The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 23, 2019, 03:16:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 03:16:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Meditation and focusing your mind.  (Read 9025 times)
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: October 22, 2007, 02:48:46 pm »

Id really like to know some of the tools, techniques, and resources you have used when first learning to meditate and focus your mind. Im having terrible problems getting parts of my mind -to-shut-up!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: October 22, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »

I’m having terrible problems getting parts of my mind -to-shut-up!

Best tip I ever got was to not try to make your mind shut up.  Instead, let thoughts happen, but don't hang on to them--kind of let them go in one ear and out the other, as it were.  The way I read (somewhere, it's been ages and ages, I can't remember where) to do this was to visualize your thoughts written on a chalkboard, whiteboard, etc. in front of you, and picture yourself wiping them away.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #2: October 22, 2007, 06:11:45 pm »

Id really like to know some of the tools, techniques, and resources you have used when first learning to meditate and focus your mind. Im having terrible problems getting parts of my mind -to-shut-up!

The constant chitty-chat in the head gets less if you stick with meditations, promise  Grin

Don't try to shut them up, just say - Thanks, but not now - and go back to concentrate on breathing, or whatever kind of meditation you use. First you'll have to do this what seems constantly, but it'll get better.

It's like training a puppy to walk on the leash  Wink

'Yes dear mind, you are allowed to think, but not in a tangled up way. So let's go this direction now.'

Kind of that  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thats what people never really understood..Things had to balance. You couldnt set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
sile
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 12, 2008, 03:28:39 pm

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 22, 2007, 10:10:42 pm »

Isn't the monkey mind wonderful?  It expends all that mental energy trying to get your attention and it's usually successful.

Like Tana said, trying to shut it up, or telling the monkey to sit down just doesn't work.  You have to do something to pull your attention away from the chatter.  Some people gaze at a candle, some gently roll a string of beads between their fingers.  I use one of the most popular techniques and watch my breath.

The first 20 times I was told that I thought well cool, I'll watch my breath then, and when I tried it it'd work for a couple minutes and I'd lose my concentration.  It wasn't until I read a couple Buddhist meditation guides that I found a method for effectively watching my breath.

The guide said to focus on feeling my breath as it passed through the rim of my nostrils.  It said to inhale and exhale through my nose.  It said to let my breath flow normally, not deeper than normal, nor shallower than normal.  I read that when my mind became active, when thoughts tried to intrude, I should experience them.  Not entertain them, or think about them, but just kind of tip my hat to them and allow them to pass on by while continuing to focus on my breath as it passed the rim of my nostrils.

Any time I have trouble going to sleep I begin focusing my breathing this way and tipping my hat at the thoughts that have been keeping me awake.  Sleep usually comes quickly.

Good luck in learning this new skill.  It'll change your life.

Sile
Allstar
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 19, 2009, 03:05:02 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 22, 2007, 10:59:12 pm »

I think maybe starting with guided meditations might help.  For me it kind of helped to train my brain to focus.  I found meditations in books and recorded them, but you can buy them as well.

joshuatenpenny
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2007, 08:09:28 pm

Religion: Asphodel, recon-derived eclectic paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: October 22, 2007, 11:18:40 pm »

The most useful advice I have gotten came from a book on Chaos Magick or something like that. (I don't recall exactly - it wasn't the sort of thing I'd usually read, but I was waiting in an occult shop for someone to pick me up.)

They broke it down in to steps. I'll try to remember them as best I can.

First, still your gaze. Don't worry about whether you are thinking, or fidgeting, or whatever. Just pick an object or symbol to focus on and keep your eyes on it. Let your mind wander where it will, just don't take your eyes off the object of focus. You can even walk around if you like, so long as you stay looking at the object. Carry it with you if you need to go to the bathroom - whatever you need to do. Do this for a while, until you feel like you've got the hang of it and can do it without struggle for twenty minutes or so. (Or however long your goal is.)

Then, still your body. Once you've got the hang of the stilled gaze, stop fidgeting. Just sit/stand/lay/whatever in one position. In practicing stilling your gaze, you probably found a position that worked for you. Use that, whatever it is. If you have trouble with this step, first still the large movements of the body allowing for a certain amount of fidgeting, and cut back gradually on the fidgeting after you have the large movements under control. Alternately, don't allow any fidgeting but allow shifts between two or three different set postures, as you feel the need for it. Or, move in a rhythmic way, like rocking back and forth.

Once you've got the hang of that, still the breath. Breath evenly and calmly. Getting emotionally riled up or frustrated will tend to alter your breath, so this helps settle the emotions.

Once you've got the hang of that, still the mind. Think just about the object you are focusing on. Lots of thoughts, if you are so inclined, but only about the object you are focued on. Don't stray too far. Over time, draw that focus tighter and tighter, until you can be immersed in a solitary aspect of the object, a single point of focus.

So I totally dig this method, and I found it more helpful and encouraging than any other advice I've found.

-- Joshua

joshuatenpenny
Journeyman
Last Login:November 01, 2007, 08:09:28 pm

Religion: Asphodel, recon-derived eclectic paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 22, 2007, 11:24:57 pm »

One other thing - I used to use a specific piece of music (bamboo flute music... "Full Moon, Hollow Bone") to drown out the noise of other people in my house. Otherwise I'd find myself struggling not to listen to conversations happening on the other side of the house. This had the added benefit that humming the first five notes of that piece of music is very effective at simmering me down when I get riled up over something.

I'm also a big fan of earplugs.

-- Joshua

Figment99
Master Member
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 05:02:26 pm

Religion: Pagan with Green and Kitchen Witch leanings

I'm trying to bloom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 22, 2007, 11:26:25 pm »

I agree with pretty much everyone else, don't try to stop the mind, just let the thoughts go...they aren't important at the moment. One technique that I read about and used was a visualization meditation. Its in steps and you will notice that the furthur you go the quieter you mind gets.

