The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 04:10:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 04:10:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bodybuilding/weight training  (Read 7045 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 18, 2007, 11:24:18 pm »

O.K., supposedly the pagan community is less fitness conscious than it should be, but I'll take a crack at it anyway:

Anybody else out there into working out at the gym?

I'm pretty serious about it, hitting the gym about 4x a week, modifying my diet, etc. I started 22 years ago to try it out for a month, and never stopped.

It ties into my spiritual path, in two ways: I see it as tending to the divinity within ("my body is a temple," "be all that you can be," insert other cliches here); and to the extent that I think one can manifest one's will in the world, I think it starts with one's own self.

So if you think an hour or two in a room full of heavy metal plates is time well spent (or if you have questions you'd like to ask someone who does), I'd love to hear about it.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: March 19, 2007, 08:23:11 am »

Hubby and I tried it for a little bit, though not for the bodybuilding and weight training stuff.  We tended to stick to the cardio machines and the track more, with occasional experiments on the strength circuit and the best of intentions to use the pool at some point.  Unfortunately, it just didn't stick.  Sad

(Which isn't to say we don't exercise; we walk for exercise multiple times each week, he does martial arts two evenings a week, and I throw in some prenatal yoga to fill in my gaps.  The gym just didn't work out for us.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 19, 2007, 08:51:52 am »

So if you think an hour or two in a room full of heavy metal plates is time well spent (or if you have questions you'd like to ask someone who does), I'd love to hear about it.

When im happy healthy, i do body weight exercises. I've never understood doing exersize whwere you have to pay someone to use their stuff when your body works ok.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: March 19, 2007, 09:18:30 am »

When im happy healthy, i do body weight exercises. I've never understood doing exersize whwere you have to pay someone to use their stuff when your body works ok.

Depends on the exercise you want to do, I suppose.  For instance, like I said, one of the things Hubby and I intended to do at the gym was swim for exercise.  (Personal preference; I love water and swimming, it's good aerobic exercise, and I'd heard it would be a good way to exercise during pregnancy.)  We don't have a pool of our own, don't have the money to install one, and don't really have anywhere to put one even if we had the money.  *shrug*

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 19, 2007, 10:03:46 am »

I've never understood doing exersize whwere you have to pay someone to use their stuff when your body works ok.

I suppose the idea is (a) to *keep* the body working O.K., and (b) to get the body working *better*.

Weight training definitely slows, prevents, and even reverses some of the negative effects of aging: it maintains bone mass, and stimulates the release of hormones (testosterone, human growth hormone) that keep you not only physically sharp, but mentally sharp too. It's the decline of these hormones gradually with age that is the source of the physical disability--the feebleness--that most people associate with age.

I plan to live a *long* time, but I want to be in good enough health to enjoy it!

But besides that, it's such a boost to visualize one's body in a certain way and then (through focused effort) make it become that in reality. It's enormously satisfying and give me a sense of control over my life that then spills over into other areas.

Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 19, 2007, 10:27:30 am »

I did the Curves thing with my mother for about a year, I was her workout buddy.  She was more likely to go if she knew I would be there.  I loved it, and hated it.  I loved it for the workout, I loved the hydralic machines, I loved how I felt afterwards, it was great.  I hated it because they played nothing but the Curves sanctioned Cher impersonators and Christian music.  I know for a fact they had other music they could have played, but the woman who worked there who would put in those CDs stopped working there shortly after I joined.  The workout was fantastic, the experience was miserable.

Now the company where I work has a fitness center in-house that's free for employees.  Nowhere near as fancy as the Curves machines, but it's free and it's convenient.  I dont do the weights or the weight machines because they are always monopolized by grunty, sweaty macho-man type guys who never clean the machines when they're done with them.  YUCK!  Instead I stay on the "women's" side of the center (I say that, because I never see men on the cardio machines, and I never see women on the weight machines), and alternate between the eliptical and the StairMaster.

Here, unlike Curves, I'm able to tune out everything and listen to my own music.  It's great.  I wish I could have the full-body workout that Curves gave me, but for right now, this is all I'm able to manage with my commute and schedule.  And because if I work out, I cant do anything else that evening (end work at 5p, workout til 6p, get home at 7p, make and eat dinner til 8p, take a shower and clean up til 9p, then bedtime), I'm only able to justify going twice a week.  I cannot get myself up to three times a week for the life of me, I always wind up slave to other commitments -- boyfriend, family, friends, bills, dishes, laundry, ironing....

I wish I could do more, I really do.  I'd love to join a gym that has a full-body workout like Curves did (my mother goes to Shapes, now, and she loved it!), particularly with the hydralic machines instead of the clinky/clunky weights.  But unless we move to a place where I wont have to commute so much and driving to a fitness center wouldn't take me so far out of my way, I'll just have to get by using my work's in-house fitness center.

It's better than nothing! 

I'm up to level 2 1/2 on the StairMaster!  I say two and a half because I'm able to start my workout at level 3, then about halfway through I have to notch it back down to level 2.  Doesn't sound very impressive, but I do 30-45 minutes straight on the machine.  I have no weight to lose, so I'm working out to build stamina!!

