The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 19, 2019, 01:12:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2019, 01:12:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Meditation and focusing your mind.  (Read 9121 times)
southerngoddes
Journeyman
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 09:08:41 am
Argentina Argentina

Religion: none

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: October 24, 2007, 04:42:02 pm »

Ill try to remember to let the thoughts go, which is really my main problem. I have an active imagination. This is good for visualizing in ritual and in my writing but every still moment my head is crowded with plot and dialogue.

The bad guy should have green hair.

What? Why?

Its a cool color. And we need a name for his ship.

What ship? There wasnt a ship yesterday!

There is now. Did we ever figure out how to get the witch away from the troll?

No. Is the witch on the ship?

Of course not! Dont be silly.

-This is what is happening in my head 24 hours a day.-

Ha!!  i thought I was the only with that kind of imagination when meditating Tongue!! when i am meditating, for me is not the best moment for such active imagination, but yes, things like that showed up in the most intense moment .........it's so funny when that happens to me Tongue

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Rebecca
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 04, 2007, 03:20:59 pm
United States United States

Religion: Senistrognata

Follower of the Goddess Queen Mab

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: October 25, 2007, 06:48:28 am »

I've been having trouble meditating as well, but I've read through these posts and will use these helpful tips. Cheesy It was easy to meditate at first, but now that I have lots of things I need to get done with this weekend, it's gotten harder. But I shall use these tips now.  Smiley

"I am the Fairy Mab:
to me 'tis given the wonders of the human world to keep;
the secrets of the immeasurable past..."
from Queen Mab by P.B. Shelley
southerngoddes
Journeyman
Argentina Argentina

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: October 25, 2007, 03:41:17 pm »

I've been having trouble meditating as well, but I've read through these posts and will use these helpful tips. Cheesy It was easy to meditate at first, but now that I have lots of things I need to get done with this weekend, it's gotten harder. But I shall use these tips now.  Smiley

Other thing you can you for clear your mind when you are  trying to relax is to count..... my teacher has given me a "counting for zazen", in my case, the most important is to control and exercise breathing techniques, I cant think or imagine anything while Im meditating, so the counting its helps my mind to not think  Tongue. The counting it helps my breathing, because I release air when I am doing it, but I dont count loud, just with mentally. Hope this tip can help you  Wink
Silberschein
Apprentice
Last Login:December 26, 2007, 12:03:05 pm
Switzerland Switzerland

Religion: Solitary

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: October 27, 2007, 04:48:02 pm »

Im having terrible problems getting parts of my mind -to-shut-up!

Don't shut up your mind. It helps me to concentrate on my breath first, then open chacras or illuminate my aura - concentrating myself on feelings - then visualizing my private place in mind. If my thoughts just wont pass, I imagine them being washed out by a waterfall.....and the water is bringing me to my private place....

Silberschein
sile
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 12, 2008, 03:28:39 pm

Religion: eclectic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: October 29, 2007, 06:15:15 pm »

Other thing you can you for clear your mind when you are  trying to relax is to count..... my teacher has given me a "counting for zazen", in my case, the most important is to control and exercise breathing techniques,

I practice zazen too and I almost forgot about counting.  It was maddening to never be able to make it to ten without having to stop to examine a thought and then going back to one and starting over again.  Also, the zazen posture has become my favorite posture for meditations of all types, even though I never thought it would.  I'd always been a sloucher but zazen really screwed that up for me.   My wife gives me a hard time about only having good posture while I'm meditating, but if she understood that the posture was as important as the breathing she'd go cook my dinner and leave me alone.  (ducks to avoid projectiles caused by sexist comment)
rose
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 01, 2011, 10:16:28 pm

Religion: Shakti Wiccan with Reclaiming leanings
TCN ID: rose

Blog entries (0)

rose shannon

Ignore
« Reply #20: October 29, 2007, 10:32:29 pm »

My wife gives me a hard time about only having good posture while I'm meditating, but if she understood that the posture was as important as the breathing she'd go cook my dinner and leave me alone.  (ducks to avoid projectiles caused by sexist comment)

Actually, the same could be said for my husband.
Although instead of cooking dinner, he'd go back to watching his Cowboys...how's that for a sexist comment Wink

Goddess grant me:
  The power of Water,
  to accept with ease & grace what I cannot change.

The power of Fire,
  for the energy & courage to change the things I can.

The power of Air,
  for the ability and wisdom to know the difference.

