The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 12, 2021, 11:20:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2021, 11:20:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Teens and Wackjobs  (Read 11652 times)
V
Journeyman
Last Login:November 27, 2008, 01:10:38 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: June 01, 2007, 08:35:05 pm »

Yes, it's very discouraging being when people are constantly telling you to wait until you're older to join anything. How can we know it's something worth waiting for if we can't really experience it to see?

I agree this is a huge disadvantage for teen seekers.  I used to give classes in basic wicca and, over the course of a couple of years had 3 teens in my classes.  All three of them were there with a parent which is the ONLY way I could do it with the current political climate.  Two of the three teens were fantastic students.

If someone started a teen-pagan group, he/she would be considered to be wacky before any evidence could be gathered.  But, if the political climate changed, there are a bunch of us who would advise such a group in a heart-beat. 

However, I have a couple of questions that address this (completely theoretical) pagan youth group: one has to do with the rights of youth to decide for themselves on spiritual topics and the other has to do with selection of members in a pagan youth group.

On the first one, I've always felt that it was personally unethical to push religious ideas on minors.  I didn't teach my kids much about religion; I wanted them to grow up and make their own decisions.  So if I was a leader of this theoretical group, how would I reconcile it?

And, the second ethical concern I would have is that I have always thought of youth-type groups as come one, come all.  You know...the "We don't say no to anyone" slogan.  I think that being inclusive would be very important, yet I don't know any High Priestess, High Priest, or Elder-type who would agree to teach magic or engage in ritual with just anyone off the street.  How would you square this up?

If you stand with one foot in yesterday and the other foot in tomorrow, you'll piss all over today.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #31: June 01, 2007, 08:38:39 pm »

I agree this is a huge disadvantage for teen seekers.  I used to give classes in basic wicca and, over the course of a couple of years had 3 teens in my classes.  All three of them were there with a parent which is the ONLY way I could do it with the current political climate.  Two of the three teens were fantastic students.

If someone started a teen-pagan group, he/she would be considered to be wacky before any evidence could be gathered.  But, if the political climate changed, there are a bunch of us who would advise such a group in a heart-beat. 

However, I have a couple of questions that address this (completely theoretical) pagan youth group: one has to do with the rights of youth to decide for themselves on spiritual topics and the other has to do with selection of members in a pagan youth group.

On the first one, I've always felt that it was personally unethical to push religious ideas on minors.  I didn't teach my kids much about religion; I wanted them to grow up and make their own decisions.  So if I was a leader of this theoretical group, how would I reconcile it?

And, the second ethical concern I would have is that I have always thought of youth-type groups as come one, come all.  You know...the "We don't say no to anyone" slogan.  I think that being inclusive would be very important, yet I don't know any High Priestess, High Priest, or Elder-type who would agree to teach magic or engage in ritual with just anyone off the street.  How would you square this up?

Well, for the first: unless you're dragging kids off the streets to attend these classes, you're not pushing religion on them. They're out looking for it, just like any other seeker.

As for the second: having a diverse group of teachers would help with that- if one couldn't teach or handle a particular student, they might be able to send the student to a teacher who would be more successful.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Diannaskye
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 16, 2008, 05:41:18 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: June 04, 2007, 06:25:18 pm »

In the "Pagan Wackjobs" thread a thought occurred to me in Star's post.

This has me wondering, is drama just inherent to teenagers?

Well, a teenager is bound to have *some* drama in their life. But I don't think it's just inherent for mass drama. There'll ba a little bit, but I doubt it's just oing to pop up everywhere.

That said, with a new religion there is *always* at least a smidgeon of drama unless it's a very slow gradual type of change. I mean slow and gradual as in over the entire time of teendom.

I know some teens who are more prone to drama *looks at self* and some who aren't.

But I've never run into  a wackjob-at least, not a Pagan/religious wackjob. Racist wackjob, yes. Religious? Nah, not really. (Unless we're talking about the racist one being a bit anti-everyone-else's-religion).

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)