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 19, 2007, 09:57:29 pm »

I dont do the weights or the weight machines because they are always monopolized by grunty, sweaty macho-man type guys who never clean the machines when they're done with them.  YUCK!  Instead I stay on the "women's" side of the center (I say that, because I never see men on the cardio machines, and I never see women on the weight machines), and alternate between the eliptical and the StairMaster.

Zahirah, do NOT let those guys intimidate you away from the weights and weight machines! Strength training is as important as aerobics (esp. for women; weight training helps fend off osteoporosis), and the two complement each other: The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns, even if you're just standing still; plus, if you're doing aerobics, weight training helps ensure that you burn fat, no existing muscle.

And don't worry about looking like an overmuscled freak. Unless you plan to start taking steroids, you'll only look shapelier/hotter. (For example, training your triceps will fight "bat wings," as my friend Ann calls them--the loose flesh under the upper arms--that sometimes come to women as they age.)

My suggestion is to bring your own towel. That way, if some sweaty dude is too rude to clean up after himself, you can wipe it away and get on with your own training.

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 20, 2007, 06:18:57 am »

Not as such.  I try to regularly do press-ups and push-ups (purely as a vanity measure. Id like to look buff Smiley ), but I also regularly attend karate training.  The latter helps me to feel a little more safe when walking down the street.  Also pressure points are fun. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: March 20, 2007, 06:55:18 am »

Also pressure points are fun. Smiley

Ya know one day id like to meet a martial artist who doesn't giggle with glee when they get shown a new thumb lock

Altair
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 20, 2007, 08:15:11 am »

Not as such.  I try to regularly do press-ups and push-ups (purely as a vanity measure. Id like to look buff Smiley )

Truth be told, vanity is one of my prime motivators too.

"Press-ups"? I know what push-ups are, of course, but I'm not sure what exercise you mean by press-ups.

Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 20, 2007, 08:28:52 am »

O.K., supposedly the pagan community is less fitness conscious than it should be, but I'll take a crack at it anyway:

I'm pretty serious about it, hitting the gym about 4x a week, modifying my diet, etc. I started 22 years ago to try it out for a month, and never stopped.

It ties into my spiritual path, in two ways: I see it as tending to the divinity within ("my body is a temple," "be all that you can be," insert other cliches here); and to the extent that I think one can manifest one's will in the world, I think it starts with one's own self.

I just started again recently.  I am working my way up to a full workout.  I'm not after getting very buffed out this time, so I'm working with lighter weights, just enough to tighten back up muscles I haven't been able to work for years due to a pregnancy-induced muscle issue (split rectus muscle)  20 years ago, pre-kids, I was seriously into lifting.  I was benching 180lbs for my workout then.  Now, I'm doing 50lbs.  Doesn't matter.  My goals are very different than they were then.  Then, I wanted to join the military and get into a field that women are still not being allowed to join.  *shrug*  What can I say.  I was an activist for equal rights as much then as I am now.  Now, I just have no more desire to be in such a position.

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: March 20, 2007, 09:35:28 am »

Truth be told, vanity is one of my prime motivators too.

"Press-ups"? I know what push-ups are, of course, but I'm not sure what exercise you mean by press-ups.

Doh!  I meant sit ups!  My brain needs replacing. Sad

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: March 20, 2007, 09:40:15 am »

Ya know one day id like to meet a martial artist who doesn't giggle with glee when they get shown a new thumb lock

Hmm..Thumb locks are ok, but I find them occasionally fiddly.  I love some of the points on the arms though.  Buckle-tastic! Smiley

Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 20, 2007, 09:50:44 am »

Zahirah, do NOT let those guys intimidate you away from the weights and weight machines!

Ha ha ha, too late! Wink

Actually, it's not them so much as the "dont know what the heck to do" and fear of hurting myself.  Weights are heavy, ya know Wink  I have little 5-pound freeweights I use at home when I'm watching TV to help strengthen my wrists.  I do those exercises because a physical therapist taught me how to hold them and where to look for the burn.

But those weight contraptions at work look like something out of an B&D catalog.  I dont know what the heck I'm doing, and I'm 30 years old now. Wink  If I pull something, I dont bounce back as quickly as I used to when I was 18.  (note: There is nobody on-staff in our company's fitness center. It's just a room with equipment and mirrors on the walls.)

So I will continue to do what I know, and I do see results.  And in the meantime, I'll be keeping my eyes open on my commute looking for something not far out of my way, that includes instructors and people trained to ensure that I dont hurt myself.

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 20, 2007, 10:00:20 am »

Actually, it's not them so much as the "dont know what the heck to do" and fear of hurting myself.  Weights are heavy, ya know Wink  <snippity snip> And in the meantime, I'll be keeping my eyes open on my commute looking for something not far out of my way, that includes instructors and people trained to ensure that I dont hurt myself.

Is there a YMCA near you?  You get a few free sessions with membership with a trainer.  It's not terribly expensive to join, you get full use of everything and lots of classes are covered by membership, too.  Plus, the machines at the Y have instructions for what to do with them right there on them, which is handy. 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)