And the power of Earth,
  for the strength to continue my path.

http://rosejayadal.blogspot.com/
Rebecca
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 04, 2007, 03:20:59 pm

Religion: Senistrognata

Follower of the Goddess Queen Mab

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: October 30, 2007, 05:44:48 pm »

Other thing you can you for clear your mind when you are  trying to relax is to count..... my teacher has given me a "counting for zazen", in my case, the most important is to control and exercise breathing techniques, I cant think or imagine anything while Im meditating, so the counting its helps my mind to not think  Tongue. The counting it helps my breathing, because I release air when I am doing it, but I dont count loud, just with mentally. Hope this tip can help you  Wink

I'll try that also Cheesy

This man came into class today to talk to us about dealing with stress. At the end of class, he had us meditate. He made us close our eyes and spoke to us, telling us to first focus on and relax the forehead, and later the rest of the face, the neck, shoulders, and so on. It really helped! I've never felt so relaxed after that exercise. I'm going to try it again with my daily meditations.

"I am the Fairy Mab:
to me 'tis given the wonders of the human world to keep;
the secrets of the immeasurable past..."
from Queen Mab by P.B. Shelley
Jendielle
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 28, 2008, 11:46:07 pm

Religion: Discordian cyber-shaman

100% alive parrot

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: October 31, 2007, 04:28:23 pm »

Id really like to know some of the tools, techniques, and resources you have used when first learning to meditate and focus your mind. Im having terrible problems getting parts of my mind -to-shut-up!

When I was first starting to meditate, I had a really hard time keeping my mind quiet.

The solution that works for me is this:

1)I imagine all of my worries and thoughts as balloons attached to my mind with strings. I imagine a pair of scissors and cut all of the strings, releasing them.

2) I imagine a bright burning light, sometimes it is a portal and other times a candle, depending on my mood. I let any thoughts in my head run through my mind. I see them, notice them, don't try to ignore them- then send them into the light. I do not focus or think about any of them, just look and then toss them into the light.

3) I imagine an object that I am familiar with. The first one that was suggested to me was a lemon, and I still use that. I imagine a lemon in my head. I look at it closer and notice everything about it. I see the dimples in the skin. I imagine how it would feel in my hand, and how it smells, and poke a hole in it with a fingernail and smell it. I make the lemon the only focus of my mind, until everything else is black.

4) I then deconstruct what I just did, make it immaterial again and leaving only blackness. While I do this I begin to focus on my breathing. I do not attempt to alter it, or think "breathe in/breathe out", I just become aware of the feeling and the sound of air moving through my lungs.

5) When I feel that there is nothing at all in my head but my breathing, I let myself relax my focus on that. I become aware of how the inside of my head feels, quiet and empty.

6) when there is nothing left at all, nothing but quiet emptyness, I rest that way for a little while to enjoy the silence.

7) When I am ready, I imagine that I am standing in this empty blackness. I have a key in my hand. There is nothing but myself and the key. Once I have the key, I see a door in my head. I use the key to open the door and step through to wherever i need to go for my meditation.

Ill try to remember to let the thoughts go, which is really my main problem. I have an active imagination. This is good for visualizing in ritual and in my writing but every still moment my head is crowded with plot and dialogue.

The bad guy should have green hair.

What? Why?

Its a cool color. And we need a name for his ship.

What ship? There wasnt a ship yesterday!

There is now. Did we ever figure out how to get the witch away from the troll?

No. Is the witch on the ship?

Of course not! Dont be silly.

-This is what is happening in my head 24 hours a day.-

I do that, too. I have a whole slew of Jendielle mind-critters that are always talking, and then over all that is my muse who can be worse than any of them, particularly if I shut myself up. He's like "Ooh! I'm gonna talk now that you're not paying attention to that pesky little thing you call life"

My solution for that was to make myself a "room" in the big crazy cyberpunk warehouse that is my head where I can go to be alone- interestingly enough, my aforementioned muse has done the same thing. Its a place where nothing but me can enter without knocking and having me let them in, it is where i go to meditate and get some quiet when I need it.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 04:36:54 pm by Jendielle, Reason: added another quote and reply » Logged

Imagine a window with a grid drawn on it. We view chaos through this window and align chaos with points on this grid, and mistakenly define this grid as Reality. Different people see through different grids. Some may be more useful than others, some more pretty, but none is more True than any other.
Violet
Journeyman
Last Login:December 07, 2009, 12:44:07 am
Australia Australia

Religion: ...Who Knows

If you wait, I'll give all my aches to you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: November 01, 2007, 08:10:23 am »

Im having terrible problems getting parts of my mind -to-shut-up!

