The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 10:39:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 10:39:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grounding to Various Elements  (Read 21998 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 18, 2007, 11:51:57 am »

grounding of course  Smiley

I never got the hang of that. I think that's why I don't do magic. I was even told once to "ground" to other elements, but that didn't work either.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: March 18, 2007, 12:24:10 pm »

I never got the hang of that. I think that's why I don't do magic. I was even told once to "ground" to other elements, but that didn't work either.

Well, with another element it would not quite be grounding?  Huh Airing? Watering? Fireing??

But you could use stones for this - black tourmaline, fossiles, simple pepple oh or just get outside, when possible, kneel on the ground and dig you fingers into the earth and let everything flow down. It don't has to be a fancy meditation - a nice treehugging could work too  Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 18, 2007, 12:27:04 pm »

Well, with another element it would not quite be grounding?  Huh Airing? Watering? Fireing??

But you could use stones for this - black tourmaline, fossiles, simple pepple oh or just get outside, when possible, kneel on the ground and dig you fingers into the earth and let everything flow down. It don't has to be a fancy meditation - a nice treehugging could work too  Wink

Oh, it's not that I didn't know what to do- it's that the process makes me feel sick, every time. Not tired, like I'm letting too much go, but like someone just punched me in the stomach and put a bucket of chemicals under my nose.

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 18, 2007, 12:40:46 pm »

I think it basically involves connecting to the element of choice and passing on the energy.  The common version of course being earth.  I'm pretty good at grounding to earth, so I've never had cause to try alternatives.  I can manage a pretty solid connection to water (well..imaginary water in my mind), but I think thats because I have a strong emotive reaction to the concept of large bodies of water.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
serpentrose
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 19, 2011, 05:51:20 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Serpent Caller

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 18, 2007, 01:32:36 pm »

Have you tried using Hematite or some other stone with strong grounding properties? I have a hell of a time trying to ground myself and will wear Hematite frequently for just that purpose.

I couldn't ground at all until a spirit showed me how do to it 'from the inside' and even so I still have difficulty with it sometimes (generally when I really need to). Interestingly I don't necessarily ground to a specific Element, but rather to whatever is around me. This was a fascinating experience when I was on the subway crossing the Don Valley. (Via a convenient bridge, I could actually feel the difference in the surrounding energies.)

Give from the heart
Own your decisions
Defy false desires
Deserve your own love
Embrace what is different
Seek what is true
Serve from the heart, or serve not at all
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 18, 2007, 01:38:23 pm »

Have you tried using Hematite or some other stone with strong grounding properties? I have a hell of a time trying to ground myself and will wear Hematite frequently for just that purpose.

I couldn't ground at all until a spirit showed me how do to it 'from the inside' and even so I still have difficulty with it sometimes (generally when I really need to). Interestingly I don't necessarily ground to a specific Element, but rather to whatever is around me. This was a fascinating experience when I was on the subway crossing the Don Valley. (Via a convenient bridge, I could actually feel the difference in the surrounding energies.)

I shied away from the technique since I get physically ill. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but since I seem to do alright without grounding, I figure it's ok. Cheesy

serpentrose
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 19, 2011, 05:51:20 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Serpent Caller

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 18, 2007, 01:43:34 pm »

I shied away from the technique since I get physically ill. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but since I seem to do alright without grounding, I figure it's ok. Cheesy

I would too! Since you seem to do alright without grounding I'm guessing you've found a technique that does much the same for you. Either that or the ways in which you do stuff don't necessitate grounding at all.

Wish I could say the same! If I don't do something grounding on a regular basis I tend to metaphorically "float away" psychologically. Sometimes I really envy people who can keep both feet on the ground, sometimes I have trouble just getting a few toes down!

Give from the heart
Own your decisions
Defy false desires
Deserve your own love
Embrace what is different
Seek what is true
Serve from the heart, or serve not at all
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: March 18, 2007, 03:13:01 pm »

Something similar happens to me, actually.

If I ground to earth, I get ridiculously cranky and headachy and end up sick if I do it for any length of time.

If I *open up* to air, I'm fine.

but yeah, I wouldn't experiment if what I was doing worked! Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: March 18, 2007, 04:17:13 pm »

I think it basically involves connecting to the element of choice and passing on the energy. 

That one can connect to every element is clear, but it's earth for the special reason to get the feet back on the ground, so ones head does not flow around in the spirit realms. (I know people you have to beat back from there *g*)

So connecting to water, would be for the emotions, to fire for willpower, to air for inspiration - for example.

To really ground you'll need earth I think, but if somebody's fine without, like Juni, it's no cosmic law of course. Everything working for oneself is fine.

It's not that I'm using grounding all the time, just when I channeled a lot of energy to get rid of the Too-Muchs, that would make me feel icky.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: March 18, 2007, 05:42:04 pm »

That one can connect to every element is clear, but it's earth for the special reason to get the feet back on the ground, so ones head does not flow around in the spirit realms. (I know people you have to beat back from there *g*)

So connecting to water, would be for the emotions, to fire for willpower, to air for inspiration - for example.

