The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 24, 2021, 06:18:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2021, 06:18:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: A Christian political leader on the threat of a third party  (Read 17210 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: October 23, 2007, 08:00:15 am »

So what are your thoughts on this sort of thing? Does it seem hypocritical for a religious group to tell someone that to win their support that candidate is going to have to assure them the candidate's religion won't inform his political actions?

'This Is Not a Bluff'
A Christian political leader on the threat of a third party.

Well, I think the term "flip-flopper" was coined by your side, wasn't it?
Well, not by me … But I think that if he wants to gain the kind of support [from] evangelicals that he wants, he needs to give a JFK-type speech [in which Kennedy said he was "not the Catholic candidate for president" but rather a candidate "who happens also to be a Catholic"]. I have told him this.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/57631

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 23, 2007, 08:07:38 am »

So what are your thoughts on this sort of thing? Does it seem hypocritical for a religious group to tell someone that to win their support that candidate is going to have to assure them the candidate's religion won't inform his political actions?

'This Is Not a Bluff'

Well, not by me … But I think that if he wants to gain the kind of support [from] evangelicals that he wants, he needs to give a JFK-type speech [in which Kennedy said he was "not the Catholic candidate for president" but rather a candidate "who happens also to be a Catholic"]. I have told him this.

No, because he is not their religion.  The thing to remember is that the only religious liberty that they are really interested in securing is their own, and they don't really pretend otherwise, so if you are not of their brand, you have to convince them that you will protect their verson.  THey don't really care if you protect anyone else, just so long as theirs is protected, or preferably pushed. Since they assume that you will think the same way they do, which will cause you problems with them, you have to convince them you won't push your religion.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: October 23, 2007, 08:11:21 am »

The whole thing is bizarre.

and it's not saying "you should be religious" .. it's saying "you should suck up to our desires".  The fact that they're religiously based values is irrelevant.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: October 23, 2007, 08:16:14 am »

I don't think that's what he really wants. I don't think he just wants a Kennedy style reassurance that he does not take orders from the Pope, but will take them from the American people even if the Pope disagrees. He really wants I "while I'm a Catholic, I will push through all your agenda items just as if I were a Fundie -- regardless of what the Pope of the majority of the American people say" speech.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
mandrina
High Adept Member

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 23, 2007, 08:23:09 am »

I don't think that's what he really wants. I don't think he just wants a Kennedy style reassurance that he does not take orders from the Pope, but will take them from the American people even if the Pope disagrees. He really wants I "while I'm a Catholic, I will push through all your agenda items just as if I were a Fundie -- regardless of what the Pope of the majority of the American people say" speech.

exactly.  And there is not that much pretense that the latter is not what they want. They just act and think that their agenda is actually what the 'american people' want.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: October 23, 2007, 08:46:09 am »

exactly.  And there is not that much pretense that the latter is not what they want. They just act and think that their agenda is actually what the 'american people' want.

and even if it's not what they ACTUALLY want, it's what they SHOULD want so that's close enough.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: October 23, 2007, 12:57:17 pm »

'This Is Not a Bluff'

Actually, my reaction on the threat of a third party if Guilliani or Romney is the candidate is:

PLEASE!  DO IT!  YES! WOO HOO!  Make that third Party!

that enough encouragement?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: October 23, 2007, 01:01:20 pm »

Actually, my reaction on the threat of a third party if Guilliani or Romney is the candidate is:

In my book, yes.  I would personally love it if there is a third party to split the GOP vote.  I don't know about you, but I'm sick and tired to Republicans.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: October 23, 2007, 01:03:19 pm »

LOL...you sound like me.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 23, 2007, 01:32:09 pm »

LOL...you sound like me.
Me too!  My first thought was "That would be SO cool! PleasePleasePlease..."

It seems like it's always the left that's getting split by third parties. (*cough*Nader*cough*)  It'd be nice to see the other side have to deal with it for a change.

I'm all for a multi party system, actually.  (I'm registered Green, though I usually vote Dem on the national level.)  If the Fundies formed their own party, it'd give the saner republicans a break from "having" to cater to them.  Our government just isn't set up that way.

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: October 23, 2007, 06:18:49 pm »

It seems like it's always the left that's getting split by third parties. (*cough*Nader*cough*)  It'd be nice to see the other side have to deal with it for a change.

I'm all for a multi party system, actually.  (I'm registered Green, though I usually vote Dem on the national level.)  If the Fundies formed their own party, it'd give the saner republicans a break from "having" to cater to them.  Our government just isn't set up that way.

<insert whole row of nodding emoticons here>

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Wanderer894
Master Member
Last Login:April 07, 2011, 10:47:22 pm

Religion: The Way of the Dragonfly/Ignostic Pagan Humanist
TCN ID: Wanderer894

another day, another round of "WTF?"

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: November 01, 2007, 02:59:58 pm »

It would be interesting to see how the right deals with a split.  My personal prediction would be "Not very well at all" but they could surprise us.  Maybe.

It also makes me wonder how well people would handle having the party system overhauled so that it's no longer two parties vying for power. 

Rituals do not make Life; Life is what you consider the most important, and the most fun.
Just another hapless human trying to figure out what the frell makes this world tick, and how to avoid the idiots who make my head hurt
Stop the war, impeach the war criminals.

Bored much? My Blog: Gray Reverie
Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: November 01, 2007, 07:23:33 pm »

I don't think it would change very much, honestly. It's important to remember that 'Christian' is only half of 'Christian Right'. The other half is staunch nationalism, and that's one button that nobody pushes better than Republicans.

As long as they metaphorically wrap themselves in the flag while brandishing a crucifix, talented GOP candidates will always be able to carry a solid majority of self-identified 'born-again' Christians during an election cycle...in my opinion.

Tell them what they want to hear, and they will come...

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.
mandrina
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: November 01, 2007, 08:34:17 pm »

I don't think it would change very much, honestly. It's important to remember that 'Christian' is only half of 'Christian Right'. The other half is staunch nationalism, and that's one button that nobody pushes better than Republicans.

As long as they metaphorically wrap themselves in the flag while brandishing a crucifix, talented GOP candidates will always be able to carry a solid majority of self-identified 'born-again' Christians during an election cycle...in my opinion.

Tell them what they want to hear, and they will come...

Well, put a damper on things don't you.

I can hope. . . .

Aetius
Master Member
Last Login:August 09, 2009, 09:41:56 pm

Religion: Hellenismos

Hellenic Polytheist Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: November 01, 2007, 08:48:49 pm »

Well, put a damper on things don't you.

I can hope. . . .

Sorry. It's the one thing that didn't fly out of Pandora's Box, and it pains me to rob you of it.

Too bad the Gods can't save me from my own stupidity.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)