Ive only just started meditating a bit over a month ago and i spent the first week driving myself mad trying to do exactly this, before i realised there were other ways to meditate Cheesy

I cant follow guided meditations that ive read elsewhere, because i spend too much time trying to remember where im meant to be going next; but i can visualise and explore my own spontaneously imagined locations.. i find focusing on the little details helps when i do this and keeps my mind from wandering..

I also have to do a lot of relaxation exercises to get me in the zone, so to speak, one i like is to focus on each part of my body (toes, feet, ankles, etc) and feel the tension flowing out of my body through the tips of my fingers and toes.

Another, i read somewhere as an entry technique for past life regression, is to imagine your body swelling to twice its size, then shrinking back down, then swelling up even larger, then back down and so on until you can imagine yourself filling up the sky...

Hope this helps, Smiley

Let us go then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky,
Like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot
Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #24: November 12, 2007, 12:21:07 pm »

Id really like to know some of the tools, techniques, and resources you have used when first learning to meditate and focus your mind. Im having terrible problems getting parts of my mind -to-shut-up!

Ozy and Millie had a strip the other day that reminded me of this thread: link.

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
southerngoddes
Journeyman
Argentina Argentina

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: November 12, 2007, 02:23:50 pm »

I'll try that also Cheesy

This man came into class today to talk to us about dealing with stress. At the end of class, he had us meditate. He made us close our eyes and spoke to us, telling us to first focus on and relax the forehead, and later the rest of the face, the neck, shoulders, and so on. It really helped! I've never felt so relaxed after that exercise. I'm going to try it again with my daily meditations.

actually , my teacher doesn't allow me to keep my  eyes closed, he wants me to keep them open in a  determinate point of the floor
Valley Boy
Apprentice
Last Login:January 01, 2008, 12:41:30 pm

Religion: All

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: November 12, 2007, 04:05:26 pm »

The first step in meditation is removing the intellectual mind, the part that can do mathematics for instance, from the stream of consciousness.    To do the first step, a person has to make the intellectual mind bored.  Already here, you have gotten many suggestions on how to do that.  My first time was sitting in my grandmother's house listening to the wind on the old oak trees, but really concentrating on the listening.  What is there for the intellectual mind to do here?  It just left me.  In this first stage, the subconscious mind can bubble up into the consciousness.  For instance, I can feel agitated and not know why in my intellectual frame of mind, but with this first step in meditation, by subconscious mind will eventually let me know what the issue is.  It takes about twenty minutes if I have been meditating regularly; otherwise, it may take several 45-minute sessions to know my feelings.  After working with a concentration technique, a person can effortlessly fall into this first stage meditation by just letting it happen.  At first you may find yourself coming back to the intellectual mind, but just go back to your chosen method of concentration and you will find yourself back looking at your unconscious feelings which will eventually resolve into the main issue.  Knowing your unconscious main issue is good because then you can divine (the second stage of meditation) a way to work with the feelings and evolve into a better person.
Silberschein
Apprentice
Last Login:December 26, 2007, 12:03:05 pm
Switzerland Switzerland

Religion: Solitary

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: November 12, 2007, 04:32:27 pm »

The first step in meditation is removing the intellectual mind, the part that can do mathematics for instance, from the stream of consciousness.   

Thanks Valley for this explanation. It never crossed my mind, that, falling into meditation, my intellectual mind just leaves me. Finally I understand why I get sometimes agitated, bored before the whole trip becomes interesting and I can start talking to my subconsciousnes.

Silberschein
Valley Boy
Apprentice
Last Login:January 01, 2008, 12:41:30 pm

Religion: All

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: November 12, 2007, 05:37:57 pm »

I can start talking to my subconsciousnes.

Silberschein
I never tried talking back to my subconscious because I found it to be stronger in running my life than my consciousness.  Let the subconscious flow into the meditation where you can recognize what is going on.
AlfrFiter5
Apprentice
Last Login:December 12, 2007, 08:54:06 pm
Greece Greece

Religion: Searching for One

We are all One

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: November 12, 2007, 08:32:07 pm »

When i first started meditating, or whenever I am having trouble focusing my mind, I always try to bring up a constant sound that I like. Such as waves breaking on the shore, or the wind in the trees.

"Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell. I was alone, forgotten, without escape on the hard horn on the world."
J.R.R. Tolkien

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)