The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 16, 2021, 11:14:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2021, 11:14:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grounding to Various Elements  (Read 21999 times)
Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 02:00:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #60: March 30, 2007, 01:51:14 pm »

I am not trying to go on and on about this, but am looking for clarification for my own thinking. So wouldn't the astral entity be a form of energy and then if it induces confilict than wouldn't it be a negative form of energy?

If there is purposed energy in a room or object, I might. Or I might just repurpose the energy and use it for something else.  I'm more likely to cleanse an area because it attracts influences I don't want.  For example, if I moved into an house where people had been fighting all the time, I'd probably cleanse the place to drive out any astral entities that feed off of conflict and might try to induce conflict to feed.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #61: March 30, 2007, 01:53:27 pm »

Agreed.

Well for me this ist not all wrong-wrong thinking.
I agree that energy itself is like the often quoted knife. You can cut bread with it, or stab a person.

But energy you pick up from a person for example could have taken some 'traits' one does not feel comfortable with, so this feels 'negative'. Another person could feel quite o.k. with the same thing.

It's all a question of being 'compatible' I guess - I fit the energy (or vice versa) it feels good for me, energy and I do not fit, I feel bad.
Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #62: March 30, 2007, 01:56:30 pm »

Yes, this is what I am trying to grasp. I just agreed in a reply about the compatiblity of the energy. If an energy holds some kind of charge not compatible with mine for instance, then I would tend to think of it as negative energy normally. But now maybe I should just think of it as incompatable I guess. I don't know.

I think that while the energy itself doesn't bear a good/bad charge, having the lightheaded fuzzies isn't really a sensation that puts the human body in a state of comfort. 

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #63: March 31, 2007, 05:32:44 am »

I am not trying to go on and on about this, but am looking for clarification for my own thinking. So wouldn't the astral entity be a form of energy and then if it induces confilict than wouldn't it be a negative form of energy?

Electricity can be used to power machines in a hospital.  It can also fry a man.  Is the electricity positive or negative?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #64: March 31, 2007, 07:19:55 am »

Here's a crazy idea that your comment just sent running through my head:

Maybe music, because it's mathematical in its harmonics and intervals and vibration patterns, and yet emotional because that's the level on which it communicates, is air-meets-water...

...and dance, because it's profoundly physical and yet a controlled expression of one's inner energy, is earth-meets-fire.

Through the combination of song and dance, therefore, one would blend all 4 elements possibly to manifest the fifth, spirit? It certainly would explain, in a Western esoteric framework, why this combination is so powerful in every human culture.

Just a thought (and veering off-topic a bit).

I really liked this.  Lightbulb moment for me.  Thank you.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #65: March 31, 2007, 11:32:21 am »

I really liked this.  Lightbulb moment for me.  Thank you.

It was a lightbulb moment for me myself. The more I work with the elements, the more I appreciate them as a powerful mental construct for understanding how we humans and the universe interact.

Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #66: March 31, 2007, 12:02:57 pm »

I am curious, do you any cleansing (of energies) like smudging a room?

I should start with - I am agreement with Randall that energy is just energy, it's is what you do with it that counts.

I think that there is some confusion here as to what we each mean by energy.  When Randall and I (among others) talk about energy, we mean that which powers magical workings.  The energy that people 'leave behind' is generally something different - it is an imprint of them.  This will fade with time, or (such as when you move into a house) can be pushed out just by cleaning and putting your own 'personality energies' in a place.  If smudging helps you to 'clean' someone else out - fine.  But I think that what Randall means (as do I) when he says he will sometimes clean something out he is still referring to 'magical energies' that are there.  That is why he said he will if it is purposed. 
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #67: March 31, 2007, 09:20:15 pm »

I should start with - I am agreement with Randall that energy is just energy, it's is what you do with it that counts.

I think that there is some confusion here as to what we each mean by energy.  When Randall and I (among others) talk about energy, we mean that which powers magical workings.  The energy that people 'leave behind' is generally something different - it is an imprint of them.  This will fade with time, or (such as when you move into a house) can be pushed out just by cleaning and putting your own 'personality energies' in a place.  If smudging helps you to 'clean' someone else out - fine.  But I think that what Randall means (as do I) when he says he will sometimes clean something out he is still referring to 'magical energies' that are there.  That is why he said he will if it is purposed. 

This is the first time I've disagreed with Eadie, but I'll go ahead and stick my neck out this once.

The energy we use in Magical works becomes imprinted with our "signature," our intent.  That is what lingers, to my reckoning, in the physical environment.  Before I moved into this apartment, I smudged the place three times, just to be cautious.