Start with something simple...like a red circle or even just the color red and meditated and visualize that. Next time make it a red circle. When you can visualize and focus on that pretty well, then try to make it into a red ball, make it 3D. Next put a stripe, or number, or letter on the ball and meditate and visualize that. Just keep getting it more complex each time you have accomplished the focus you want. It is more of a mental exercise than anything else and it really helped me to keep my focus for my spiritual meditations.

I hope this helps,
Sarah

True Greatness Shows Great Kindness

A Pagan Egroup -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <-Feel free to join
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 22, 2007, 11:29:33 pm »

Sometimes it seems to help me to just jump right into making my mind do something, instead of trying to be quiet and still from the get-go. If I'm calm all ready, I usually can just focus on my breathing and go from there.

If I'm particularly noisy or preoccupied for whatever reason, I'll do a couple deep, kind of quick breaths and visualize the agitated/nervous energy pouring out of me like smoke. Right after, I'll just go for it and do a slow scan through my body of whatever energy seems appropriate, starting at my head down to my feet and back up.

By the time that's done, my mind has usually been preoccupied enough with visualizing and staying busy on something productive that it gets sort of reset and I can go back to being in a sort of classic meditation of stillness.

And it's definitely important to be physically comfortable! I don't know if it's because I have scoliosis or whatever, but I could never get comfortable sitting, even though laying down felt almost too lazy. lol. But that's the way that works best for me, so whatever!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Cathira
Master Member
Last Login:November 01, 2008, 04:26:24 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Kemetically-influenced mental decoration & maintenance scheme
Awards: Site Assistant

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 23, 2007, 07:03:50 am »

You might also have more success with a physical, or walking meditation. I have done this before and it is quite effective (and good for you at the same time!) at stilling your mind and helping train your focus in on one thing at a time. It might help you get a handle on the stilling your mind part, which will make a traditional mediation simpler.

Simply go for a walk (or jog, if you're energetic) and concentrate on your body, to the exclusion of all alse (I highly recommend you stay off the roads and in a relatively safe area for this one). Concentrate on your breathing, or on the steps you are taking (try counting your steps as you go, eg. 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4...) and away you go.

I do this when I walk to work, and find I am much calmer during the day and when I get home.

Yoga and Tai Chi are also similar, in that they help to train your mind as well, rather than just doing the exercise.

I can't stress highly enough though, the need to be very careful where and at what time you try this one. If you need to be aware of your surroundings for your own safety, then leave it for another day.

I'm a cute kitty,
Small and pretty,
Feed me chocolate day and night,
Just be forewarned I have quite a bite!
Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 23, 2007, 07:24:39 am »

I meditate depending on the need but in the beginning, I did a lot of visual meditations.
*being a visual person/learner* Started with an apple. See it, see the colour, rotate it, smell it.
Another was to do with hearing. Had a hard time outside to focus on wildlife since they redid the highway it has gotten busier and noiser. I get focusing on the traffic which drowns out the rest.
Finally I decided to allow focus on the traffic, since my mind would not let it go. Once I did, I was able to filter out the traffic and began to hear individual birds, frogs, the wind... leaving the traffic noise far behind.

Later I began focusing on my own energies/chakras. One at a time until it was quick and easy to access.

Energy Follows Attention
southerngoddes
Journeyman
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 09:08:41 am
Argentina Argentina

Religion: none

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 23, 2007, 09:21:20 am »

Oh! don't worry, its very normal, I practice meditation very often, usually from 5 to 20 minutes three or twice per week, and on weekends  an 1 and a half. From that 1 and 1/2 I think  I can concentrate 20 minutes....... I talked  with the person who instructs me in meditation and he said is okay and it takes several years to master something like meditation...... So , keep trying!!!
southerngoddes
Journeyman
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 09:08:41 am
Argentina Argentina

Religion: none

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: October 23, 2007, 09:29:38 am »

Sorry I forgot to tell you, I practice zazen,  some kind of zen meditation, in lotus position, and chanting a sutra after meditated, if you have some question about it, don't hesitate in ask!!!
Reona
Master Member
Last Login:November 06, 2008, 01:36:15 pm

Religion: eclectic Witch

My cat, Boots.

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 24, 2007, 11:00:37 am »

Best tip I ever got was to not try to make your mind shut up.  Instead, let thoughts happen, but don't hang on to them--kind of let them go in one ear and out the other, as it were.  The way I read (somewhere, it's been ages and ages, I can't remember where) to do this was to visualize your thoughts written on a chalkboard, whiteboard, etc. in front of you, and picture yourself wiping them away.

Ill try to remember to let the thoughts go, which is really my main problem. I have an active imagination. This is good for visualizing in ritual and in my writing but every still moment my head is crowded with plot and dialogue.

The bad guy should have green hair.

What? Why?

Its a cool color. And we need a name for his ship.

What ship? There wasnt a ship yesterday!

There is now. Did we ever figure out how to get the witch away from the troll?

No. Is the witch on the ship?

Of course not! Dont be silly.

-This is what is happening in my head 24 hours a day.-

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: October 24, 2007, 11:04:21 am »

Ill try to remember to let the thoughts go, which is really my main problem. I have an active imagination. This is good for visualizing in ritual and in my writing but every still moment my head is crowded with plot and dialogue.

The bad guy should have green hair.

What? Why?

Its a cool color. And we need a name for his ship.

What ship? There wasnt a ship yesterday!

There is now. Did we ever figure out how to get the witch away from the troll?

No. Is the witch on the ship?

Of course not! Dont be silly.

-This is what is happening in my head 24 hours a day.-

Wait .. you mean that's not normal?

Looks normal to me. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)