The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2020, 02:54:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2020, 02:54:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Resources About Specific Deities  (Read 7573 times)
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: June 04, 2007, 09:59:15 pm »

I certainly have some favorite deity/mythology-related websites.  What I can't do is claim their accuracy.  The first one especially is just for fun (I hope it doesn't offend anyone.  I occasionally want to remind myself not to take things too seriously  Smiley).  The second is about Hindu deities and the third one is packed with information about Greek mythology.  I do recommend the third one for research. 

http://www.godchecker.com/
http://www.sanatansociety.org/hindu_gods_and_goddesses.htm
http://www.theoi.com/Pantheon.html

Theoi.com is highly recommended....back over the winter, the site was hacked or something and was down for a few days. The Hellenic community had a collective cow. (I admit, I was among them, This is the single best site I have ever seen for research of Hellenic deities, and I think it's sad that no one's tried to compile such a site- as far as I've been able to tell- for other pantheons. I know that many don't have the extensive primary material available that the Hellenics do, but smaller, comparable sites could conceivably be made.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Serenah
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 07, 2009, 01:33:15 am

Religion: Scottish Celtic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 05, 2007, 11:10:57 am »

I know there are some good general mythology sites and books wandering around out there, and every once in a while they get dug up and suggested to someone who's asked a question.  But there are also plenty of resources dedicated to the mythology and/or worship of just one or two deities, which I think (I would hope, at least) tend to go a little more in depth.  I also know that many of us have a particular interest in one or two or a small handful of deities, and thus have run across these resources concerning the deities we're interested in (or vice versa), so I thought...  Why not start a thread and see if we can collect some of those in one place instead of them just kind of showing up in bits and pieces as people express an interest in learning about particular deities?

Are there any deity-specific books or links you would recommend?

I'll go looking...YEAH!

One of my problems, though, and I'm sure everyone's run into this, is that, because of my path (Celtic/Scottish) I find a lot of conflicting info. on the same deities. Should you go by the writer's reputation when this happens? Sometimes I'll mull over the dif. info. and see what just "feels" right. With very little recorded history in these faiths, is that overall acceptable?

Blessed Be...Serenah

"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not..."
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: June 05, 2007, 12:07:17 pm »

One of my problems, though, and I'm sure everyone's run into this, is that, because of my path (Celtic/Scottish) I find a lot of conflicting info. on the same deities. Should you go by the writer's reputation when this happens? Sometimes I'll mull over the dif. info. and see what just "feels" right. With very little recorded history in these faiths, is that overall acceptable?

My personal feeling is that the authors with the most credibility get the most respect from me.  By crediblity, I mean they're the ones who have academic credentials, cite realistic sources, are respected by the experts in the CR community, and are themselves cited by other well-respected authors.

A big red flag for me is when an author says something like:  "All Celts believed X" or "All Celts did X ritual" or anything like that.  The Celts were a very mixed bag, and overgeneralizations like that are a sign of academic laziness, I think. 

Another big red flag is when an author presents Celtic religious/spiritual information (other than what is clearly documented by archeological work) as proven fact.  We just don't know what any of the Celts really believed or how they worshipped.  We have hints from archeology and possible modern survivals of ancient practices.  We have some observations from contemporaneous sources, like the Romans and Greeks who wrote about the Celts.  But all those writings need to be interpreted through the lens of the writer's culture and motivation.

I know that many CRs use information from other cultures to *help* fill in some of the blanks.  F'ex, some scholars have compared what we know of Celtic practices to the practices of peoples in India around the same time.  The theory is that both cultures are descended from a common Indo-European "ancestor culture", and therefore share some common elements.  Although I think that makes sense, at a practical level it doesn't work for me.  I barely have enough time to learn everything I'm trying to learn about the Celts, let alone ALSO trying to learn about Indian spirituality.

Where two well-respected authors conflict in their theories, I will make liberal use of my own UPG.  I don't think there's really any other way to go when so much is missing from the historical record.

~MI

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 21, 2007, 10:39:14 pm »

Theoi.com is highly recommended....back over the winter, the site was hacked or something and was down for a few days. The Hellenic community had a collective cow. (I admit, I was among them, This is the single best site I have ever seen for research of Hellenic deities, and I think it's sad that no one's tried to compile such a site- as far as I've been able to tell- for other pantheons. I know that many don't have the extensive primary material available that the Hellenics do, but smaller, comparable sites could conceivably be made.

For the Ancient Egyptian deities, there are contradictions, but most of them are due to different locations.  Sobek is the spouse of Hethert in the Faiyum area and their son is Khonsu.  In another area, (wow I forgot the city, though I'm thinking Kom Ombo for some reason), Sobek is the son of Nit and Set.  Aset's husband is Wesir, but her consort in Koptos is Min and their son is Heru-Sa-Aset.  There is another one where Aset and Wesir's son is Min.  This diversity is celebrated and could be seen as another layer of their mysteries to unravel as their relationships with eachother often do. 

Each city also had their own creation myths and thus creators.  All of these are viewed as "true" and an explaination of creation.  Nit, Amun, Ptah, Khnum (creates the ka on a potters wheel), Ra, Nefertem, Amun-Ra, Djehuty, etc. 

All the relevant material may not be readily available due to some things not being translated into English and it would take someone who knew multiple languages in order to do what theoi.com has done. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 10:41:25 pm by SatAset, Reason: clarify meaning » Logged

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)