The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 22, 2021, 02:24:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2021, 02:24:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Playing with Ubuntu 7.10  (Read 7086 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: October 25, 2007, 05:52:27 pm »

Since Ubuntu 7.10 (aka Gutsy Gibbon) came out last week and looked pretty nice in a virtual machine, I went ahead and split my new huge hard drive into two 150 gig partitions and installed Gutsy as a dual boot. I'll be playing with it on and off as time permits.

I've used Linux before but always returned to Windows because I needed programs that only run on Windows. Virtualization has improved by leaps and bounds since the last time I tried using Linux, so I'm hopeful that a virtualized Win2K or Win XP will work good enough this time -- Win98 (which is what worked last time I tried Linux) just does not cut it. I'm going to give it a try because there is no way I'm going to have Vista as the primary OS on any machine I own -- I'm not even sure I would want it in a VM. Smiley

BTW, Gutsy was a much smoother install than Mandrake 10 (which was the last Linux I installed). Enabling mp3s, flash, Java, and even DVDs only took a couple of extra downloads and actually worked out without a lot of tinkering and reading FAQs. Windows NTFS drive can be read and written to now. Installing the Nvidia driver was automated. Better yet, Ubuntu is Debian-based which means it uses apt to install software -- which has always worked infinitely better than rpms on handling dependences for me.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: October 25, 2007, 06:09:15 pm »

Since Ubuntu 7.10 (aka Gutsy Gibbon) came out last week and looked pretty nice in a virtual machine, I went ahead and split my new huge hard drive into two 150 gig partitions and installed Gutsy as a dual boot. I'll be playing with it on and off as time permits.

I've been using Ubuntu for a few months now, and just upgraded to 7.0 the other day, and I will never go back to Windows again.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: October 25, 2007, 07:56:49 pm »

I've been using Ubuntu for a few months now, and just upgraded to 7.0 the other day, and I will never go back to Windows again.

At the moment, I'm very impressed with Virtualbox running in Linux. I've installed Win2K (and its service packs) and Office2K (and its service packs) in under 90 minutes. It is one of the faster virtual machines I've used.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: October 25, 2007, 08:25:47 pm »

I ordered the cd's from their website back when they were sending out version 5.x.  I've handed off the lions share of the 20 that I ordered to friends and those who wanted something else to play with.  One of these days, when I have a computer all to myself I'll be doing at least a dual boot using Ubantu.  I haven't had much chance to work with it but I really like what I see on their site and the philosophy driving them.  The fact that it's Debian based is just one more plus for me.  In the mean time I can still play with the Knoppix live cd's I have.

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: October 25, 2007, 10:57:41 pm »

I've been using Ubuntu for about 3 weeks now, since Windows completely crashed my computer, and other than the fact that Synaptic Package Manager is currently not working (it says that I need to manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem and I haven't gotten around to figuring out how yet) all seems well, and I am very happy with it. I am even beginning to understand how to use the Shell Terminal Cheesy . Because of Synaptic not working I haven't yet upgraded to Gutsy Gibbon, but I plan on doing that soon.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: October 26, 2007, 08:09:15 am »

I've been using Ubuntu for about 3 weeks now, since Windows completely crashed my computer, and other than the fact that Synaptic Package Manager is currently not working (it says that I need to manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem and I haven't gotten around to figuring out how yet)...

This is actually pretty easy. Bring up your shell terminal. Type

sudo dpkg --configure -a

and press return.  You will be asked for your password with a prompt in the terminal. Type your password and return. Then dpkg will do its thing. "sudo" tells the system to run the command as an administrator (similar to the dialog box asking for your password when you start synaptic).

Randall
Steve - ComW
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 03, 2011, 12:22:07 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Flamekeeper
TCN ID: ComW

A work on progress

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: October 26, 2007, 09:31:04 am »

This is actually pretty easy. Bring up your shell terminal. Type

sudo dpkg --configure -a

and press return.  You will be asked for your password with a prompt in the terminal. Type your password and return. Then dpkg will do its thing. "sudo" tells the system to run the command as an administrator (similar to the dialog box asking for your password when you start synaptic).

Just to be obvious - you need to be set as a Super User to DO that or log in as the admin.

SUDO is better

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: October 26, 2007, 11:55:37 am »

It worked, it worked, it worked Smiley ! Ok, I am very happy now, and feeling a little dumb, I do know the sudo command, don't have a clue why I didn't think of it, only that I have only been doing this about 3 weeks and am still a tad confused. But anyway, thanks and off I go to try out Gutsy Gibbon.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Dania
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 17, 2008, 08:11:47 pm

Religion: Gwyddon Seeker

Queen of Hare-Brained Schemes

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #8: October 26, 2007, 04:32:02 pm »

Wow, everyone seems to be loving this thing! LOL I've never used anything but Windows, except when I used Macs in elementary school eons ago and somehow managed to freeze three of them in a row...hmm...thought Macs were supposed to be impervious...