To really ground you'll need earth I think, but if somebody's fine without, like Juni, it's no cosmic law of course. Everything working for oneself is fine.

It's not that I'm using grounding all the time, just when I channeled a lot of energy to get rid of the Too-Muchs, that would make me feel icky.

You seem to contradict yourself.  You say certain elements are for certain things, but you acknowledge that there isn't a cosmic law.  If people can ground to any element, than why is earth 'the' element for grounding?  I find earth easier, but I think that's just internal symbolism.  Earth feels solid, and it's conveniently there wherever you are.  I think this may be one of those cases where belief is guiding ability.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #10: March 18, 2007, 06:07:37 pm »

You seem to contradict yourself.  You say certain elements are for certain things, but you acknowledge that there isn't a cosmic law.  If people can ground to any element, than why is earth 'the' element for grounding?  I find earth easier, but I think that's just internal symbolism.  Earth feels solid, and it's conveniently there wherever you are.  I think this may be one of those cases where belief is guiding ability.

I don't contradict myself - I'm open minded  Wink

No, serious, I was talking of the 'classical' elements properties and I havn't met people who ground with other elements until now - that's quite new for me and I try to figure out if getting rid of too much energy through other elements really equals grounding. Or is 'just' an energy balancing that makes you feel better. Since it works that's fine anyway.

And that belief guides the ability is quite true.   

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 18, 2007, 07:55:38 pm »

...to get the feet back on the ground, so ones head does not flow around in the spirit realms...

...To really ground you'll need earth I think...

So would not an effective way of returning a surplus of emotion be pouring it back into water, the remains of a surplus of passion burning itself out, or releasing unreasonable expectation or wishes to the air?

Elements aren't cut and dry pure things.  There is water of fire (ash) air of fire (lightning) earth of fire (lava) and fire of fire (well, just plain ol fire...).  There are places where these things cross boundaries.

Same thing with 'ground'ing.  Like you said, all types of energy are not of earth.  Emotion carries energy as does inspiration.  When there is too much charge in those areas and it is becoming dangerous or distracting, then you release it back to it's place of closest associated origin. 

Someone at TC mentioned a good technique for releasing emotional energy when I was dealing with the emotions of children being too overwhelming.  Envision the bubble that is often used for shields as containing water, the emotion being in that water and it draining away in a swirling whirlpool and out a drain at the bottom.  It is an incredible technique and works so well.  I wish I remember who's it was to give credit where it is due.

When you pour love into a plant it flourishes and carries your energy.  When you pour your negative emotion into a plant, or even physical illness or pain like in the case of the tomato, it rots and heaven help he or she who consumes it.  One would think that the earth is the same way.  If you pour your excesses into it to be cleansed, then it will bear some consequence.  By using other methods you can potentially reduce your energy imprint in some ways.  Make the cleansing and redistribution a bit easier.  Sorting your recyclables.

Water of earth would be mud, and pottery which involves both clay and water would be an effective way of grounding out energy.

Grounding isn't just the simple act of coming back to your body, but releasing the extra energy that makes being in your body uncomfortable.  If envisioning your pores opening, and releasing that energy into the air like perfume from an atomizer works for you, the point is to release the excess energy.

I think the mistake many people make is not noticing that the elements aren't a pizza divided in four, but a medicine wheel divided infinitely.  There are degrees in the circle that aren't really covered in the classic layout.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: March 19, 2007, 01:44:59 am »

Someone at TC mentioned a good technique for releasing emotional energy when I was dealing with the emotions of children being too overwhelming.  Envision the bubble that is often used for shields as containing water, the emotion being in that water and it draining away in a swirling whirlpool and out a drain at the bottom.  It is an incredible technique and works so well.  I wish I remember who's it was to give credit where it is due.

Sounds like my explanation of how I deal with my Celt when he's cranky. Wink

Though I do it with weather symbolism rather than whirlpool -- which is proof of point, that it doesn't matter what 'element' if it works.

Jenett grounds to air, IIRC.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #13: March 19, 2007, 04:41:40 am »

I think the mistake many people make is not noticing that the elements aren't a pizza divided in four, but a medicine wheel divided infinitely.  There are degrees in the circle that aren't really covered in the classic layout.

Hey, I do certainly not disagree *grin* The standard 4 directions/elements 'pizza' was just the starting point to discuss this further.  Smiley

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #14: March 19, 2007, 05:32:45 am »

And besides that: Thou shall finish thinking about your post, before walking the Dog  Wink

I think there is a point I have not made clear.

When we started to talk about grounding it was about getting rid of negtive energy. That one can do that with Air, Fire, Water also is clear. Grounding as I use the term also means getting reconnected to the material world, so earth is quite a good choice for this.

While balancing the energy with other elements, does that reconnect you to the here and now, like earth does it for me? I'm curious about this  Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)