The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2019, 06:39:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 06:39:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Divorce and your faith  (Read 8927 times)
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm
United States United States

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: October 24, 2007, 10:52:21 am »

I do think there needs to be a change on the *personal* level for many people.  I honestly think that too much emphasis is placed on romantic love.  That kind of love makes you feel all squishy, but it isn't going to keep the marriage going.  Marriages survive and thrive on the kind of love that changes diapers at 2:00 o'clock in the morning, not the kind that fills the bathtub with rose petals.

I agree that there is a significant predilection amongst people now-a-days to treat marriage as disposable.  I would suggest that this is a perspective that has come to pass in recent decades due to an industrial society with the attitude of, "Oh, well, it's broken.  Just toss it out and buy another one."

I find it ruefully amusing that we have laws against parallel polygamy and yet serial polygamy has become de rigeur.  Especially when you consider that of the interviews I've seen of parallel polygamists, and by this I mean those of the Mormon faith who agree to interviews, they seem by-and-large happier than others with a single partner. 

By the time I graduated high school I had been an unwilling participant in three divorces and a fourth well on it's way.  When my wife and I got married I made her a promise, "I am only getting married once this lifetime.  No matter what happens we work it out."  I have no intention of treating my wife nor my children with the kind of callous disregard and perception of inconveniance that so many seem to have for their marriage vows.  But then, I'm a romantic at heart, which, now that I stop and consider how I grew up, is nothing short of miraculous.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)