The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 23, 2019, 02:00:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 02:00:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Coping with Fear and Doubt?  (Read 4474 times)
Áine
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 pm
United States United States

Religion: Random Witchcraft
TCN ID: anya

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 18, 2007, 01:56:25 pm »

I know that in the beginning of my study, I was afraid to do anything, even cast a circle (to this day I have only done it once).  I know that other people are nervous at first, so if this has been your experience, how did you cope with this?  And what of doubt?  How did you get over the "I feel stupid" phase?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 04:58:18 pm by RandallS, Reason: Subject changed » Logged

*Síocháin*

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 18, 2007, 02:35:12 pm »

I know that other people are nervous at first, so if this has been your experience, how did you cope with this?  And what of doubt?  How did you get over the "I feel stupid" phase?

I'm probablly a bit of an extreme. When Apollo first knocked on my door, I'd never even considered paganism before; my step-mother was intrested in it, but never practiced and I wasn't really drawn to it.

Then out of the blue there he was, I don't even remember when I first realized it was him, I think I always kind of knew he was there. But when I really understood what was going on, I freaked.

Past-lives came back in flashes, and suddenly there were "spirits" popping up, so I made the executive decision to avoid Apollo like the plauge. I knew there was no going back, so I tried to find a good line of work with Hermes, Ares, and Athena. All of whom sort of patted me on the back and then pushed me back on my way, well Athena did at least. With Ares it was more of a shove, and I'm pretty sure Hermes would have kept me, but fate is fate.

So now I'm where I'm supposed to be, or at least working towards it. I'm still a little rusty, but I'm getting better at this whole communing with the "ghosts" and the bunnies thing. (Except that my "bunnies" are small green men-critters that run around my room at night. Hmmm...)

Personally, I think that initial fear was more the fear of my whole life being flipped on upside down more than anything. I still to this day am not quite sure why I was running, but I did and it's made me the person I am today. I learned a lot about patience, strength, and a hell of a lot about forgiveness, and with out those I wouldn't be able to make it now. So in the end, it all worked out, fate is fate. It happens like it's supposed to happen.
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #2: October 18, 2007, 02:43:14 pm »

I know that in the beginning of my study, I was afraid to do anything, even cast a circle (to this day I have only done it once).  I know that other people are nervous at first, so if this has been your experience, how did you cope with this?  And what of doubt?  How did you get over the "I feel stupid" phase?

Honestly, I've been Pagan for years and I still encounter it at times. You know what I do? To quote a friend of mine, "just plow through". Just force myself to keep going.

Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 18, 2007, 03:01:15 pm »

Honestly, I've been Pagan for years and I still encounter it at times. You know what I do? To quote a friend of mine, "just plow through". Just force myself to keep going.

Yup! Cheesy I've been at this since late 1988 and sometimes I still feel like ... "What am I doing?? I feel so silly." But then I laugh it off and go on.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 18, 2007, 03:13:47 pm »

Doubt is good.  Doubt keeps us honest with ourselves.  Without doubt, spirituality stagnates.  Don't fear doubt.  Turn things over until they sing to you, and if they never do, get rid of them, as they aren't truly your beliefs.  I'm with a lot of people here in thinking that if your faith doesn't make you a little uncomfortable, you're not doing it right.

As for feeling stupid, same advice.  I suspect this sensation springs from doubt as well, so lather, rinse, repeat, and see what comes of it all.  Wink

Brina
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 18, 2007, 03:15:32 pm »

Yup! Cheesy I've been at this since late 1988 and sometimes I still feel like ... "What am I doing?? I feel so silly." But then I laugh it off and go on.

Magic, like sex, looks silly in public.

Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 18, 2007, 06:00:03 pm »

Doubt is good.  Doubt keeps us honest with ourselves.  Without doubt, spirituality stagnates.  Don't fear doubt.  Turn things over until they sing to you, and if they never do, get rid of them, as they aren't truly your beliefs. 

I definitely agree with this statment. Doubt isn't a bad thing, it gives you a chance to do some real soul searching and you may be suprised at what you find out about yourself and what you actually believe. Also, most people have doubts the first few times they do something, but don't be afraid to screw up. Experiment, find out what works for you.

LOL, that is great! That should be on a t-shirt.

Sarah

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 18, 2007, 07:38:35 pm »

I want that bumper sticker!  Grin

Derg Corra
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 08, 2008, 09:29:15 pm

Religion: Aspiring Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 18, 2007, 10:45:17 pm »

This post hits close to home as I am much the same way.  I have done way, way more reading and talking than I have done DOING.  What helped me the most was getting involved.  I took a Wicca 101 course that was very fulfilling and started attending open circles for the Sabbats.  Once you see it done a half-dozen times or so, it doesn't seem as hard to do by yourself.  It is one thing to read the entire ritual out of a book and get overwhelmed, but once you see it done it doesn't seem so impossible after all.

Another thing that helped me was just trying to learn everything I could on the whole esoteric side of the spectrum.  Even though I am not interested in certain pantheons, it helped me to learn a little bit about each one.  And even though I am not interested in certain magical orders, it helped me to learn their history and the pattern of thought behind them.  Because eventually I decided that I was at the right place for me spiritually, knowing that I had researched and considered lots of alternatives that the average joe has never even HEARD about.
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 18, 2007, 11:15:27 pm »

Dania! ROFLMAO

I think I hurt something I was laughing so hard.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #10: October 18, 2007, 11:21:41 pm »

Seems I heard that somewhere before. Smiley

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
elaoin
Journeyman
Last Login:January 16, 2008, 08:00:32 pm

Religion: Seido no Gijo Hei

I'm not a hamster, and life isn't a hamster wheel!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 19, 2007, 12:32:31 am »

Unless Dionysos is involved. Grin
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 19, 2007, 02:17:32 pm »

Seems I heard that somewhere before. Smiley

I know I have, but I don't recall where. It's one of those sayings that's been wandering around the internet for a while, in some form or another.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)