I haven't tried any other operating mainly because, while I'm computer-savvy enough to do a lot of things with Windows, I don't have a DSL for downloads, I don't know how to partition hard drives or use commands, and my current hard drive is only 80 gig.

I'm not overly fond of Vista but it hasn't made me want to shoot my monitor nearly as much as my old computer, with XP, did. But it was a true "lemon", blew a HD and Motherboard in the first six months, a modem in 11 1/2 and it's HD was on the way out AGAIN (kept bluescreening) when I got this Dell.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: October 26, 2007, 05:02:08 pm »

I haven't tried any other operating mainly because, while I'm computer-savvy enough to do a lot of things with Windows, I don't have a DSL for downloads, I don't know how to partition hard drives or use commands, and my current hard drive is only 80 gig.

Despite what some people think, operating systems are a personal choice. I don't like Vista because (among other things) it gives MS too much control over what I can do with my computer, its licensing terms suck, and it costs too much for the relatively small improvements (at least useful to me improvements) over XP. That doesn't mean that everyone should feel that way or who what to change operating systems. (I happen to like XP. I think with proper tweaking, it's a fine OS. It's Vista I have real problems with.).

I like unix/linux style systems. Of course, I've used them on and off since the mid-1990s and learned to use a command line with computers in the 1980s.

Randall
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #10: October 26, 2007, 05:10:41 pm »

Despite what some people think, operating systems are a personal choice. I don't like Vista because (among other things) it gives MS too much control over what I can do with my computer, its licensing terms suck, and it costs too much for the relatively small improvements (at least useful to me improvements) over XP. That doesn't mean that everyone should feel that way or who what to change operating systems. (I happen to like XP. I think with proper tweaking, it's a fine OS. It's Vista I have real problems with.).

Ah see I didn't pay any extra for my Vista because it was standard on the computer. There wasn't really a choice there, I would have technically been paying for it whether I used it or not. Also, I don't do much with my comp. other than surf the 'net, chat, occasional artwork and writing.

Oaksworn
Adept Member
Last Login:December 25, 2017, 06:17:47 pm

Religion: Energy worker with hedgewitch tendencies

Reality is but perception.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: October 26, 2007, 06:07:30 pm »

Also, I don't do much with my comp. other than surf the 'net, chat, occasional artwork and writing.

Dania, do you have a cable connection?  If so you could try playing with the Knoppix live-Linux OS I posted up-thread.  The reason for the cable connection is two-fold: 1) you have to download a cd's worth of data and then burn the image to a CD.  2) Knoppix recognized my hard-wired cable connection immediately.  Wireless I wasn't able to do anything about but that's ok, I was able to work just fine.

This way you could try playing around with linux with no worries about changing around your computer as it is now.  If you use the 'toram' boot option when you login you can even load the OS directly to your ram.  This has the effect of freeing up your cd drive and lets you play with music options and such.  I would recommend at least a full gig of ram to do this though.

For those who are interested here's a list of general FAQ's on the Knoppix Wiki.

It's a fun system to play with.

::headdesk::  How did I manage to miss the Ubuntu Live CD?  Here's the link for those who are interested: Ubuntu Live CD.  Ok, now I have another toy to go play with... Smiley

"Then I will tell you a great secret, Captain. Perhaps the greatest of all time. The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make up this station, and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out. As we have both learned, sometimes the universe requires a change of perspective. " ~ Delenn, Babylon 5
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: October 26, 2007, 06:10:01 pm »

::headdesk::  How did I manage to miss the Ubuntu Live CD?  Here's the link for those who are interested: Ubuntu Live CD.  Ok, now I have another toy to go play with... Smiley

You can install Ubuntu from the Live CD as well. In fact, that's the normal way to install in. It's great, you get to test it with the Live CD to see if it recognizes your hardware before you commit to installing.

Randall
Dania
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #13: October 26, 2007, 06:20:08 pm »

Dania, do you have a cable connection?  If so you could try playing with the Knoppix live-Linux OS I posted up-thread.  The reason for the cable connection is two-fold: 1) you have to download a cd's worth of data and then burn the image to a CD.  2) Knoppix recognized my hard-wired cable connection immediately.  Wireless I wasn't able to do anything about but that's ok, I was able to work just fine.

Nope. 56k dialup here. Well, if I'm lucky I get 56k. Usually it's around 48k.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: October 28, 2007, 04:35:32 pm »

At the moment, I'm very impressed with Virtualbox running in Linux. I've installed Win2K (and its service packs) and Office2K (and its service packs) in under 90 minutes. It is one of the faster virtual machines I've used.

Win2k fonts, however, look ugly and are very hard to read on a LCD monitor (something I did not have when I last used Win2k), so I went ahead and installed a copy of WinXP on another virtual drive for Virtualbox.  It runs fine (and the fonts are so much more readable with cleartype), but I discovered that WinXP is huge. An install of Win2k (upgraded to SP4) plus Office 2K and a free firewall and antivirus program created a 1.7 gig virtual disk file. An install of WinXP (upgraded to SP2) with the same free firewall and antivirus program created a 6.6 gig virtual disk file (and that's without Office).  Seesh.

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)