Spiritual energy is here, there, everywhere.  We mark it with our passing.  Others have too, even though they did not know it.  So I find it wise to do a cleansing in the name of caution.  A sagegrass smudge works for me.

But I find that the energy - active in ourselves, our intent, or passive in the local environment - is the same.  Only the name changes.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #68: April 01, 2007, 04:45:49 am »

The energy we use in Magical works becomes imprinted with our "signature," our intent.  That is what lingers, to my reckoning, in the physical environment.  Before I moved into this apartment, I smudged the place three times, just to be cautious.

Spiritual energy is here, there, everywhere.  We mark it with our passing.  Others have too, even though they did not know it.  So I find it wise to do a cleansing in the name of caution.  A sagegrass smudge works for me.

But I find that the energy - active in ourselves, our intent, or passive in the local environment - is the same.  Only the name changes.

This is what I think, too. I agree with what you say here.
It's when people say: 'Oh Reiki is neutral and intelligent and it always stays pure and neutral you just channel it.'

I came to learn that this isn't true, channelling the energy, everybody imprints his own signature on it. So staying with the example: I had a Reiki Teacher I came along fine with, another woman I know of, literally ran away from him. She couldn't stand the traits that energy took through him. Also I know a woman who sticks in personal issues up to her chin - Reiki didn't changed her, she changed the energy in a way I wouldn't want any from her.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Eadie
Master Member
Last Login:November 11, 2008, 04:19:38 pm

Religion: Other

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #69: April 01, 2007, 11:40:21 am »

This is the first time I've disagreed with Eadie, but I'll go ahead and stick my neck out this once.

Go ahead and disagree - my ""we was not for the board, but for Randall and I (and any who agreed with us) simply because I already knew (past experience) that Randall and I have similar views on energy.

I don't smudge simply because I don't ever smudge anything.  I have been know to start a 'filtering' shield in the center of my being and spread it out to encompass my house.  I idea is that anything that couldn't get through it is pushed out.  Also, when I move into a place I clean with intent to also clean any remains of the previous people out (this is for normal 'clearing' not anything really strong) and move in/unpack with the intent of making it mine.  So I AM doing something - but it is in the intent (Uncle Al's will at work) behind a mundane task.

I have had a number of people walk into 'my space' and comment on how calm and relaxing it feels (because that is how my space will be if I have to kill someone to get it - or divorce them).  And have had several who were in the same living space with the previous tenants mention how much nicer it felt with my 'stuff' there (I didn't mention that my furniture arranging was not what they were feeling).

But, I don't think that the detrius we all leave behind us anywhere we spend a lot of time is the same as 'magical energy'.  I think it is similar, but not the same.  And I try to 'make an end' and not leave bunches behind when I move from a house or an office simply out of politeness.
serpentrose
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 19, 2011, 05:51:20 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Serpent Caller

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #70: April 01, 2007, 04:19:42 pm »

Conflict is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes the best way to learn is through a conflict style debate with two people each taking up diametrically opposed positions. Conflict doesn't need to be violent or destructive, although it all too often is.

Give from the heart
Own your decisions
Defy false desires
Deserve your own love
Embrace what is different
Seek what is true
Serve from the heart, or serve not at all
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #71: April 01, 2007, 05:40:14 pm »

Would the electricity that kills someone be somehow "negative" and the electricity that power a defibrillator that restarts someone's heart be somehow "positive"? Electricity isn't different regardless of whether it harms or heals. I don't see why magical energy would be any different.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Lunaheart
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #72: April 01, 2007, 06:43:24 pm »

I wouldn't. Good point. I think I personalize energy.
Nice Easter bonnet!

Would the electricity that kills someone be somehow "negative" and the electricity that power a defibrillator that restarts someone's heart be somehow "positive"? Electricity isn't different regardless of whether it harms or heals. I don't see why magical energy would be any different.
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #73: April 02, 2007, 12:53:57 pm »

I have been know to start a 'filtering' shield in the center of my being and spread it out to encompass my house.  I idea is that anything that couldn't get through it is pushed out. 

Would you elaborate on this?  It would be enormously helpful when I do massage off-site.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #74: April 02, 2007, 02:37:01 pm »

Not Eadie, but hers sounds similar to mine.  I start with a kind of glowing ball at my centre, but when it expands it becomes a kind of net, starting with a very fine mesh when it is close to me and expanding into larger holes as it gets farther away.  I visualize it as bright glowing gold, with a kind of bronze-y undertone.  Anything that can't fit through the mesh is pushed out, but I have it 'set' to ignore certain small house-beings I don't want to evict.

When I'm nervous or away from home it starts inside me, but when I'm at home it starts somewhere under the house and goes up into the sky, taking away anything that shouldn't be there.

I'm also interested in hearing what Eadie's is like.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)