we do, as it is about new ways to do old things.
Communication, f'ex - I can't see why Hermes is any less a deity of communication, just because it's done on a computer.  I don't know Hestia personally, so I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if she thought vacuum cleaners were a great improvement over brooms when it came to cleaning house.  I do know the Morrigan personally, so I can tell you that she thinks machine guns are great for when carnage is what you want, but they're not very effective at cultivating Warriors.  (Hey, it's tM - sometimes she wants carnage, sometimes she wants Warriors.)
Sunflower

Yes, I meant modern technology.  Communication would still be communication you are right. 

I really don't know if the Gods are growing along with us and incorporating new inventions ( hum....is there a god of invention? Lightbulb just turned on) or if their children are coming up with new things? Kind of along the lines of what Antonia said earlier about Gods having children.

From a Kemetic standpoint, I would go along with the God's children idea. Baset for example has been associated with dance and music, entertainment, perfume, and the health of cats among other things. Well, I should think the poor thing would become overwhelmed at some point with all the types of music, fragrances,  dances, and entertainment forms.....so, it seems natural to me to think of her as having kittens who have had kittens. The Music Kitten for example would have kittens, one for rock, one for pop, one for classic music, one for country, and etc. and so on.  Blues kitty gets together with Jazz kitty and you've got R & B kitty. New kittens would be being born all the time. This is to illustrate the expanding and growing nature of a God/Goddess. (Also explains why the Egyptians had so many Gods - lol)

(continued thought below in response to RandallS)

I think this is my problem with discussions like this. From my viewpoint, ancient people had technology -- often surprisingly advanced in some areas (Roman roads and aquaducts, Mayan (I think) brain surgery, Chinese fireworks, Egyptian pyramid building etc.).

Nothing new under the sun, eh?  Smiley

I can see some inventions and advancements really being the product of certain gods. But I do think there are some new things that just don't fit well with a singular older deity. Seems to me some have maybe mated or worked together on a creation? Is a computer really the domain of a communication, math or entertainment god? or something unto itself?   I don't know.

All I do know is that the creator deities never stop creating.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: October 16, 2007, 01:13:02 pm »

Yes, I meant modern technology.  Communication would still be communication you are right. 

I really don't know if the Gods are growing along with us and incorporating new inventions ( hum....is there a god of invention? Lightbulb just turned on) or if their children are coming up with new things? Kind of along the lines of what Antonia said earlier about Gods having children.

I can see some inventions and advancements really being the product of certain gods. But I do think there are some new things that just don't fit well with a singular older deity. Seems to me some have maybe mated or worked together on a creation? Is a computer really the domain of a communication, math or entertainment god? or something unto itself?   I don't know.

All I do know is that the creator deities never stop creating.

I agree. I suppose when I say modern technology, I'm more often than not referring more to machinery, like cars, computers, arcades, street lights, etc. And I'm not saying that one god replaces another, its just that.. they kind of help out in a way. If that makes any sense.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)